• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report New Guy Begging for Ballistics help.............

slayer 2c

Still working on it
Minuteman
  • Jan 18, 2011
    Lost.........
    Hello all, and thank you for even reading my post. Let me begin by saying I've searched, and read, and even asked some of these questions before. I am not the kind of person who expects to be given what others have learned, and would rather be shown my mistakes than just told them. That being said I am at a loss and am hoping that one, or some of you can teach me what I am doing wrong.

So the problem; I currently only have access to a 100yrd range. It is a public range, and has some very nice and helpful experienced shooters, it also has the regular group of rednecks and tacticool Zombie Hunters. I try very hard to not be confused with the latter two by the first. I also find most of the experienced shooters can pick out someone trying very hard to find his way, and they lend a helping hand, more than I could ever have hoped for. That being said, most of them are quite older than my 36yrs and most are not of the technological nature and are no help in my current lost state. I am trying to find my way in Ballistic FTE and am not sure that I am getting the correct results. I've been able to verify my velocity at the range using one of the other shooters chrono's. I've followed every direction I can find on this site for obtaining and entering the correct data. But for some reason when I try to enter the information into JBM the information comes out different, not by a lot but by enough to make me think I may be wrong.

This is the data from Ballistic FTE:
    Gmail-copy.jpg

And this is from JBM Ballistic Calculator:
    JBM-Calculations-Trajectorycopy.jpg

So not the begging, can one of you fine people please tell me if I'm off? I'd be very appreciative if you can tell me where or how, so that I can learn to do this on my own, and not bother you fine people
    wink.gif
    . I'm planning on a trip to a 600yrd range and would be very happy if my calculator will at least get me close so I'm not wasting ammo. Once I can get to the 600yrd range I can verify my own data with actual field numbers, and experience. Thank you all in advance for any and all help, and as always if I have left out something just let me know and I'll provide the answers.

J

Re: New Guy Begging for Ballistics help.............

I guess it's just in the data cards. Would it be more helpful if I posted all the info separately? I have all my range info?

The numbers from both are pretty close IMO. At 1000 yd for example, the two calculators differ by 2.0" in predicted drop. Either one should at least get you on, then you can fine tune the input until it matches your actual results at various ranges as closely as possible. I guess from your post I'm not seeing what you think is wrong, or more specifically, why you think your ballistic FTE is in error. These programs are only as good as the input and usually need to be tweaked to get them to match your actual ballistic data. However, they're usually close enough to get you on paper to start.

Looks like your off to a good start.
    If the numbers you put in are correct you should very close.
    The only thing i notice is a very slow velocity. I dont know your load or cartridge, but it is common for cheap chronographs to give faulty data. If you are unsure try and shoot through two chronys
    and see if they agree.

slayer,

The difference between FTE and JBM in your example is how the distance from the chronograph is measured and the effect it does or does not have on the velocity.

I'm not sure how FTE does it, but in JBM if you change the distance to the chrongraph from the default of 10 ft to 4 ft feet, you get this reading in JBM @ 1000 yds

1000 yds -527.1 Drop in In -50.3 drop in MOA

As a test, I ran JBM again, this time I kept the chrongraph distance at 10 ft, but changed the muzzle velocity to 2410 FPS (same input parameter listed in BOLD on top of FTE) and got this: 1000 Yds -527.2 Drop in In -50.3 drop in MOA

Now the numbers between FTE and JBM are spot on.

This is something that may help you. I know it can be frustrating at first. Sometimes it helps to see someone else go over it. If nothing else you can call me, and I will try and tell you my steps.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mtMmqvfH1po&feature=youtube_gdata_player "></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mtMmqvfH1po&feature=youtube_gdata_player " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

slayer, take comfort. Looks like you're doing everything right. A 2" difference @ 1000 yards is a algorithmic rounding error! Even JBM's website by itself is just meant to get you into the ballpark (admittedly a very small one, but an estimate just the same). One thing I'd recommend: Turn off the Zero Atmosphere in Ballistic. I asked the author about it and it only makes a difference if you zero @ 300 yards or more.

In fact, you can try this in JBM: Set your zero to 600 yards, then change either pressure or temperature drastically and look at the difference in drop @ 100 yards. With my .308 load, for example, I only see .5" going from 28.5Hg to 30.05Hg, which is a large pressure range. I hardly bother taking notes when zeroing @ 100 anymore other than wanting to know muzzle velocity. It's the current conditions at longer ranges that will require accurate input.

