• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft New Ghillie order, thoughts?

Re: New Ghillie order, thoughts?

agreed, but a patent search including the middle initial also
uncovers no patent.
Maybe they will give the actual patent number for his peace of mind, since there would be nothing to lose in that either.

my guess is its probably held by another company that is the parent company of the DBA entity known as 'tactical concealment manufacturing'

Could be. I'm sure they can produce a number he can put in the search engine at the U.S. Patent and trademark office site for his own peace of mind. It would be a shame to not be able to sell those nice suits...a small mod to netting would give folks another nice commercial option if he can be sure it's necessary to avoid violating a patent.

edited to use the word peace (versus piece)...good grief..turning into an internet illiterate.

There a few factors you have to look at when building suits for the masses,

How long will it take to build the suit?
Whats the cost of the material?
How much time have you spent on R&D and T&E?
Is the suit for LEO,Military or Civie Hunter?

IMO I would not spend to much time on the grid its overkill for whats needed in the field.I have a box of R&D Ghillies that I've built trying to think outside the box on the suits,but I always go back to the standard pattern of the Ghillie and use the best materials I can buy.

I have lurked here for quite some time. I truly enjoy the machine produced suits and features i see being made. I'm pretty much an e-6000 and used/scrounged materials man, right down to the scrap hemp and jute i can scrounge from work. Btw, hemp, manila and sisal don't get much press but they really work great in my AO.

Good luck with your ventures all you guys who are selling these!

Alot of work and good job on the details guys. I used a trashed out wetsuit top to reinforce the knees and elbow to wrist for crawling. I would say the zipper opening down the sides of the guillie top are for venting to cool off. Anyone who has done a 1500 yard grass stalk knows what I'm talking about. You will get really hot reall fast. Good luck with your business.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIERRAWHISKEY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMO I would not spend to much time on the grid its overkill for whats needed in the field.I have a box of R&D Ghillies that I've built trying to think outside the box on the suits,but I always go back to the standard pattern of the Ghillie and use the best materials I can buy. </div></div>

Exactly this.

I'm just glad I came across this site. I'm new into starting making my own ghillie and are very appreciative of the members adding photos of their work.
It helps give me ideas and the reasons for the techniques used, eg; zippers, velcro (hook and pile) fasteners, types of adhesive, where to sew things and when in the sequence of manufacturing a suit, supplies used, base material.

Personally, I was able to come across actual camo netting that was not being used any longer (for venting on the back of the coat) and the boonie cap 'drapes' on the sides and back of the brim, gutted 550 cord for the grid on the back sewn onto the two layers of camo netting, the 550 guts for the netting on the front of the coat, the list goes on.

The old style web suspender system/pistol belt the army used. I bought one that did not have the hooks on the ends of the suspenders and had sewn the ends permanently to the pants. I have yet to find out if this was a good choice.

I've kept all four pockets on the bdu coat I have used as a base and the two cargo pockets on the bdu pants, too.

Now I know what a crotch stirrup is and what it is used for. Very good reason.

I do have a question: Why the boot stirrups?

I'll add photos when I'm up to it.

the stirrups can be useful when crawling to keep your pants down and your bare legs from hanging out. i never put the stirrups on unless im on the ground.

Thanks for the advice. It makes sense to add stirrups for the legs after you say why.

Another thing I noticed. The E6000 is holding the 550 cord gut to my bdu coat base, but not as well as I would like. I feel I will have to sew the gut to the base as well.

Thanks again.

20120102 Update: I am done with my jacket. It is much easier to dissect the coat to get the 550/550 gut installed on the coat than to leave it together. I am moving onto my trousers. I'll add images after I take some photos.
CIMG6467.jpg

CIMG6463.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdx650</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the advice. It makes sense to add stirrups for the legs after you say why.

Another thing I noticed. The E6000 is holding the 550 cord gut to my bdu coat base, but not as well as I would like. I feel I will have to sew the gut to the base as well.

Thanks again.

20120102 Update: I am done with my jacket. It is much easier to dissect the coat to get the 550/550 gut installed on the coat than to leave it together. I am moving onto my trousers. I'll add images after I take some photos.
CIMG6467.jpg

CIMG6463.jpg
</div></div>

That's looking fantastic, keep up the great work. Keep sending pictures.

Chance Tanner: Thanks. I have more photos. I was just way too tired to add them.

