• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition New front rest

CSS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2010
Central, AL
I upgraded my front rest to a Caldwell Rock BR.
This is my first rest you can get side tension on the stock.
I also put some teflon stock tape on the stock where it rides the bag.

How much tension/squeze do you put on the stock/forend?

Thanks

Re: New front rest

What bag are you using in the BR rest? How wide is the stock on your gun?

I use a different rest but still the same concept. I tighten it up enough to get rid of any side to side movement. but no so tight it doesn't slide freely.

I have found with mine that if the gun will slide front to back fairly free it shoots the best.

KT

I just shot with Leo L'Amour (Canadian F-Class champ) on Sunday and decided I need a better front rest, after seeing his. He had a 3" block with 1/4" rails underneath his stock to track the foreend. Time to fire up the milling machine. Also make a front rest with pointed 3-4" pads, and an elevation adjuster that doesn't wobble around, like my Caldwell. Of course most of my points dropped was from the gentle fishtail wind when we went to 1K yds. Snatched defeat from the Jaws of Victory once again!! PS: He dropped a few 9's, but my 8's were way uglier.

Rifle has a 3" forend.
Rest came with a 3" Lobe bag.
The Lobe bag is 3 seperate compartments made out of a rough canvas type material. I put teflon tape on the forend where it would ride the bag.

The one match I have shot(the day after I got it) I tightened it up to where I had to pull rifle pretty hard to move it.
I only have a 100yd range to practice on and hopefully I can get out there in a few weeks and try some expermenting.

Thanks for the advice. I'll start loose and work tighter and see if it will make a difference at 100.

Yea it sounds like you might have the rest bag a little tight.

Try loosing it up just a touch. You may also try putting a bit of baby powder on your front and rear bag. That will help the rifle slide easier.

KT

Good advice. I use baby powder but I also put stock tape on my rifle. You want it to track straight back. If you have any friction on the stock it will "pull" on the stock which may cause vertical. You want your front bag tight enough that it keeps it down in the bag but like said above, you dont want it to hold it in place. Look at accurateshooter.com and check out the videos. You can see how the gun tracks.

I have a rimfire rifle that actually likes to be pretty tight in the rest. The only problem with that is making sure that you push hard enough on the rifle to make sure that you hit the stop between shots.