There's another potential issue: JBM Trajectory does not use zeroing weather.

So try setting (a) current weather the same as zeroing weather and (b) JBM output in inches and MRAD instead of MOA - and see if they're any closer to each other. Though 2" difference at 1000 yards isn't that big an error.
    smile.gif

Re. turning zero weather off - I don't think it's the right approach. But then, experiment - the program output would prove this right or wrong.

Hey all I just wanted to check in real quick and see what all had been said. I've been taking a beating at work today. Thank you all for the posts, I've scanned through them and just knowing none of you have seen some glowing mistakes has made me feel a lot better! when I get home tonight I'm going to read through them all again and watch the video!!

Thanks a lot all!!!

Try an easier app like the Knights or NF calculators, they are pretty user friendly, and work well. I like to keep things simple, some like FTE seem to be too complicated, I also have Mil Dot ballistics and it is nice for doing range est and getting your leads and mil holds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Re. turning zero weather off - I don't think it's the right approach. But then, experiment - the program output would prove this right or wrong. </div></div>
    When I consulted with Jonathan Zdziarksi, the author of Ballistic, he explained why he includes it and agreed that with a 100-yard zero it was unnecessary. That point was also made by Lindy in another thread a while back (http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1788314). If you zero @ 100 and turn Zero Atmosphere off then all you have to worry about is the Current Atmosphere settings. The Zero Atmosphere will automatically "adopt" the current settings and it will be just like using JBM, i.e. only one input group to worry about.

On the subject of weather, unless your shooting range is next to the weather station, regardless of the software you are using, turn the automatic weather settings off. Your best bet is to have something like a Kestrel to get the station pressure where you're at. Along with muzzle velocity and the correct BC, that is the most important input. You can get by with a GPS that as an altimeter too. Temperature has some effect, but if you can estimate within 20F of actual, you'll be fine. Wind is harder, but again you can come fairly close by learning to see its effects on surrounding vegetation and gauging from there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's another potential issue: JBM Trajectory does not use zeroing weather.

So try setting (a) current weather the same as zeroing weather and (b) JBM output in inches and MRAD instead of MOA - and see if they're any closer to each other. Though 2" difference at 1000 yards isn't that big an error.
    smile.gif

Re. turning zero weather off - I don't think it's the right approach. But then, experiment - the program output would prove this right or wrong. </div></div>

This is true. It's not meant too -- that's what the trajectory cards are for. You can see why here:

JBM - Topics - Elevation

Thanks,

Brad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Re. turning zero weather off - I don't think it's the right approach. But then, experiment - the program output would prove this right or wrong. </div></div>
    When I consulted with Jonathan Zdziarksi, the author of Ballistic, he explained why he includes it and agreed that with a 100-yard zero it was unnecessary. That point was also made by Lindy in another thread a while back (http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1788314). If you zero @ 100 and turn Zero Atmosphere off then all you have to worry about is the Current Atmosphere settings. The Zero Atmosphere will automatically "adopt" the current settings and it will be just like using JBM, i.e. only one input group to worry about.</div></div>
    1. It's great that Mr. Zdziarski (a well-respected iPhone security expert) thinks zeroing weather is unnecessary for 100-yard zero. When you talk to him next time, feel free to remind that he still got the wind input backwards.
    wink.gif

2. From the thread you referred to (with Lindy comments) it follows that whether zeroing weather with 100-yard zero matters or not - depends on how much difference in conditions (elevation or density altitude especially) there is. Normally the difference effect is negligible, and starts showing up with about 9,000 ft difference in elevation (just double-checked with JBM to make sure - the difference for 9,000ft elevation actually is 0.1mRad at 100m for 308 Win SMK 175gr).

<span style="font-style: italic">On the other hand, when I'm zeroing the rifle I'm recording everything anyway. It is now unlikely that I'd shoot at elevations 10+K ft different from where I zero - but since I have this data I put it in once and stop worrying about it from that point on. An extra bit of precision - even when it's mostly/usually negligible/imperceptible - does not hurt and might even help. And it's a good habit to get into - considering that sometimes and for some people there <span style="text-decoration: underline">are</span> circumstances when you zero at -1,000ft but shoot at +14,000ft (luckily not for me now
    smile.gif
    ).</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the subject of weather, unless your shooting range is next to the weather station, regardless of the software you are using, turn the automatic weather settings off. Your best bet is to have something like a Kestrel to get the station pressure where you're at. Along with muzzle velocity and the correct BC, that is the most important input.</div></div>
    Yes, naturally.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hogstooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try an easier app <span style="font-weight: bold">like the Knights</span> or NF calculators, they are pretty user friendly, and work well.</div></div>
    +1. I enjoy KAC Bullet Flight, and so far - thankfully - it didn't let me down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    1. It's great that Mr. Zdziarski (a well-respected iPhone security expert) thinks zeroing weather is unnecessary for 100-yard zero. When you talk to him next time, feel free to remind that he still got the wind input backwards.
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

