• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy from the Austin, Texas area

dneid

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2020
Hey, Guys,
I am located in the Austin, Texas area. Finally getting back into rifles after a long time away. I bought a T/C Compass in 7mm Rem Mag (24 inch batrel and I believe a 10 twiat) with a Vortex (4-16 x 44 FFP)for a hunt last year and It has been an ok gun. yeah, I bagged a mulie at about 175 yards.
I have been given a cheaper 7mm Rm Mag in Remington 700 with a 26 inch, 9.25 twist, sporter profile barrel. Not a 783. It seems ok so far. I did put a nice Vortex Viper Gen II on it (3-15 x 44 FFP, MOA). Nice scope. The rifle shoots ok at 100 yrds. I am just at a tick under 1 MOA / 5 shot groups.
I am considering re-stocking both rifles. Also, a new barrel on the 700? My question is is the 700 worth the money for taking it out to 500+ yards? is there a better action to start with? I had a Winchester 70 many years ago in 270. That was a solid rifle! Now that the model 70 is back, is it worth the effort to maximize it?
That's it for now. I am looking forward to learning a ton from you all.
Dale

Reactions: Ronws
Welcome Dale. I'm down in the Houston area. I think the 700 is fine out to 500 yards. That being said, if you really want to do it right, there are tons of custom actions out there that are probably a better option. There is a monthly PRS match over at CCC near Navasota. Attending a match would allow you to check out tons of actions in one place.

Thanks for the info Twoguns. I think that attending a match is in the cards for me as soon as I have some time.