Army TA-50 (CTA 50-900.....ie 'Common Table of Allowances') suspenders for the web system. I found this one at an Army Surplus store for cheap because it did not have the hooks on the ends. Exactly what I needed because all I wanted was to sew them into the trousers as you see in the next couple photos.
CIMG6459.jpg

The rear of the trousers:
CIMG6458.jpg

Rear:
CIMG6465.jpg

Right side suspender with sidearm holster support. Assists in keeping the holster and belt up and stops the sagging of the holster and belt. I had to modify on my wifes sewing machine. It's not too hard to do. Just need to think the steps through:
CIMG6463.jpg

Closer view
CIMG6462.jpg

Left side suspender sewn to trousers. You ask what are those additional belt loops for? more support on keeping the belt at the waist and stop the sagging. The material is from an actual army camo netting edge. I dissected some camo netting and am using all the pieces I can. I added 11 (eleven) additional loops for support.

CIMG6456.jpg

CIMG6457.jpg

CIMG6460.jpg

I had to remove the cargo pockets for the addition of my netting base for the burlap and jute.
CIMG6464.jpg

CIMG6471.jpg

The almost completed top:

I dissected a butt pack from the old web system and am using the fabric...I think it is a cordura style material, for the elbow covers. I am also copying the acu pattern elbow pad pockets for the elbows. I have velcro closures for the elbow pads. I am using the actual elbow pads the army issued me for my tops elbow pads.

CIMG6487.jpg

CIMG6488.jpg

Finished almost front. I have kept the pockets. Chest and abdomen pockets.

CIMG6475.jpg

Crotch stirrup.

CIMG6476.jpg

Close up of left chest.

CIMG6477.jpg

Velcro at collar.

CIMG6479.jpg

CIMG6480.jpg

Crotch strap on back of coat and actual camo netting for vent material. This is my first attempt. Opinions are welcome good and bad. I need to learn from others. So, please add your comments.

CIMG6490.jpg

That's really looking good, how many hours have you put into it?

First: sorry for the lay out of the photos/images. I don't know why it is spread out like that.

Secondly: I have not been keeping count on the hours, but I do have to spread the time out because I have a wife and kids, it has been a couple of months, but now I have a deadline of this weekend to be done with the sewing. She wants her machine back. I'll be done with the pants on Saturday and then I'll need advice on what dye to purchase...or can I just spray paint the burlap/jute? I'll need to get more burlap.

The burlap I do have I dissected it from a weapon range I work near. 'Dissected' meaning took strand by strand apart. I did not cut them into strips. I found a series of 9 youtube videos that was made in the late '90's, I think, of actual military members making ghillie suits out of the one-piece nomex flight suit.

Here's the link to the point I am making:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tpp95BlIyE&feature=related

At 2:54 elapsed time the 3rd video out of 9 the guy sitting on the ground tells you how to take the burlap apart so you don't lose half of it by cutting it. I did this and it took a while to do because it was mostly deteriorated by sun light, but the result is you retain everything you find or buy.

Thanks for the support, but all I'm doing is taking ideas from others and applying them for my own use.

I am going to use this mainly for airsofting btw.

I saw this video:

http://www.youtube.com/user/vavann56#p/f/4/sK45xnlwC4g

and that prompted me to look into this part of airsoft. I have a similar sidearm mk23 non-blowback gas pistol. I use propane for propeling bb's downrange. The people are french and filmed, probably, in France somewhere. Later on, he made a couple other videos of how to make a rifle wrap and a cover for his camcorder.

I would suggest sewing some canvas on the fron of the suit instead of having the jute and burlap on the front. Canvas makes the suit more durable, and the jute on the front just gets in the way.

Shay: thanks for the heads up. I was/am trying to replicate this.
https://bushrag.com/Ghillies/Ultra-Light/Jackets/Ultra-Light-Ghillie-Jacket

It is a little late for me to take all that netting off. I want to try it out and then I'll tell you how it works for me.

I do believe you that the jute will be a hinderance, but I want to try it out anyway.

What about dye or paint?

Update 20120117:

The very first thing I started with was the hat:
CIMG6491.jpg

CIMG6510.jpg

The coat was second and now I am done adding the 550 guts to the trousers. I have yet to complete the boot stirrups and the adjusters for them, but as it is now, it is decent.

CIMG6513.jpg

Initially, I was fortunate to have green 550 gut, but I ran out of it and had to go with the white guts.
CIMG6515.jpg

ACU foam pad insert I am using for knee pads on my trousers.
CIMG6516.jpg

And the velcro enclosure I made for it in case I have to swap it out.
CIMG6519.jpg

Zippered outside seams (zipper removed from two acu tops I can't use any longer) and the trim along the bottom of the leg dissected from the web butt pack.
CIMG6521.jpg

I sewed the top zipper so it would not come down.
CIMG6526.jpg

I started sewing the top of the netting just where the cargo pockets began at the pocket flap before I had to remove them.

CIMG6530.jpg

Update 20120108:

I think I need to agree with my wife when she said I need to thin out my layering on my hat.
CIMG6538.jpg

Opinions?

