• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new GAP .338 surgeon build

psinclair

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2008
Glasgow, Montana
113.jpg

hey folks,

just picked up this bad boy last thursday and its finally broke in. has 50 rounds through it.so far its shooting the 250 scenar real good. will try the 300 grain scenars after testing a few more powders with the 250s.

Re: new GAP .338 surgeon build

117.jpg

only 100 meters but showing good results. the .2 group was shoot clean shoot clean for 5 shots!

Let me know when you want to sell that. Just kidding. Nice build, if you know of someone that wants or has to sell one like this in primo condition, let me know. You have good taste..SmokeRolls

Very Nice! How about posting some details of the build. What are you using for the front support and what kind of brake do you have?

specs are..
.338 lapua magnum
surgeon xl action
bartlein mtu bbl. 28" 1-9.75 tw.
badger fte brake
mac a-5 terry cross cheek piece, gap camo
jewell trigger
badger 1" 34mm rings
badger bottom (ai) mags
od cerro coat
S&B5-25PMII P4 fine mrad

Nice gun. Great specs. How far have you taken that baby out? I have taken my AIAWSM out to about 1575 yards with good result.

im taking it out in the prairie this week. i need to develop my loads and build a few charts.

what loads are you working with at that range?

im chomping at the bit to air it out!!!

Very fine rifle pgs! That's pretty much the exact .338 set up I hope to have built some day. How much does it weigh?

with a full clip it weighs exactly 20 pounds.

i wanted it to be heavy. not really a carry around rifle but sure is easy to shoot. the recoil feels about like a .243!!

the muzzle blast is a little overwelming at first. i wear plugs and muffs.

I have taken both the 250 scenars (RL25 with 94.5 grains) and 300 SMK (91 grains of RL25). Definitely able to reach out and touch some... thing.

i love the cartridge, borrowed a friends GAP 7000 338 lm last fall to shoot a nice buck antelope at 880 meters. it was like making a 250 meter shot with a conventional rifle.

have you had any problems seating the 300 smk below the neck to obtain proper coal?

ive got 500 300 grn scenars ready to go but so far that 250 is really looking good. what do you feel performs the best in your rifle?

They both shoot very well in my AIAWSM. I have a couple threads on both bullets. I think I would favor the 250 scenars for anything less than 1200 yards (I know it is capable to reach out longer than that). For long distances, I would favor the 300 SMK just because it can buckle the wind much better, especially if you are shooting with a full value cross wind. Also, the availability of the bullet is going to be a factor as well.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=975229#Post975229

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=885160#Post885160

awesome looking rig.Thats the same scope i want, if you don't mind me asking how do like it and what rings are those?

the scope is awesome! i have another one just like it on my surgeon .308. probably over-kill on an 08 but the field of view on 15x is as good as it gets. on this .338 lm i will utilize all 26 mils! should get me out to 2000 meteres with a 200 meter zero.

the rings are badgers 1" high and 34mm. they are great rings but you may want to look at near rings made right there in alberta. i have a pair of those on a surgeon actioned 6xc and they are super nice! they are also a bit lower than 1".