• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Guy From Northern NY

Astrohog

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2012
Constableville, NY
Just getting into Precision Shooting, and a few friends and I are looking into setting up a ~800 yd. range.

I have been watching the 8541 Tactical videos on the website and youtube to get some education. I have also been learning a lot by searching through this website. I am going to get some steel from JC Steel Targets to setup on the range. Currently have a couple places that we can shoot 800+ yds.

I have been doing some dry firing with the rifle and am having trouble staying on target at ~100 yds after "firing." The two problems that have are the rifle jumps when the firing pin slams forward, and the rifle moves quite a bit when cycling the bolt.

I might try to find a couple local matches to go hang out at and learn some things. Any matches that would be worth attending as a spectator in the Northern NY region? I have heard that Ft. Drum has a match every year but do not have any info on it.

Current Rifle Setup is:
700 XCR Compact Tactical .308
SWFA SS 3-9x42
Harris BRMS 6"-9" w/ Pod-Loc
TIS Quick Cuff
Triad Stock Pack
Triad Tapered Rear Bag
Storm Modular Data Book

Levi

Welcome from downstate. Seems like you've got a good setup to get started, and having a couple places to shoot 800+ yds around you couldn't hurt things at all! Good luck