• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision New Genesis Thermal line for "poors"

wigwamitus

Strictly Offensive Kit
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2014
LBJ
We've been testing some Genesis thermals recently. Specifically

Omega 40mm thermal clipon (O40)

Genesis 55mm thermal rifle scope (G55)

Preston tested the G55 and I tested the O40.

Initial post will focus on the O40 results.

==
Here's the O40 mounted on bolt gun (Rem700 762x51 Bravo stock, NF 2.5-20x scope)

51162460188_f63ae03ddf_k.jpg

outside

51178556673_ddc1d7128d_k.jpg

==
O40 at 70yds on 2.5x

51162905923_d665f08fce_k.jpg

note the step ladder by the chicken coop

==
8x
51162007667_48dc31a605_k.jpg

==
and the step ladder again at 15x

51162694311_1178ab5570_k.jpg

==
Here were the 3 hits from 500yds ... low and left ... its actually been a few weeks since I did this, but I'm thinking the collimation was off (human error). I need to mount the new tactacam and try again !! But it can get decent group!

==
Tech Sheet
51270677249_b58821faa5_k.jpg

==
Narrative:

Some you might recall, about a year ago, I first tested the Genesis A55. That's a hybrid unit, with three rear lenses (Clipon, dedicated scope and monocular)

Some comments included being surprised the image was so good with a 384. The displays in these guys are 1024x768 so that helps. There's also some decent image processing going on in there.

These units have a significant amount of control over the image. I spent a LOT of time "tuning the image" with the controls. Goal in the 70yd images was to "make it look like a UTC" and even I was surprised that i was able to get pretty danged close.

The menu is not super-sexy looking but its very self explanitory ... and more linear than most, i.e. not multi layer. Its worth spending quite a bit of time with the image controls to enable you to learn what effect each one has on the image.
There is no "nuc" button, the unit is auto nuc, but its very unintrusive (similar to the Tig) and no dreaded "image freeze" as happens on older units.

The mount is not great, though it is functional. When I tested the A55 last year, there was a bobro mount included and I'm told their working on same (as an upgrade) for the O40 (and all the Genesis line).

The unit DOES have a manual focus, which I like as some other thermals (both dedicated and clipon) are lacking this feature.

The A55, A40, G55 and G40 units have integrated LRFs, the O55 and O40 do not.
==
Where is it made ? I've certainly been asking, but not being told. So, since IDK, I can speculate !! :D I've seen similar looking units on Rooskie websites, so my guess is it's rooskie. In the Army I was in, the rooskie gear we got our hands on was heavier than our equivalent gear ... and this unit is a solid metal housing and weighs 20 oz ... so heavier than the Tig (by 1.5 oz)

So what about the core ? Well its a 50 Hz 384 core and the manual focus is a knob on the top and that spec/form factor certainly smells like CCP. As far as I know ALL the 384/50 cores are CCP). So my guess is CCP. When I look at the rooskie websites, I think I'm seeing some of their thermal "manufacturers" selling two lines of thermals, with the higher end lines probably having rooskie cores, but the lower (sporting) lines probably having CCP cores ... now that's just my guess, but since I don't know, I'm allowed to guessl When I do get answers from the rooskie sites, I'm told "they aren't chinese - but I can't tell you where they're from" ... so that doesn't tell me anything, so I'm still guessing "CCP" !!! :D

But I really doubt the rest of the unit is CCP, because its unlike any CCP unit (pulsar ,AGM ,ATN, etc.) unit I've ever touched. So the unit doesn't smell CCP ,just the core.

==
What about pricing ?

The A55 (3 lens hybrid) units are $6k-ish through us ... and the O40 is sub $5k through us.
There are A55 and A40 units
And G55 and G40 units (the dedicated thermal scopes)
And O55 and O40 units(the dedicated clipons)
The O40 is the lowest cost unit, the A55 is the highest cost and all the others are "in between".

==
Ask if any questions and we will post more images and data as they become available.

Thanks for looking !!

At a glance thoughts:

The G55 was an impressive little unit given its price point and features. It's a direct competitor to the US made Halo-XRF in capability, but I wouldn't say it's as sturdy, and it's certainly bulky. The layout of buttons were very intuitive as is the menu. The image... I was shocked by what I saw. Pictures to follow at some point. The LRF was more than capable of hitting fleshy targets at 300 yards (the furthest I tested in suburbia) and hard targets at 1,000 yards. The LRF appeared to require actuating with a single push of the button - would prefer scanning mode. It has internal recording capability and is similar to the XRF in that it's a simple push of a button. It has a manual focus like most in class products which is a nice to have on the lower end items (this is a non-issue for the Halo line-up being that they have such a good image even at distance). Weather conditions may allow this sucker to perform in rainy conditions, but I'm skeptical of a true downpour. The mount easily accommodates AR style rifles as well as bolt actions. This product is priced at the upper end of the lower end solutions, but it's still affordable relative to the thermal market.

Cons: Heavy. Bulky.

Pros: Price. Performance. LRF. Recording. Manual Focus (it needs this feature). Button layout. Intuitive to learn. Mil based reticle.

Tentative: Support and warranty. Product origin?

Last edited:
Reactions: rydah and stefan73
Here are some samples of what you can expect looking through the device. Pictures taken with an iPhone.

3rd pole is 600 yards.
7FF9EB57-B5E0-41CC-8478-18C3C9D069F6.jpeg

Second pole is the same as third pole in previous pic, 600 yards.
C877D5B9-BFBA-439C-8D59-1FE0867B2A48.jpeg

Same third pole at 600 yards.

0DD2E05B-118B-462E-9F43-B234C373DB80.jpeg

The reticle does not scale which is a bummer, but not unusual in the market.

I'm interested in the o55, and would love to see what a pig sized thing looks like at 500 yds on 8 x. What's the price on the o55?

Reactions: stefan73
Can you use the LRF on the A55 when it's in clip-on mode or only in scope mode?

specs looks very good for the price
But looking at the kit:

Kind of reminds me of pulsar, why must they use the shittiest weaver thumbscrew mount possible on a 6500$ scope

CCP just celebrated 100 years of communism, but what they left out was that captalism pulled 800 million of them out of abject poverty and CCP killed 40 million on the way to the celebration.
Have you looked up who were the foreign influencers financing and advising Mao’s during the revolution? The answer would surprise/shock you.
hint: research the Sassoon family and the opium war.