• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy from Texas

alamo5000

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2020
I recently joined the forum to hopefully find like minded people to bounce ideas and similar interests off of. I am an active member of only one other gun forum. I am from Texas. I have lived all over the world in numerous different countries. I grew up around firearms but in recent years I've been building and buying various things and have been much more 'serious' into the sport. I think I built my first AR about 6 or 7 years ago and have completed several others since. If you include the cans currently in jail (two) I have eight suppressors. I am definitely an NFA person including a couple of SBRs.

I really enjoy doing the whole long range shooting thing. My longest shots on target are at 1,400 yards using a friend's rifle that I helped him build and work up a load for. On the first day out before handing the rifle over we stretched the legs and got on steel. Even without going out far, I like to see how far I can push things. For example I have a 16" AR15 that I can reliably hit steel at 800 yards with no problem. Stuff like rimfire ELR appeals to me but I've never done it.

I am also a long time reloader. I haven't built (or bought) a truly long range rifle yet but I am definitely in the market (which in part is some of the reason for me joining Sniper's Hide) I hate over paying but I generally know you get what you pay for so typically I save up for longer in between firearms so that I can get what I really want. I also try to pick the brains of more experienced people that can give no nonsense advice. I don't always follow it but I definitely respect it and consider it throughout my learning process. That said I tend to over think about stuff, but by the time it takes form into a rifle I pretty much have what I am after because I try to keep it productive into what whatever I'm doing.

Anyway, nice to meet all of you. Hopefully we can learn a ton here and have a good time.

Welcome aboard from the Hill Country. May I assume that the Alamo suggests you’re from San Antonio area? Lots of good shooting opportunities around the area.

Reactions: alamo5000
Thanks for the warm reception. I tend to not get on a lot of gun forums simply because often there is lots of drama, butt hurt, and people who feel the need to justify their choices usually by putting down everything else or some other garbage. This place though seems to be on the level.

The Hide though looks like a fairly good place to be, particularly because it aligns a lot with my specific interests vs just general firearms stuff which of course I enjoy quite a lot as well. Long range etc is definitely a rabbit hole, but it's my rabbit hole. ;) I joke with people and instead of saying 'gun nut' I call myself a 'gun nerd'. It's definitely a specialized kind of nerd for sure.

I am not from San Antonio area btw. I am in East Texas. The Alamo (for me) tends to sum up my Texas pride and a lot of family history etc.

I can to shoot to about 200 yards at my house which is great for me. It's more than enough for 5.56 SBR action, 300 BLK shooting, pistols, load work up etc. It's kind of nice not having to haul all my stuff around for the most part. For my long range stuff a friend has nearly 1,000 acres and a private firing range that I can use pretty much whenever. That's kind of nice as well.

Thanks again for the warm reception. Definitely much appreciated.

Welcome to the Hide from Middle Georgia. You've got some great experience and can really add to that here and get some unbelievable distance help here. Gotta be great to have a decent range without the baggage and travel issues. Look forward to reading some good posts in the future. You definitely came to the right place...

I definitely want to add to the conversation for sure. I definitely like to add when I can.

I think I am capable of shooting much further than I have in the past with just what I know now...not including all the stuff I can and will learn here. I am definitely eager to talk shop with people whether it's helping or learning.

Part of my problem is equipment and space. Shooting out to 3,500 meters with a rifle that costs $10 bucks per round to reload is interesting but I don't have that kind of cash to play that game yet. :ROFLMAO: It's one of those skills that you can perfect with some inherited money. In the mean time I am getting my jollies from shooting relatively smaller calibers to distances. Having access to a private 1,400 yard lane then going '1,400 is not enough' kind of makes me shake my head at myself at times. LOL:)

Welcome! I am glad you decided to join. As mentioned above, we are like minded people just hanging out together.
Unfortunately every group has a few that just sit around and attempt to initiate arguments or demean others.
Pay them no attention. There is tons of excellent information in the minds of SH members and 99.9% of them will help you in any way possible. 😁