LOL! He was very prickly about the subject, actually. It was more of a concession on his part than anything. I told him he should just outright remove it because JBM doesn't use it. But apparently he is one of those guys who zeros @ 600 yards. (I guess he never thought about buying a scope with more elevation). I also told him that people using zero-stop on their scopes would not be zeroing @ 600 yards.

I actually had to get back on my Touch to see what you meant about the wind inputs. Not a huge deal IMO, but overall, the device and app just seem clunky to me anymore. It has a lot of useful features, but the input methods do not take advantage of the touch interface or haptic (vibratory) feedback. I tried to take that into account in developing a calculator for Windows Phone 7 (http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2819924).

For instance, you can select wind or target direction by dragging (and get visual confirmation at the same time). LOS angle can either be set that way or by tapping a button. Granted, Ballistic does that too, but it beeps (you gotta be kidding) and you have to look at it while activating it to confirm that it's activated. A short little bit of haptic feedback when you activate and when it's done mean you can just aim it and know it's working.

Incidentally, the main reason I don't think any data matters when zeroing @ 100 yards is because, for most of us, .1 mil or .36" is not enough to know whether it's us, the rifle, the ammo or the current environmental conditions. I was able to see that .1 mil difference with my particular .308 load by using a 300 yard zero. So we kind of know it's there, but is it usable knowledge for someone zeroing @ 100?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

LOL! He was very prickly about the subject, actually. It was more of a concession on his part than anything. I told him he should just outright remove it because JBM doesn't use it. But apparently he is one of those guys who zeros @ 600 yards. (I guess he never thought about buying a scope with more elevation). I also told him that people using zero-stop on their scopes would not be zeroing @ 600 yards.</div></div>
    For this once I agree with him. This is a precision tool - and it should provide as much precision as possible. Some users can't use that much precision, some users don't need that much precision - but others can and will. It's better (IMHO) to have something you don't (usually!) need than to need something you don't have.
    wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually had to get back on my Touch to see what you meant about the wind inputs. Not a huge deal IMO, but overall, the device and app just seem clunky to me anymore. It has a lot of useful features, but the input methods do not take advantage of the touch interface or haptic (vibratory) feedback. I tried to take that into account in developing a calculator for Windows Phone 7 (http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2819924). </div></div>
    Not a <span style="text-decoration: underline">huge</span> deal, and I'm sure many users don't even notice (or they expect ballistic calculator to bring them on the right map grid, and from there on another half-dozen shots will get the corrections right
    smile.gif
    ).

Re. Win 7 Phone program. Nice idea and nice interface! <span style="font-style: italic">I hate to admit that it looks good, because when I hear "Windows <something>" my hands start working the bolt automatically.
    grin.gif
    </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Incidentally, the main reason I don't think any data matters when zeroing @ 100 yards is because, for most of us, .1 mil or .36" is not enough to know whether it's us, the rifle, the ammo or the current environmental conditions.</div></div>
    Yes, for most of us most of the time. So what? As I said above - for many users windage correction doesn't seem to matter, but we don't suggest removing it based on that?

Re. JBM - Brad has his own reasons for leaving zeroing weather out of Trajectory: he does not one JBM "product" to overlap another. His Data Cards have very detailed zeroing and current weather. He's concerned that Trajectory with zeroing weather included would obviate or duplicate Data Cards, and he doesn't want that. <span style="font-style: italic">Since Brad is on this forum, if I misrepresented his view in any way - my apologies, and he can straighten the picture.</span>

Russians (who are good in math and write darn good ballistic calculators) seem to follow my train of thought because even the simplistic iStrelok (not to mention the advanced Strelok Pro that unfortunately doesn't run on iPhone) includes zeroing weather.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I was able to see that .1 mil difference with my particular .308 load by using a 300 yard zero. So we kind of know it's there, but is it usable knowledge for someone zeroing @ 100?</div></div>
    As I said in my prior post - it depends. For many (most?) of the users - probably not, for some - definitely yes. I key it in as a matter of principle - like a checklist or a procedure that doesn't apply always but is good to follow, so that if one day the environment says you need e.g. "step 21" you don't unconsciously throw it out because you were omitting it for the last 20 years...
    smile.gif

