• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy, check my buying list!

theSHAMOO

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2022
Charlotte, NC
Sold a few guns that served me no utility so that I can buy/assemble a nicer rifle that can be used for LR or stand hunting. I have no LR experience but would like to get my feet wet. Also just want a well rounded collection of guns. I have an AR, CCW, and Shotgun, so this seemed like the logical next thing on the list. I have plenty of hunting land, and long ranges (1000yd+) are about 90 minutes away, which isnt all too bad.

Below is what I think I would like to buy after doing some reading and defining my budget. I already have nice glass. Open to any opinions from you guys so that I dont do anything that I regret. This is about all the money I have for my budget, as I want to spend the rest ~$500 on decent ammo and a few AR accessorries.

1659628884537.png

Id personally go into the Buy/Sell forum, and get better stuff from onhere, slightly used, but better quality

just to ask who's barrel and action are you going with ?

just to ask who's barrel and action are you going with ?
sorry I guess that wasnt transparent. Its a Howa Heavy Barrel (threaded) and howa 1500 action. I've read better things about tikka/bergara, but for the same price point with tikka, I'm getting a lighter non-threaded barrel. Bergara maybe a better option.

Reactions: acudaowner
The Howa set up isn't bad, but neither is a Tikka or Bergara. You are splitting hairs at that price point.

I would hold off on the Harris and save for at least an Atlas bipod. Yes, Harris has been around forever and everyone has one, but most are gathering dust as back ups.

I would argue most of your concern isn't with these three components, but your optics. That's where your money should be spent.

And like 99M said, scour the buy/sell/trade forum. Money spent on used solid gear goes farther than money spent on new, introductory gear.

I agree with the above statements. Look in the classifieds and buy a barreled action that is worthy. There us a defiance action 6 dasher on there for 1250 or so. Buy a better than average scope, not some POS that has great reviews from the Walmart crowd. Spend some cash on a scope that is clouded or 2nd focal plane. Buy a good stock or chassis.
I've done this mistakes listed above....
I've managed to buy good components on here and have a great rifle now. I didnt buy everything all at once.
Good luck