• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM

Sendero_Man

OMWP... the way I roll
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 29, 2007
    Buffalo, Wyoming
    montanagunslings.com
    Got the new GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM !

GA Precision Extreme Hunter
    6.5 SAUM

Templar Extreme Hunter action
    Bartlein 8.7 twist, fluted barrel @ 24”
    Vias brake
    Manners 100% Carbon Fiber SL stock
    APA bottom metal
    Jewell HVR trigger
    Talley LW rings
    NF 2.5-10x32 scope

GAP Extreme Hunter
    IMG_12362.jpg

here is George, Pat and mine in background. First 3 built in the new Extreme Hunter series.
    IMG_12712.jpg

IMG_19963.jpg

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_19972.jpg

These rifles are stupid accurate. Been incredibly impressed so far.

Zero'd at 200 and tested out to 839 yards this weekend at the Icebreaker III shoot. About 50 rounds downrange so far.

I had first round hits at 509, 710, and 839 yards. The 140's and 130's are both very impressive.
    15.2 MOA at 839 with the 140 AMAX.

will post more results soon. Gonna be very impressive platform !!

Last edited:
    Mine Extreme Hunter is #10 and should arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to fire that sucker up. I had hoped to be at the Icebreaker lll but issues with parents kept me from going. I hope to see and meet some of you guys in FL the first weekend in May
    Chris

That is a great hunting rifle! I'm sure you'll have lots of success turning various game inside out with the 6.5 SAUM. Speed goats, pigs, coyotes, wolves and deer won't know what hit them. Let us know what loads you're using and what type of speeds that you're getting.

What is "extreme" about these?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Answer: The speed in which they draw individuals out of the shadows who have nothing positive to contribute to a conversation.

In regards to the rifles above, they look like ideal all around long range hunting guns for the Rocky Mountain West. I would be more than happy to T&E one of those puppies this next fall during elk season. :)

Reactions: CBeck
    What contour is the barrel? What is the total weight? How is the recoil with that light weight of a rifle?

Got the new GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM !

GA Precision Extreme Hunter
    6.5 SAUM

Templar Extreme Hunter action
    Bartlein 8.7 twist, fluted barrel @ 24”
    Vias brake
    Manners 100% Carbon Fiber SL stock
    APA bottom metal
    Jewell HVR trigger
    Talley LW rings
    NF 2.5-10x32 scope

GAP Extreme Hunter
    IMG_12362.jpg

here is George, Pat and mine in background. First 3 built in the new Extreme Hunter series.
    IMG_12712.jpg

These rifles are stupid accurate. Been incredibly impressed so far.

Zero'd at 200 and tested out to 839 yards this weekend at the Icebreaker III shoot. About 50 rounds downrange so far.

Cinch was spotting and I had first round hits at 509, 710, and 839 yards. The 140's and 130's are both very impressive.
    15.2 MOA at 839 with the 140 AMAX.

will post more results soon. Gonna be very impressive platform !!

These offered in long actions? Got a hankering for a non-typical last fall but honestly wanted either a 300wm or 338wm. Not a fan of HS Precision stocks over manners or McMillan either. Of course, contrary to my logic in holding off for a custom 338wm build I picked up a HS Precision in 325wsm from Mile High Shooting.

Would love one these defiance action'd guns in 300wm.

Answer: The speed in which they draw individuals out of the shadows who have nothing positive to contribute to a conversation.

In regards to the rifles above, they look like ideal all around long range hunting guns for the Rocky Mountain West. I would be more than happy to T&E one of those puppies this next fall during elk season. :)

I wasn't being a smart ass, i owned a non typical once and was just wondering what the difference was. The word extreme indicates something way outside of the norm. Don't be so sensitive.

What is "extreme" about these?

the 6.5mm Rem SAUM is an extremely fast and flat flying cartridge.

(EDIT) With the moderate loads that George is using, this cartridge is one heck of a performer. Never thought I'd see a magnum barrel last so long, but with cool running loads and high BC bullets, I now understand how well this works! This has really turned out to be an excellent idea. (EDIT)

Disregard, I don't know shit.