This is my take and my $0.02.
    wink.gif

Mouse, thanks for the heads up on JBM's data cards using the Zero weather. I learned something new today. However, I still am not seeing where it makes a difference when zeroing @ 100 yards. I can see that drops change with a long zero, e.g. -15F vs. 100F on a 600 yard zero yields a .6" difference @ 100 yards. So we know it's there. I'm not disputing that. (I've also made a note to go out on the coldest day I can this winter and again in July and shoot the same load @ 100 yards).

It just doesn't seem to make a difference when it comes to calculators like Ballistic. In other words, you can enter that data if it makes for consistency but it doesn't matter what conditions are when you zero @ 100. The calculator will not differ enough in output to matter. For example, here's a screenshot of output screens I mailed to myself from Ballistic. The first is with Zero atmos turned on (and you can see the 55 deg. temp difference I put into the Current Atmosphere). The second is with it turned off:

ballistic_zero_atmos.png

In the second, Ballistic just "adopts" the Current Atmosphere to the Zero Atmosphere when it is turned off. Noting this and the absence of that feature in the regular JBM interface, I chose to leave it out of mine. For anyone ranging even @ 300 yards the difference would be less than .1 mil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mouse, thanks for the heads up on JBM's data cards using the Zero weather. I learned something new today. However, I still am not seeing where it makes a difference when zeroing @ 100 yards. I can see that drops change with a long zero, e.g. -15F vs. 100F on a 600 yard zero yields a .6" difference @ 100 yards. So we know it's there. I'm not disputing that. (I've also made a note to go out on the coldest day I can this winter and again in July and shoot the same load @ 100 yards).

It just doesn't seem to make a difference when it comes to calculators like Ballistic. In other words, you can enter that data if it makes for consistency but it doesn't matter what conditions are when you zero @ 100. The calculator will not differ enough in output to matter.</div></div>
    As I already said, for the type of shooting we both are doing <span style="text-decoration: underline">now</span> it probably doesn't matter, except for the same of completeness and consistency. But (a) we weren't always in this position, and (b) there are others for who it matters now. <span style="font-style: italic">Not to mention - your printout stopped at 1000 yards? I compute in meters, and don't stop until it hits 2000.
    grin.gif
    </span>

One can release two version of the calculator: (a) dumb-sh** for somebody who never leaves his home range and for who there are two kinds of weather - winter and summer, and (b) kick-arse for somebody who zeroes in Canada in winter and shoots in <fill the blanks>.

Even in the really good calculators like Bullet Flight I still find that I'm missing data I'd like to get from it - like Max Ordinate (mentioned fairly recently in another thread here). I feel perfectly comfortable with the inputs and so so don't see the need to simplify it. There's always iStrelok and iSnipe for those who find Bullet Flight and Ballistic FTE too complicated.
    wink.gif

<span style="font-style: italic">Sorry, got an emergency, need to run. Can't polish the text any more.</span>

@ 2200 yards (2000m = 2187y) the drop with my load would be 4200.7" with Zero Atmos enabled and 4200.4" with it disabled. You can zero in the middle of Nunavut on a -50F day in January for all I care, but if you zero @ 100 yards (or 100 meters), regardless of what conditions are or distances you shoot when you are sitting @ 11,000 ft. in Afghanistan no ballistic calculator will give you results that make a difference.

If you zero @ 100 y/m you need to know your muzzle velocity and an accurate BC, using a drag model appropriate to your bullet, e.g. G7 for boat tails. I would also double check that the distance is exact. Even if you zero @ 300, it will hardly make a difference. So it is not "dumb-sh**" but rather a sound design decision to pare an interface down to the essentials.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Re. JBM - Brad has his own reasons for leaving zeroing weather out of Trajectory: he does not one JBM "product" to overlap another. His Data Cards have very detailed zeroing and current weather. He's concerned that Trajectory with zeroing weather included would obviate or duplicate Data Cards, and he doesn't want that. <span style="font-style: italic">Since Brad is on this forum, if I misrepresented his view in any way - my apologies, and he can straighten the picture.</span>
    </div></div>

It really comes down to the fact that many, many, many people use my website. If I make a change to something, I have to make the defaults such that it doesn't change the output. So as not to confuse users.