Definitely a good job, I do have a few things to say though.

Any zippers next to netting where burlap/jute will be attached will break. You can fix this by sewing a protective flap over the zipper.

Shreading burlap to the extent you did it excessive, rough burlap looks good and will fray by itself once you do a few washes, and yes you put far too much burlap/jute onto the hat. Try skipping holes.

Other then that it is impressive, stitched every netting corner (this can be good or bad.
Good because of how durable it is, Bad because you now cannot stuff the suit with veg as easily, such as leaves or thick brush if you needed.

the back of the jacket, boonie and padded inserts all look great though.

Add pictures of you wearing the suit once its finished.

great work

Mr. Tanner, Thanks so much for the response. I figured I'd have to go back over the back of the hat and take some burlap out.

I found more used sandbags yesterday and think I have enough to complete my suit.

When it comes to all the squares, I can take some of the stitching out to make for more room for vegetation.

I suppose I should sew, not just a protective flap over the zippered leg area, but velcro, too. Yes?

When it is all done, I will take photos worn and not worn and post them.

This has definitely been a learning experience.

Thanks for the advice and it will be heeded.

jim

when I made my first suit as a 17 year old I used burlap and bdu's and fishnet. I didn't even bother shredding . I was able to have a friend walk up to me in the night and use a lighter to see if it was me. He couldn't tell and didn't exactly know if it was me or not. Then a week later I was standing still by a fence and I scared the shit out of my cousin in broad daylight. He walked up next to me and the fence. I said something and he almost jumped out of his skin. I don't think shredding is that important as long as you breakup the human outline.

Rogue: I am shredding the burlap for my ghillie so I can use as much of the material as possible with little waste. I have not spent a penny on the burlap thus far.

I did remove half of the burlap from the back of my hat and was able to cover more than three quarters of my hat with it. Here are some photos:

CIMG6544.jpg

CIMG6540.jpg

CIMG6541.jpg

CIMG6542.jpg

CIMG6543.jpg

I did add some more to the left side, but I had to take time to take apart another sandbag for it.

DAMNIT, I just started building mine for work and had I seen yours first I definitely would have ordered one from you. NICE work brother

Wow, nice looking suit, i like the hood.

Since I'm new here, I'll just say to you Chance, very good work. I forgot to add my map pocket, but seeing how mine is for airsoft, I didn't feel too bad about it.

I will say adding the burlap to just the back of the coat, every other square, is very tedious and time-consuming, but I enjoy the work.

Thank you for the feedback.
Took a little while as I've never made one from scratch, but I feel good about it. As soon as my buyer gives me some feedback on what I could improve upon I'll begin suit two.

I believe the coat is done. As you can see, I did not dye the burlap strips.

Action shot:
CIMG6649.jpg

CIMG6648.jpg

CIMG6646.jpg

CIMG6643.jpg

CIMG6640.jpg

CIMG6644.jpg

Good looking suits..I cant believe there are Patents on Ghillie suits.LOL

Hey just wondering if someone can email me some pics of the complete suit. Since im in afghanistan i cant see posted pics. They are probably from photobucket.

My email is in my profile. Thanks

In the planning stages of my first suit, learned a lot just reading thru this thread. Thanks for all of the info and pictures, you guys are really creative. Great jobs on the suits guys!

Everything I learned about putting my suit together, I learned from this site. I just finished the boot stirrups. Haven't taken photos of them yet either, but I'm using standard fastex buckles for adjustments.
And my leg holster broke at the large buckle. So, now I am still utilizing the small buckle attached to my suspender and the other end (female half) has some 550 cord wrapped around it and two inches after that is my mk23 non-blowback airsoft pistol. I have to reach under my coat to disconnect it while wearing my coat. I'll take photos later on and post them up.

Boot stirrups and fastex buckles:
CIMG6704.jpg

And the mk23 to accompany it:

CIMG6710.jpg

So, what's the best way to get the paracord staying in place so it can be tacked down? Glue? I've glued before, but I want to try sewing it now.

It's been awhile but I'm back building again, I can pump out one of these in about 20 work hours now.

I bought an old 1st generation mamba suit years ago and pretty much reconstructed the thing to use for my personal adventures, however, I changed so much of the original design. Different materials, The sizing is different (I didn't like the way the crotch felt) and overall made a better suit (IMO). I'll post pictures of the hood (also different) along with other suits later.

I use mesh for the front yoke now instead of the brown fabric, and use plastic D-rings for the trousers, NOT the fabric loops like the ones posted of this suit. Just fyi.

Okay, so I went overboard on the grid, overall I think these two came out fine. Just waiting for the cord locks and webbing to come in the mail.

I had to put my suit in storage for a while. When I get back to it, I will complete it by putting burlap on the trousers.