Last edited:
    Great looking rifle - really like the flecktern camo job. Makes me want to call Ken and start another job!

Barrel is a number 3 contour
    will weigh it soon
    recoil very mild..an spot your own hits

definitely wouldn't call it a barrel burner, George has over 3300 rounds on his and still shoots .3 groups

I just went to GAP's web site, they don't even list the Extreme Hunter, it must be really new. Looks like a great rifle, reminds me of the McWhorter long range hunters, they are huge "fast" 6.5 builders

This cartridge really peaks my interest as far as performance and barrel life. The thing that kills me is the brass(or lack there of). Now if a brass maker like Hornady would pickup this cartidge id have one in a heartbeat!!!

I just went to GAP's web site, they don't even list the Extreme Hunter, it must be really new. Looks like a great rifle, reminds me of the McWhorter long range hunters, they are huge "fast" 6.5 builders

ya it is new... my is number 3. Two or three handfuls built so far as I know.

It is an incredible round for Extreme hunter platform and a Tactical rifle platform... thinking on a heavy build on this next :cool:

I will post the weight and more pics soon !

definitely wouldn't call it a barrel burner, George has over 3300 rounds on his and still shoots .3 groups

Are you sure about that round count? Hard, if not impossible to believe that barrel still has any rifling left let alone still shooting .3's given how overbore that combo is.

I would love to be wrong but.............

Are you sure about that round count? Hard, if not impossible to believe that barrel still has any rifling left let alone still shooting .3's given how overbore that combo is.

Yes, We just spent the last few days with George shooting it in MT. It has at least that on it and he's not easy on it either...

Maybe THAT is what's "extreme" about these!

~10gr more powder than a 6.5-284, ~150-200fps faster than a 6.5-284, and 2-3 times the barrel life.

The SAUM is burning H1000 powder which is a very slow powder, making it easier on throats/barrels. 6.5-284 usually is loaded with a fast burning powder which excelerates barrel wear.

Ya'll are turnin George into a bona fide "mountain man"! Ya keep lettin him play out there much more and he won't even be seen in K.C. any more...

Hey George,
    You movin the operation to Wyoming/Montana? ;)

Like Cinch said and the picture he posted.... 100% sure the round count is now higher than 3300 and still shoots like that !

Nice looking rig you got there Scott. That cartridge appears to have a great balance between performance and barrel life. Who makes the brass to feed it?

Nice looking rig you got there Scott. That cartridge appears to have a great balance between performance and barrel life. Who makes the brass to feed it?

Neck down Remington, Norma, or Nosler 300SAUM or 7SAUM brass. 7 SAUM brass seems to be non existent

140 at 3176
    130 at shy 3300

With a DA of 2025' (60*) here in Oklahoma that results in the following with a 100yds zero, per shooter app:

130 VLD @ 1k: 6.0mils elev./1.6mils for 10mph full value/948 #ke
    140 Amax @ 1k: 6.3mils elev./1.6mils ""/1005 #ke

And if you can get 3000+rds out of a bbl, I see nothing to not like, other than a little brass prep.

Nice looking rig, SM!!

BTW, What powder are you running???

Running the APA bottom metal using Accurate Mags 300WSM mag, with the front plate removed.

It weighs in at 9lbs even, as pictured, with the Montana Sling on it.

It is perfect weight and balance for a do all hunting/ LR shooting platform !

Icebreaker_3_2017.jpg

Icebreaker_3_2015.jpg

Very nice rig. It looks like the SAUM gives up very little to my 6.5 WSM. That a handy looking package, i'm looking forward to see some on game reviews.

t

Brass sounds pretty speciallized...are they still making SAUM brass or is the lack of supply due to the recent "demand" issues?

Wow, looks like an awesome setup for long range hunting. Wish they'd get it added to the website so I can stare at it and daydream about what I want after I complete my M2013 build.

Thanks for the info.