• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft New Ghillie So Far

_Shay_

thing 2
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2009
USA
Here is my new suit so far.

The forearms are reinforced for crawling, as well as the legs and chest.
DSCI0407.jpg

I put vents in the jacket and the boonie, since 90% of heat is lost through the head, or so I've read.
DSCI0403.jpg

It was built on tan bdus, and I used khaki cordura.
DSCI0405.jpg

A trick for those who do not know how to sew cordura to the lesgs because the machine cannot do it, cut a new seam in the legs, close to the other one, also do it on the forarms.

DSCI0401.jpg

It needs a good mudbath, and some rubberbands for veg. I used about 3 yards of burlap for it.

Re: New Ghillie So Far

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghillie Zen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lookin good Shay! Getting better each time. </div></div>
Thanks Zac.
smile.gif

Yep, I figured I might as well use tan.

I had cut the pockets off the front of the jacket, so I think I might sew them on t the arms, or shoo goo them on, would probably work just as well.

The Khaki cordura is a little more green than I wanted, but oh well, what can you do at this point. Some krylon can fix up that. Also put some krylon on the shiney shoo goo in the sewing. Another thing i might do is a crotch strap (if that's ok with you brutus, saw it on your ebay listing and I thought it was a great idea)

Still need thumb loops and suspenders, but I'm not sure how I'll the suspenders and crotch strap to work together... I dunno, maybe I won't add one, maybe I'll configure the suspenders to keep the jacket from riding up.

The ACU suit is my brothers suit, I was helping him out with is, since he gets distracted easily. Maybe I can get him to finish his suit today, since I did all the sewing and whatnot, he just needs to garnish it.

I'll get the boonie done today, probably pretty soon.. no more pics today though, unless the internet gets faster... which I doubt. Slow internet does not like photobucket.

What pattern are you using? I like the look of yours so far, and would like to try my hand at making one
smile.gif

I used tan BDUs, they are simple and work. I got them from BDU.com or something like that.

I may figure something out so I don't need the crotch strap, maybe use fastex buckels and make it a 1 piece or 2 piece suit, just depends on if you snap the buckles or not...

Will get more pics up tonight, it's drying from my venture trough the mud.

Shay, don't give up on the crotch strap so quick. Thing to remember is that it should be made with a fair level of length adjustment with a ladderlock or sr buckle. This allows you to make it fit the way you need. You dont' need to wear it tightly. We've been successfully using the sr buckle crotch-strap method on our suits for years.

Best way to figure proper length setting for crotch strap is to put your ghillie jacket on and reach both hands straight up into the air as far as you can. At that point, the strap should not be tight to your crotch, just snug enough to take up the slack.

Its a simple, single point release attachment that helps center your base and prevents your jacket front from folding over when backing out of position. The method may not be for everyone, but it does work effectively.

K.I.S.S. is the key. Adding over-elaborate features to your suit will only create more frustration.

Very true, simple is better. I'd like to have it so the strap went under the pants, not over. Though, that shouldn't be too hard.

I'll get some pics up soon, it's all dry from the mud bath. Much less burlap then I thought, and I used shorter burlap, around 4-6"... I hate it long, gets caught on stuff... Though there are a few holes the size of my hand that need a lil work, so another mudbath is on order. Though I don't mind it... on these warm summer days, it is kind of enjoyable... don't judge me, lol.

But Zac, I'll do that, sounds like a great idea. Then I'll need suspenders and I'll be good to go.

Pics up in a few minutes.

DSCI0416.jpg

Vent in the boonie.

DSCI0410.jpg

After mud bath, can't really see it since the angle, but a few bare spots, but when you step back to about 6 ft, it can't be seen, so it is staying like that. It works and it lighter and cooler.

Plus, veg is the edge, should be more veg than burlap, so I may take out some on the legs, they seem a little fuller than I'd like... and I forgot to get rubberbands when I was in town again.. shoot.

I'm going to get some action pics tomorrow... still need to get some rubberbands...

do it! they are quite a fun project, I really enjoy building suits.

Good thinking on the vented back and hat. Might also want to think about vented armpits and back of knees if it's really hot where you are- once a uniform is soaked it won't breath, and the second you start crawling you're soaked.
My suit probably has a total of 50 strands of jute. Being really sparse forces me to use a lot of natural veg. Using lots of natural veg makes it more 3 dimensional which creates a lot of natural shadows and REALLY makes it work good from farther out. Also remember, you're limited in how much you can change the color of your jute/burlap. Some guys have a harder time concealing all the jute/burlap than they do a sparse suit. The amount of natural veg needed to conceal seems to be proportionate to the amount of jute you use.

I'm already thinking about making another new suit... once I get one done, I always look back on how it could be better... oh well... I guess it might be new suit time again...

Next one will have quite a bit less jute... As you said, I found it quite hard to conceal the jute under the veg... just too much jute.

Very nice design. I wish I had to time to make one but I will have
to leave it to one of you experts.

Well... this one is up for sale already.... 2 weeks... new record... oh well, new one is going to be pretty cool...

its looking good, keep the updates coming
smile.gif

just keep it away from the dog im sure he'll want to fight you for it.
smile.gif