• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing New Gear I am going to try out this fall...

hognuts

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
We are doing a drop camp in the Bob Marshall Wilderness area in Montana. I currently have a small tent heater that works reasonably well, especially when I am hunting by myself in a small one man tent. I will be in an 8 man tent hunting with a buddy, this is the second drop camp we have done together and what I found last time is that my tent heater kept my little sleeping area comfortable to sleep in, but it made getting out of the rack a ball freezing adventure.

What I am going to try on this one is to run my small tent heater at night to keep my little area warm. (my buddy and I both have our own small tent heaters) Then I will set my alarm for a few hours before go-time and fire up the "Mr. Buddy" portable heater to get the space warmed up a bit before we are ready to get up and moving. (I had read reviews that say they work well but "eat up" propane, so I figured that running it a few hours a day may give me a couple days use out of a 1 lbs propane tank. On my small one (coleman sport cat) I can usually get one full night and a few hours of the next night) Thought that would be a nice addition to hunting camp when its not so rough crawling out of the fart sack.

Next piece of gear I am going to try (in addition to my Jetboil which I love) is the BioLite Camp stove, it burns twigs/branches and has a little heat generator with a USB port to charge electrical devices and has and adapter to boil water/grill food. (grill and receptical for boiling water are sold separately...of course) Seems like a nice addition to the pack as well and I am a bit of a sucker for new gear. I have a Brunton solar charger for electrical devices and it is functional, but takes a long time to charge. Will be interested to find out how this unit performs both as a stove and as a charging device.

Looks like Montana is already getting some weather!
Powerful storm system taking aim at Montana | KRTV.com

Can't wait to get up on the mountain! Good luck this fall!

I've used the Buddy heater @ 10kish and it worked fine. We just warmed up the trailer before bed. I the morning it was nice to warm up before getting dressed.
Can't remember how many tanks we used but I don't remember it eating them that fast.

R

Nice. Did you use 1# tanks? My little sport cat works ok to take the edge off at night, but the tent is still cold as hell when you get going in the am. Hoping to just run it for an hour or two in the am to make it more tolerable to get up and moving.

Yep we were using the 1# canisters. If you can haul a 20# get the hose fitting for the Buddy. Ours is the two can version. Has a fan ran by some d batteries.
I have used it for years out west and at home, it has been a great piece of gear.

It should do everything you are looking for.

R

Yep we were using the 1# canisters. If you can haul a 20# get the hose fitting for the Buddy. Ours is the two can version. Has a fan ran by some d batteries.
I have used it for years out west and at home, it has been a great piece of gear.

It should do everything you are looking for.

R

Glad to hear it. I think we are going to be stuck with 1 lbs containers. We are going in on horseback doing drop camp and have to keep weight/bulk to a minimum. You can stuff 1lbs containers in multiple bags to even out weight I think between the two of us for 8 days we should be able to get by with 24 and have extra.