• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New glass or more ammo? Opinions, pros, cons...

Austincqc

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2010
TX, USA
Hey all,

I just want some opinions on what to do with a little spare cash that I have right now. My current setup is a Savage 10pc .308 (20 inch barrel) with a Bushnell 3200 3-9x fineplex reticle hunting scope.

I can now shoot a 5 shot group that's less than .5 consistently (brought it down from .85) with 175gr and 168gr ammo and take both out to ring gongs at 750 yards easily with the 175gr hitting at a grand consistently.

I'm not doing competitions, but would eventually get into them. For now I'm focused on being proficient, consistent and accurate. Once I feel confident in my abilities and tools, I'll work on speed...but for now, I just want to hit what I want when I want to.

I have some spare cash (not a lot, but some), so I was thinking about ordering some ammo from SW and picking up some boxes of 20 for around $22 each. I'll probably drop around $200-250 total on ammo and spend a lot more time at the range. Would I be better off spending the money on a Weaver 3-10x or Bushnell 10x instead and spend my normal amount of time (once or twice a month and using two boxes of .308 and two .223/5.56 boxes each time and a lot of .22 rounds).

Right now I check my zero with a single shot, then adjust for 250, dial up to 500, 750, 1,000, and finish back at 500. Dialing takes forever because I'm counting clicks and taking my sweet time to make sure I don't miscount....effing hunting turrets... I have been lucky so far with the wind coming straight at my face or back with only a few times having cross winds. I use my windage turret to adjust but would LOVE a reticle instead!!

I have a SS on order from the group buy (thanks LL and SWFA!!), but I don't know when my order will come in. If I buy another scope, I have a .22 trainer rifle that needs optics that I'll transfer the scope onto when I get my SS.

I'm thinking of glass so that I can be a little faster with my dials and use the reticle for wind adj, but I know there is the thought that I should just spend more time at the range behind my .308. Opinions are welcome. Please give me some rationale behind your opinion too if you can.

Thanks SH members!

Re: New glass or more ammo? Opinions, pros, cons...

Buy all the ammo you can and slowly save for a decent scope.

I'd like to add one to the mix of scopes...Explore Optics. I just picked one up last week after reading the reviews of others. I haven't seen an indepth review but a majority of opinions were good. For 400 bucks it's hard to beat.

One thing you will want to be pushing money aside for is reloading equipment. Once you get about 500 rounds of brass, start halving your ammo orders and putting the rest towards reloading gear...though 22 bucks a box isn't bad but you can get to about 15 easily reloading.

welcome to the addiction

"I have a SS on order from the group buy (thanks LL and SWFA!!), but I don't know when my order will come in. If I buy another scope, I have a .22 trainer rifle that needs optics that I'll transfer the scope onto when I get my SS. "

Buy the ammo.

Neither. Buy reloading gear. Depending on what you buy, you can get close to everything you need within your budget. Look for used gear to save some money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Neither. Buy reloading gear. Depending on what you buy, you can get close to everything you need within your budget. Look for used gear to save some money.

</div></div>
BINGO!!

your best bet BY FAR! is to go after some reloading gear. For me, I take pride in building high quality ammo for my rifle.
Additionally, you save money in the long run. (I bought mine just over a year ago and it has already paid for itself in ammo savings)