• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Grendel Build Range Report

mwilkins

Minuteman
Jun 1, 2010
Sachse, TX.
Was finally able to make it back out to the range today after receiving my new rounds. Still purchasing manufactured rounds to try and get a feel for what the barrel is going to like and thus far, I haven't been able to figure that out.

The break in and original sighting was done with 123 gr Hornady VMax's on a 40 degree and rainy day. Those groupings were pretty good considering the conditions. Here is a pic of one of the groupings that day.

IMAG0124.jpg

So I ordered a box of 100 gr Bergers and a box of 123 Lapua Scenars to try out. All groupings are decent with the best group coming from the Bergers but I really can't say that one performed better than the other. It is obvious by the patterns within the groups that I am moving around a bit. Still not too sure if I care for the trigger in the gun and more than likely will replace it.

But for you viewing, here are some pics from this afternoons outings. All groups are four(4) round groups as my mags are four round mags and at a distance of 100 yrds. The spot-n-see dots are 1" in diameter on the backside of a silhouette.

IMAG0150.jpg

IMAG0145.jpg

IMAG0147.jpg

IMAG0151.jpg

Best group of the outing...

IMAG0148.jpg

Re: New Grendel Build Range Report

Haven't had a chance to make it to the other range as of yet so 100 yrds is it. There is a range that reaches out to 500 not too far from me that I plan on visiting in the very near future. Barrel is a Walther 24"

My one quite likes the 120 gr Berger and the 108 Lapua for long range. I've had some one hole groups with 120 gr Bergers at 100 yds. I've shot the 108s out to 1000 yds with reasonable success but that's really on the limit of this round - temperature and wind come into play a lot at that distance.

what loads are you using, i found my barrel to be really picky down to .1 grain with some bullets. Mine also like the 123 smk, you should give that bullet a try.

The Grendel is copper sensitive, clean, clean, clean. Even the LW barrels, it is pretty critical especially in a good barrel once you get it up and running to get it settled in. Most of those groups look relatively typical to a fresh build, are you reloading or ordering AA ammo?

The Bergers and Lapua's came from AA. Hornady's were right off the shelf as Cheaper than Dirt stocks them. I have already started collecting brass as I have full intentions of starting to reload but also understand that all of this work may be for not once I start reloading.

Really was just trying to get the barrel broke in and try to get a feel for what rounds it may like best to be put through it. Also as stated earlier, I am not too happy with the trigger.

There is a Skelatized 3lb Timney in the gun right now. Funny thing is one of my other AR's has a 3lb Timney in it and it is great but it is not the skelatized version. The two triggers feel completely different.

We will see where the barrel comes in to over the next couple of outings. May still warrant a trigger change to a Geissele HS Match just to see if it helps me settle down a little.