• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New glass!!

ToddKS

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2010
Wichita, KS
I had been wanting an Nightforce scope for a while, but the money just wasn't there.

After saving my money and watching the Optics For Sale section I was finally able to make it happen....NXS 5.5x22x50.

Worth every penny. My first sight in shot was 11 MOA right and 4 MOA low (measured that with my NP-R1 reticle that matches my knobs
grin.gif
). Dialed the adjustment and the second shot was dead on.

Glass is awesome. Clarity is far beyond anything I have owned previously. Very easy to tell what you are paying that extra $$$ for once you have it in your hands.

Today I am a happy guy.

2qak6tx.jpg

Savage Model 12 BVSS
308 Winchester
Warne rail
Seekins rings
Nightforce NXS 5.5x22x50

Re: New glass!!

Congrats and enjoy, it always feals so much nicer when you save and save up and finally get the pay-off

The only problem now is that you are hooked on high-end optics. You will never be satisfied with Nikon or Leupold scopes again. High-end optics are expensive but once you take the plunge, there is no turning back.

Thanks for the kind words.

Nj is right about being hooked on high end optics. The effect is immediate and probably incurable. My Nikkon M223 on my AR is just not the same now. Time to save some more money.

Thanks to the seach function and my ability to read the owners manual here are some of the stupid newbie questions I did <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span></span> have to ask before, during, or after my purchase:

1. How do I adjust the brightness on the illuminated reticle?
2. My reticle is blurry, is there something wrong with my scope?
3. What height rings do I need to mount my new scope?
4. What is the difference between FFP and SFP?
5. Why do I need my reticle and turrets to match?
6. And my personal favorite: The NF logo on my side focus knob is not straight... (I even took the time to make it straight for the picture
grin.gif
)

1. you have to remove the illumination dial cap(parallax dial)
2. Hmmmmm
3. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,
You measure 3 things:
1. the height of the front of your base/rail from the barrel
2. the height of your rings from the top of the rail to centerline
3. the outside diameter of the bell of the scope (not the size of the objective lens)

Here is the equation:
<span style="font-weight: bold">[rail height + ring height] - [bell diameter x 0.5]</span>
If the value is positive, then your bell will clear the barrel. Optimally, you want that bell to be about 1/4" or less over the barrel. This will give you a tight cheek weld and provide for more precise trajectory. Be sure to account for Butler Creek caps if you intend on using them.
If you are using a 40mm objective, then you can use the lowest rings and bases available, as the bell will certainly clear the barrel with no problem. i.e. don't worry if the bell ends up being higher than 1/4" over the barrel.
Glen Seekins added some good additional info to this post, so check it out as well.
mike </div></div>
Here
4. FFP reticle changes size to magnification so measurements are always the same, sfp reticle is same size measurements work at max power i think
5. adjust reticle to the measurements that you see without conversion

Question 2 refers to multiple posts revolving around proper adjustment of the eyepiece.

It wasn't intended to be a pop quiz
laugh.gif

I cant wait until I get me a nice 5.5-22x50...... Nice setup by the way! Have you got a chance to shoot it yet? If you did how does the rifle shoot?

Very nice scope..... I should be able to get my F1 MLR2 in about a month

Winxp,

The rifle shoots very well. Capable of 1/2 MOA with handloads.

I know that Savage rifles have a mixed reputation here, but I have been nothing but pleased with mine. I would buy another one without hesitation.