• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New guy dropping in to say-Howdy!

bptactical

Sergeant
Minuteman
Afternoon all-
New guy to the forum but not to the firearms game. Native here to Colorado.
Active on a few other forums but new here, referred by a gent I did a bit of work for who is a member here.
Gunsmith and machinist, looking to further my knowledge and get a bit deeper into the bolt/precision rifle game.
This is probably where I will spend the majority of my time as the 'Smithing is a part of my retirement plan!
Look forward to learning bunches more on the distance tack drivers.
Semi Auto MBR's and AW's, 1911's are what I tend to gravitate to but looking to broaden the horizons a bit.
Formal background as a free machinist.

Howdy Ya'll!

Re: New guy dropping in to say-Howdy!

free machinist?!?!?!?!

whats you address I got a ton of work for you!

BTW if you are truly free your retirement plan might be a bust for you bud sorry
wink.gif

Re: New guy dropping in to say-Howdy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">free machinist?!?!?!?!

whats you address I got a ton of work for you!

BTW if you are truly free your retirement plan might be a bust for you bud sorry
wink.gif
</div></div>

Glad to see that a twisted sense of humor is allowed here!

"Free Machinist" = Traditional dial and knob turner. No CNC here, right out of High School I went to night school for two years for machine technology. I worked for 5 years in one of the last true "Job shops" in metro Denver and that is where the real education took place, anything from welding and re-cutting gear teeth on a 5' diameter elevator bull gear to milling surgical instruments. I learned a hell of a lot from the old man that owned the place. I did very little production machining-it drove me nuts to make one part 500 times.
I ended up going to work for a State entity and that is where I have been for the last 20 years. Now with that winding down I am setting the stage for the next step.
As far a the Gunsmithing experience I have been a tinkerer with firearms as long as I can remember. My first love was muzzleloaders-my cousin was a bigtime Buckskinner and for my freshman year high school Industrial Arts project I built a copy of the Modena Rifle. I was happy until I got a chance to put a few rounds downrange with an AR and HK91 one day and after that I was hooked on centerfire.
I don't have a formal education as a Gunsmith other than a few armorers courses which I recognize is a hinderance in some folks eyes. I would love to put my life on hold for 18 months and go to Yavapai or Trinidad but I am not in a position to do such. Besides, there are some aspects of the trade I really have no desire to deal with such as "Masterpiece Refinishing" and as such would be a waste of money and time.
I worked for a local shop for about 3.5 years doing sales and Gunsmithing for them but it was only advantageous to them, so I decided to go on my own this last summer. I have been fairly well but I am getting more bolt action work coming in so on advice of one of my customers her I is.........