• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New GPS (Auto/Traffic)

neeltburn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2013
South Western Indiana
I haven't had to buy a new GPS for driving in sometime as my truck has NAV, however now that maps are no longer updateable and Ive been barrowing my Dad's ECODiesel (27MPG highway) when traveling to matches etc I am now shopping for a new one. Planning a trip to the Smokies in April. Looking at the standard DriveSmart Series Garmin as well as the Overlander and RV Series. Not taking the toyhauler on this trek but it might be a nice feature down the road to have the RV guidance. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

Thanks

DriveSmart 55
Overlander
RV Series

Do you have a smartphone? What buy another unit? Just use waze or google maps or iMAPS

Put one of these in your truck. Connects to phone via BT.

Just offering cheaper solutions

The main reason for this for me has been I do not always have cell phone reception thus having the actual unit I have guidance.

Have Google maps?

If you know where you're headed, download offline maps of your frequently traveled areas ahead of time, and it will still work without cell service. You won't get live traffic/route updates without cell service, but it will still function and navigate like a Garmin or other standalone unit.

Google maps will automatically update the offline maps as well. Save/update them over WiFi if you don't have an unlimited data plan.

I have the entire state saved in offline maps because I often find myself in areas without cell service, and don't want to be caught needing a map in an new area I haven't been to that doesn't have cell service.

If you want a stand-alone unit, I've always had good luck with Garmin, both on the map and hardware side of things. The new ones support map updates over WiFi, and will also provide live traffic on the route provided you have it hooked up to your phone and have cell service.

Last edited:
I haven't had to buy a new GPS for driving in sometime as my truck has NAV, however now that maps are no longer updateable and Ive been barrowing my Dad's ECODiesel (27MPG highway) when traveling to matches etc I am now shopping for a new one. Planning a trip to the Smokies in April. Looking at the standard DriveSmart Series Garmin as well as the Overlander and RV Series. Not taking the toyhauler on this trek but it might be a nice feature down the road to have the RV guidance. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

Thanks

DriveSmart 55
Overlander
RV Series
I have been using Garmin Auto GPS units for ~15 years. I currently have the Garmin DriveSmart 61LMT-S (North America) and would recommend it. Bought one for my stepson too. I like the bigger 6.95" screen due to my aging eyesight. You can buy these refurbed units for $165 and they come with the same 1 year warranty as the new ones.

FactoryOutletStore.com and GPSCity.com always have some for sale. I stopped buying new a long time ago. The Arizona sun is hell on dash mounted GPS units but that may not be the case where you live. Garmin also has a free app for your phone that provides must faster real time traffic updates then the over the air antenna updates. It connects with Bluetooth etc... and is not hard to set up.

Garmin updates maps quarterly but its not like you need to catch everyone. I make sure to update the maps before I drive cross country but other then that I just update maybe once a year.

I don't like using my phone for maps when driving because the small screen and the large fines for having it in your hand when a police officer with nothing better to do sees you with it at a stop light. Plus hands free is really safer for everyone. I don't use the voice command option much but it does work.

HTH

Best Regards

Reactions: neeltburn