• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors New gun or thread barrel

spradley

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2012
Leeds, Alabama
Been wanting to try a suppressor and currently have a CZ 455 in .17hmr. This rifle has had maybe 30 rounds through it.

Would it be best to have the barrel threaded or simply purhcase a suppressor ready .17 such as the one from Savage?

Thanks

Re: New gun or thread barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thread the barrel. </div></div>

^^^ This, end of thread.

Okay where would you guys send your rifle to be threaded?

thanks for the info/suggestions.

Any decent gunsmith can do it. I recently sent one to Yankee Hill. Very good price and quick turn around time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 317millhand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any decent gunsmith can do it. I recently sent one to Yankee Hill. Very good price and quick turn around time. </div></div>

Thanks.. did you send the entire gun or only the barrel?
Do you remember how much it cost?

thanks

if your happy with the rifle , just send the bbl to a gunsmith who knows what hes doing.
should be $125 or a little more

Just send the barrel. No ffl required. It should be pretty easy to remove on the 455. Or you could consider getting a lilja drop-in barrel before you put another $125 in the factory barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddd oo7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just send the barrel. No ffl required. It should be pretty easy to remove on the 455. Or you could consider getting a lilja drop-in barrel before you put another $125 in the factory barrel. </div></div>

If you have a little extra to spend, get a custom barrel - it will shoot circles around a factory barrel. If not, send it off to get threaded - no need to buy a whole new rifle.

I recently had my smith (check out Red Creek Tactical) thread and install my Holland break. $100 bucks (maybe be a bit more for a non-local like ball-park $125) for the thread and the break install. Looks flawless!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddd oo7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just send the barrel. No ffl required. It should be pretty easy to remove on the 455. Or you could consider getting a lilja drop-in barrel before you put another $125 in the factory barrel. </div></div>

If you have a break that requires it to be tuned to the action (like my Holland), you'll have to send in the barreled action. To the best of my knowledge, you are able to send a rifle to/from a gunsmith without using an FFL as intermediary. If you already own the rifle, and if you send it to the smith directly, he can just send it back to you. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for all the great info folks.. I'm mulling it all over.
Since I probably won't shoot this gun much except on Racoons will most likely just get the barrel threaded.

I did send an email into Lilja to see what they can do. I remember them from back in my Oklahoma prairie dog shooting days in the eighties.

Gary

Good idea to just thread it, a suppressor is a long term item so plan to have it around for awhile.