Adding zero information to the basic trajectory calculator would be, in my opinion, a big step for some users that doesn't understand why it is needed. That means many, many emails for me to explain it.

So when I do change something or add functionality, it tends to be in the form of new calculators.

Thanks!

Brad

Brad, I'd be interested to hear your opinions on why or when a zero atmosphere might be needed.

OK, Wow just WOW. Thank you all for all your posts, and not negative post at all. Thank you for all the information and all the helpful hints. To be totally honest I don't totally understand all the why's but I understand enough to feel good about what I have, and the fact that I should get on paper at out to 600 and be able to get my true dope from there.

I do have a question on the video posted. I understand all the inputs and outputs but I have a question on the verifications. In the video after the 2 groups are papered he talks about measuring from center of the target to each actual shot, then taking the average to figure out how high he is, and then suing that distance to correct his velocity. But in the video he is right and high at about 45 degrees. So if you measure distance from center to the shots that isn't distance "high" that is distance "high and over". Shouldn't you measure up from center line to get your distance high? Say I did this exact same thing, and blew my windage call out my rear and my group landed dead to the right. I can't take my distance from center and call it high right?

Sorry if this is a dumb question it just seems right to me and I need someone smarter to verify it for me.

J

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is something that may help you. I know it can be frustrating at first. Sometimes it helps to see someone else go over it. If nothing else you can call me, and I will try and tell you my steps.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mtMmqvfH1po&feature=youtube_gdata_player "></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mtMmqvfH1po&feature=youtube_gdata_player " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brad, I'd be interested to hear your opinions on why or when a zero atmosphere might be needed. </div></div>

That's hard to say. I'm not sure I've really seen it in the ranges that I shoot. Under 800 yards, I doubt you would need to do it -- unless you're shooting really small groups at extreme ranges -- which cuts me out (I'm sure someone can come up with some extreme conditions that matter...).

I find that temperature has a bigger affect on muzzle velocity than the density change since my 308's change velocity at about 1.2 f/s per degree F.

Brad

OK all I got out to the 500m range today (I said 600 before and was corrected today) and got a chance to verify/correct my data for my rifle. I figured I had to start with the stock load data for the 168 FGMM since all my data had been figured off the 175 Southwest ammo. I started with all data figured at a 100 yard zero. I verified my zero with a 5 shot I could cover with a quarter and then moved out to 200m, 300m and finally 500m. My clicks at 200m according to G7 were off by 3 clicks. So I adjusted my Velocity in FTE until my charts matched my data and gave me a solution for 300m. I dialed in my scope and let fly and was damn close, a little high and to the left but only about 1.5" out. I adjusted, took my notes and recalculated with FTE for my 500m solution, dialed in and took my shot. No impact, no idea where it hit, my spotter could see the dirt kicking behind the target but I scored no hits on paper. After 3 unknown shots I switched to a steel ram they have set at 500m figured I could hear/see my results. That I was hitting on again it seemed a little high and too the left I'd call half a mil up and left, I was low on rounds and wanted to verify at 200m so I left the adjustments alone. Dialed back to zero, and added my 8 clicks to 200m and hammered 4 in an 1.8" diamond and one just slightly out which for me as a first past 100 is really promising.

OK, now the question. When I got home and plugged in all my corrections I'm getting an average velocity on 2282 fps which seems very low. I'm shooting a Rem 700 AAC-SD with the 20" barrel. But the 175's were pushing 2414 fps. I guess I'm looking to see if anyone out there are seeing anything close to my numbers?

As always all thanks again for all the help you really all saved me a lot of ammo!

J

Sounds like this time you weren't able to verify muzzle velocity. The reason I say that is because 2282 fps is way too low. It should be more like 2600-2650. Even this screenshot below, using 2500fps is too conservative. But what you need (in addition to a reliable muzzle velocity) is to get your settings in FTE to match these, more or less. I'm guessing by your location that you shoot near sea level. The barometric pressure shown is just the standard, corrected pressure for that. You could tweak everything just a bit, but if you use corrected pressure (from a weather report) enter your altitude.

fggm.png

Ok I seem to have figured out some more of my problem. First. The range is in meters. All my data was figured in yards. When I change to meters and retest my actual click values I get better results. If I zeroed at 100 YARDS at 200 METERS 8 clicks gives me a average speed of 2510. So that data looks better too me. At 200 yards I'm at 7 clicks. Some day I'll figure this out. Or at least be confident enough to think I have a grip on it.

J