• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy from Australia **with a couple of pics**

simon01

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2012
Hi guy's,

New member here from Australia. I've been lurking around the forum, reading bits and pieces for close to a year; so I thought I become a member! Steel plate, plinking targets, foxes, rabbits and kangaroo have been my 'game' so far (only been shooting for a year). I usually get to shoot at, 0-200m. It used to be more, but have sold off the scoped 308.

Gun laws are terrible down here, so excuse the lack of goodies I own. I'm planning a long range tactical build for the end of the year (tax refund!) but as it stands now, I have 5 firearms. Only 3 are pictured because the other two (Longbranch No4 MKI* and Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic) are being sold off.

I'm a 22yo student nurse RN-DIV1 (... man nurse) and busting my arse to improve my fitness across the board to hopefully become a paramedic - or join the military. Moving with my partner to the USA is also a very serious ambition of mine, which I hope will become a reality sooner rather than later. It will happen at some point, I'm sure of that at least.

As I said before, firearms legislation down here is terrible. I had 'big plans' for some kick arse pictures of the FR8 with a bandolier and either my belt or vest or something outside - sadly, it is too easy for someone to call LE and get shooters into trouble. I'll have to wait a bit to setup a nice photo.

So here are my guns...

- La Coruna 1956 FR8 'carbine' 308win.

IMG_0250.jpg

- Savage MKII-F .22.

IMG_0256.jpg

- Stoeger Outback Tactical U/O 12ga.

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

I am restricted from owning a semi automatic firearm of any sort, as well as pump action shotguns so that was my reason for getting the 'tactical' U/O shotgun. I have an LED Lenser fitted on an aimpoint QD twist mount on a forward side rail, as well as a no brand reflex red dot up top. No brand because I wanted to see if I like having a red dot on a shotgun, before buying something 'better'. It's been on there 3 months and still going strong.

The FR8 is just down right fantastic. Beefy little battle rifle (not a 'true' battle rifle though) and very unique down here. Purchased an original sling and bayonet for it, and about 10 clips too.

The 22, is my little .22. Some like it, some don't. I've copped some flak in the past for having a vertical foregrip and a bipod. I say... it's my rifle; get over it. I enjoy the added stability and 'reference point' the foregrip provides, and the bipod makes one-hole groups possible out to 70m, for me anyway. Other can go further. I've got a 2 point sling on there, as well as a Tasco Golden Antler 4X32 scope with butler creek flip up scope caps and a barrel mounted tacti'torch.

I'm a sucker for the tacticoooooool thing... army gear, molle, belts, shemagh - I love it. Sadly though, it is frowned upon (even by fellow gun owners) to wear cammo. Don't even ask what sort of slirs are thrown your way, if you are caught wearing a molle vest or something similar. Sad times indeed. I tone it down to a British desert camo under amour shirt (I was born and raised in England), OD green trousers and my shemagh. As for carrying gear around, I have a couple bandoliers and a few old M60 link shoulder strap ammo pouches. If I am doing more than going for a target shoot, I have a surplus belt, bum bag an a couple of canteens.

I do own a Flektarn South African assault vest, and a stock standard molle front plate carrier with a few things mounted to them. Don't get to use them at all really
frown.gif

Thanks for reading... sorry it is so long. Just thought I'd introduce myself, and share a bit about how I like to shoot.

I hope to contribute where I can!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

**no matter what I do, the dam pictures are upside down... bloody Iphone4... I even edited them the rite way up, but when uploading; they are upside down again... oooooooooooooo well.**

Re: New guy from Australia

Upload your pictures to a photo share site like Photobucket (no naked pics of your partner though, they'll ban you). One you have done that you should be able to find the <span style="font-weight: bold">[</span>IMG<span style="font-weight: bold">]</span> code for the pics you want to post fairly easy. Then you can copy it from Photobucket and paste it in your thread.

When you go to post them here, preview your post before you hit submit.

A picture's code you are trying to post should look something like this.

<span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'">
taticool476holymolle589asshatery <span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'">
</span>

and once you hit preview the picture should show, if it doesn't keep working on it.

Thick skin mixed with a decent sense of humor is a prerequisite here when you mention tacticool, etc, etc...

ALWAYS try the custom Google SnipersHide search engine located under the Shout Box BEFORE starting a "What is the best scope for under $1,000" type of thread.

If you have simple general knowledge questions you can try your luck in the Shout Box with it. Think before you ask though... or have your flame suit ready.

It usually helps other members help you if you fill out your profile. I have seen a few Australian members that might know where you can get the good stuff that you will see here.

Good luck and welcome.

Yeah cheers buddy. It was photobucket that had the brain fart... now I have to upload each image individually; rather than select all which I want. Won't be able to do it for an hour or so now.

I'm on an aussie shooting forum atm, however I prefer the 'knowledge' available on most of the USA sites. Aussie one turns into a bitch fight more often than not, with very little 'factual' information being shared. Bit of a shame.

hahahaha! that is the biggest fail of a lever gun ever... Mossberg tried too hard I reckon. It would be easier to live with, if you blacked up a standard rifle - instead of that Frankenstein monster IMO.

Thanks for the heads up on flaming fng's. I do my own research before I ask questions. Once I've got some info to play with, that's when I like to get some help - weeding out the bs to arrive at the final product.

I'm thinking of a Howa 1500 build, I've already got a few of those legacy sports polymer magazines from the old Weatherby I sold (fit both rifles). Would really like a manners T5 or T5A or something similar. Anyway, I have enough time to plan it

Thanks for the welcome.

The amount of good knowledge here is thick and not too much BS to weed through unless you create it for yourself. Tons of good info and people to help.

I have a Manners T5 with Mini Chassis. I highly recommend it and the company. Thomas Manners is a member here, you will see his posts around.

I entered "Howa 1500 build" in the search engine and this is the first thread of a few that popped up.

<span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'">HOWA 1500 BUILD</span> <-- LINK

That search feature works really good, the one up top not so much.

nice thread
laugh.gif
I've had a read through once before, the guy who put a Howa into an AI stock is on the aussie forum I use.

Some nice ideas in there.