• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New glass for the repro M40

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Traded out the Weaver T10, a very nice scope, for a Leupold/Redfield "greenie".

P5267954.JPG

A little more authentic repro look and Im hoping to use the mil reticle these came with for it to be a steel gun 600 and in.

Zero'd easy enough.
    P5267956.JPG

Im going to shoot again tomorrow to see if target 4 was real or were 5 and 6 reality and I need to dial a tad right.

6 was a single bullet by the way. Three shots on the others.

Beautiful rifle and good shooting.What were you using for ammo ? PS looks like you were able to fix the ring.

Beautiful rifle and good shooting.What were you using for ammo ? PS looks like you were able to fix the ring.

Thank you and yes ring was all fixed and all is right again in the universe.

Ammo was some 168 Nosler CC reloads. I think I do 42.1 4064 in this rifle.

Nice shootin' pmc! The fine lines are 1/2"?

Added: BTW, I hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful Memorial Day weekend!

Last edited:
    Did jya ever notice how a 5 shot group opens things up?

P5277960.JPG

I should have probably left things alone considering a 40 degree drop in temps but after the 5X5 I gave a .5 MOA up and 1/4 MOA right adjustment as best as you can do on adjusters that have no clicks.

Next on to 200 yards and Ill try holding a half mil on the reticle to see if it will pound steel.

P5277959.JPG

Say that my brother has a Jim Land autographed M40 repro, with rings and a sling, but no scope (that resides in my safe). Where would one get appropriate glass for it like above?

Say that my brother has a Jim Land autographed M40 repro, with rings and a sling, but no scope (that resides in my safe). Where would one get appropriate glass for it like above?

Leatherwood makes a chicom copy of the M40 Vietnam era scope that actually has a much closer to original appearance than my Leupold/Redfield model. Those are still available in the market place for about $300. I think SWFA or such carries them.....

https://hi-luxoptics.com/products/hi-lux-optics-m40-3x-9x-rifle-scope

My Leupold/Redfield was about $300. I picked it up last December when a member at www.M40rifle.com was able to get 10 or so leftovers from the Leupold custom shop. When I tried to get a second one Leupold told me they have no more it was a limited run of 1000 for the Remington SSA M40 rifle commemoratives.

The Leupolds get better reviews for quality than the Leatherwood but again the Leatherwood probably will work, I wouldnt mess with adjustments after zero and it actually has the ranging feature of the original Redfield.

but....

I posted a want to buy at M40 rifle and was able to pick up my second Leupold/Redfield when someone saw my request to buy. You could try same here or at M40 rifle and may come across one.

Another option would be to buy a black commercial original era Redfield 3-9X accurange off Ebay. I picked up a minty 3-9X off Ebay with standard duplex for about $200. Seems prices have increased over the last few years though.

If the black bothers you (although the USMC did use some matte black scopes) there is a gentleman that has been anodizing commercial Redfields creating an almost exact USMC colored scope.

I like this particular Leupold despite its appearances not matching the USMC original because it has a mildot reticle. Ive got my 100 yard zero, now I should be able to range and hold for targets 600 and in. I opted for function over exact clone.

Thanks for the great info. I will have to keep searching as it seems those are out of stock.

Now I know what to look for. Appreciate it.

Do any of your guys have a line on one of the Remington M40 reproductions for sale?

Thanks in advance!

Do any of your guys have a line on one of the Remington M40 reproductions for sale?

Thanks in advance!

Someone asked same question on M40rifle last week and someone messaged back they would sell. Unsure if that deal completed.

Stocks to build a repro are the hard part to find but........
    Kyle Taylor (Taylor Precision) is making excellent wood.

Find a 6 digit order a barrel, make your own.

Thanks for sharing! I have all of the pieces (minus scope) for my repro build. I have been looking for a vintage 3-9x Redfield on the sites but can't ever find a correct one with correct reticle. That's half of the fun though right, the hunt.........or at least I keep telling myself that. Hahaha......

Thanks for sharing! I have all of the pieces (minus scope) for my repro build. I have been looking for a vintage 3-9x Redfield on the sites but can't ever find a correct one with correct reticle. That's half of the fun though right, the hunt.........or at least I keep telling myself that. Hahaha......

The prices on the accurange have gone up considerably in the 4-5 years Ive been interested. That one guy on Ebay always seems to have 1-2 but his prices are up there.

I initially bought a standard crosswire reticle 3-9 "1 Inch Tube" Redfield,, beautiful condition, but I found it kind of lacking as I had intentions of shooting groups at different ranges.

I through on a Weaver T10 and with 1/4 turrets and adjustable parallax the groups got better.

Now Im back to thinking along the original intents of the rifle design and the repro Redfield will help group some with reference points/mil ranging capability.

Real fun rifle, Good luck with your build.

T10 is a great scope with way more capability than the 3-9 Leupold.

I just wanted to simplify. Have set a 100 yard zero and hope I can hold the mil dots for targets out to 600.

Simple, robust and not a setup I will have to handle with the fear is it is overly fragile.

Reactions: DFOOSKING
    The prices on the accurange have gone up considerably in the 4-5 years Ive been interested. That one guy on Ebay always seems to have 1-2 but his prices are up there.

I initially bought a standard crosswire reticle 3-9 "1 Inch Tube" Redfield,, beautiful condition, but I found it kind of lacking as I had intentions of shooting groups at different ranges.

I through on a Weaver T10 and with 1/4 turrets and adjustable parallax the groups got better.

Now Im back to thinking along the original intents of the rifle design and the repro Redfield will help group some with reference points/mil ranging capability.

Real fun rifle, Good luck with your build.

Thanks! I think I know the seller you are talking about. I just picked this one up today and am trying to make contact with Toki about a possible reticle change and tombstone addition along with the green treatment. I believe that I saw he has done it in the past. Worse case scenario its a place holder.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RE...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Toki will get that looking beautiful. He is settling some things and hopefully will get back to a happy place.

I just bought an unused Taylor Precision stock today. Have the Badger rings and base. going with PTG steel trigger guard. considering Douglas M40 contour barrel, Iron Site Redfield Accu-Range 2nd Gen scope in matte black. Now all I need is an action. Any thoughts on best deal? It's going to be a semi replica and okay that all is not original or she has a newer receiver.

Last edited:
    There have been actions available now and than in the PX.

Check with member WyoSniper. He may have something available.

Sounds like your not looking to build a clone so if you use an RR receiver they can be found cheap.

Pictures when you are done.

Reactions: mk48mod0
    Went to 200 and 300 yards to check mil holds

6 rounds at 200 playing around with holds of +/- .5 mils

P6097961.JPG

Seven on a torso

P6097962.JPG

Seven on a ten inch round

P6097963.JPG

6 at 300, bit more difficult to find something to hold a mil dot on. I was playing around 1.3 to 1.5 mil hold.

P6097964.JPG

Seven on a torso...

P6097965.JPG

Seven on a ten inch round

P6097966.JPG

Im loving the simplicity of capped turrets and a "cheap" scope.

Rifle boiled down to its bare elements.

P6097969.JPG