• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy from Oregon

Waco

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2013
western Oregon
Waco here. I live in western Oregon. I've been shooting all my life, and reloading, and bullet casting for 15 years. I've enjoyed all kinds of shooting except long range shooting until now. Untill just recently, I've never shot anything past 100 yards. I fell into a rifle I couldn't pass up. Rem. 700 heavy barrel, McMillan fully adjustable stock, Harris bipod, and Leupold VXIII 3.5x10x50 mildot scope.
Oh yeah. .308
The gun is a shooter. I quickly found a load it likes. My best five shot group at 100 yards is .325"
The gun will shoot in the .6's all day long.
The load is...
LC '74 brass
WLR primers
38.5 grains of H4895
SMK 168
Col 2.900"
2460fps (slow, I know) shot too good to mess with!:)
So, we went camping a couple weeks ago out to the high desert of central Oregon.
I work in a fab shop and made some round 10 1/2" targets out of 3/8" AR400 steel
We hung them on saw horses starting at 350 yards. This was a breeze to hit. So we moved them out to 450, then 550, then 700 and that got hard. Thank God for the ballistics calculator app I got for my iPhone.
After a bit, I hit steel at 700 ! Very excited!
Then, we moved out to 900!
Man. That's tough! 15 or so rounds later, I hit steel at 900!
To say I was a happy camper is an understatement!
I never thought I would be able to do that my first time out.
Like I said, this is all very new to me. I have already seen abbreviations and phrases I don't recognize.
Please bear with this noobie as I am sure I'll have some silly questions for you guys.
So , greetings from the great pacific northwest!!!
Waco

There is nothing easy to hitting near moa steel at 900 with a .308, great job! Especially when you're spitting slow 168's down the tube. Give some 175's a try, up the speed to 2550 or so, and you will see an entirely new world of LR shooting come to light. Welcome!

I would love to, but components are still hard to come by.as soon as i find some, I'll give them a try.
Thank you!