• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy from the north east

UglyViking

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2022
Free State
Hey all,

Brand new here and figured I'd introduce myself.

After toying with the idea of getting into long range shooting for over a decade a new buddy pushed me over the edge and I decided to dip my toe into this crazy world. After some feedback on solid beginner equipment and a few weeks of dedicated searching I was able to find a decent intro setup at a LGS that I'll be swinging by to pickup tonight.

I'm beyond stoked to get the thing setup for myself and get to the range to start my journey, which I'm sure will be longer than I hope but it's all about the journey right?

Anyway, I've got absolutely 0 value to add to any conversation and am only dipping my toe in so who knows how long I'll end up hanging around but seems like this forum has a ton of valuable information and I'm eager to sponge as much of it up as I can.

Thanks for having me!

"Free State" and "North East" seem like incongruous terms, unless possibly you mean NH, which isn't all that free, but vastly better than the surrounding crapholes. Maine isn't too bad, except they have quite a history of electing some of the most notorious RINOs in the country.
Anyway, welcome to the forum!

"Free State" and "North East" seem like incongruous terms, unless possibly you mean NH, which isn't all that free, but vastly better than the surrounding crapholes. Maine isn't too bad, except they have quite a history of electing some of the most notorious RINOs in the country.
Anyway, welcome to the forum!
I do mean NH, and according to the CATO Institute (and their freedom in the 50 states project, link), NH is the most free state in the nation, ranking number 1 overall. I do grant you that we have neighbors that are very opinionated though.

Got a chance to get out yesterday (Wednesday). Had the time of my life. Started out obviously small at 100 yard to confirm zero. Then moved out to longer distances. 300 - 400 - 500 - 600 - 700 and finally 800 yards. Landed 3 of 5 shots at 800 yards on a roughly 12x12 plate, in roughly the center. I realize I'm not going to win any awards as I "took my time" (and my buddies time) in lining up the shots and pulling the trigger, but boy that feeling of watching the bullet travel through the air, seeing that mirage behind it, and then the plate move, all before you hear it, something else. I also am pretty damn proud of myself for getting any hits past 400 to be totally honest. My goal was to get hits at 600, and I felt like it was a solid stretch for a first time precision shooter. The fact that I nailed 3/5 at 800 blows me away. I guess all those sniper documentaries I watched as a kid paid off. Needless to say I've been thinking about it all day at work.

I did manage to obviously learn a few things.

#1 - I need to become more familiar with my reticle, lots of lines but I've not yet built enough of the understanding to know what they mean without thinking. I think knowing my reticle is going to get me more comfortable with making calls, rather than relying purely on my spotter.

#2 - I'm gonna be spending some more time behind my rifle getting the optic and positioning setup to my liking. I realized, with some help, that the LOP was far too short for my 6'1" gumby like frame. Ordering some additional spacers for the KRG chassis that came with the rifle. I also need to remount the optic I think. I'm gonna start with the chassis, get that settled, then move to the optic mount and adjust as necessary. I was having to crane my neck back a bit which I'm sure didn't help with the few shots I pulled (nor did being as excited as I was).

#3 - Gonna be looking into a class for this summer/fall. Probably rifles only or ridgeline as they both offer classes in my home state. Should give me enough time to at least wear some of my green off and then get some proper training.

#4 - The 90° trigger finger pull is something new. After shooting ARs for close to a decade at distances where that doesn't matter all that much I've realized that I pulled more than one shot from poor trigger finger. This is likely going to be one of the more challenging things to fix as it's the most engrained into me.

Anyway, had a ton of fun, looking forward to the next session!

Got a chance to get out yesterday (Wednesday). Had the time of my life. Started out obviously small at 100 yard to confirm zero. Then moved out to longer distances. 300 - 400 - 500 - 600 - 700 and finally 800 yards. Landed 3 of 5 shots at 800 yards on a roughly 12x12 plate, in roughly the center. I realize I'm not going to win any awards as I "took my time" (and my buddies time) in lining up the shots and pulling the trigger, but boy that feeling of watching the bullet travel through the air, seeing that mirage behind it, and then the plate move, all before you hear it, something else. I also am pretty damn proud of myself for getting any hits past 400 to be totally honest. My goal was to get hits at 600, and I felt like it was a solid stretch for a first time precision shooter. The fact that I nailed 3/5 at 800 blows me away. I guess all those sniper documentaries I watched as a kid paid off. Needless to say I've been thinking about it all day at work.

I did manage to obviously learn a few things.

#1 - I need to become more familiar with my reticle, lots of lines but I've not yet built enough of the understanding to know what they mean without thinking. I think knowing my reticle is going to get me more comfortable with making calls, rather than relying purely on my spotter.

#2 - I'm gonna be spending some more time behind my rifle getting the optic and positioning setup to my liking. I realized, with some help, that the LOP was far too short for my 6'1" gumby like frame. Ordering some additional spacers for the KRG chassis that came with the rifle. I also need to remount the optic I think. I'm gonna start with the chassis, get that settled, then move to the optic mount and adjust as necessary. I was having to crane my neck back a bit which I'm sure didn't help with the few shots I pulled (nor did being as excited as I was).

#3 - Gonna be looking into a class for this summer/fall. Probably rifles only or ridgeline as they both offer classes in my home state. Should give me enough time to at least wear some of my green off and then get some proper training.

#4 - The 90° trigger finger pull is something new. After shooting ARs for close to a decade at distances where that doesn't matter all that much I've realized that I pulled more than one shot from poor trigger finger. This is likely going to be one of the more challenging things to fix as it's the most engrained into me.

Anyway, had a ton of fun, looking forward to the next session!
Where are you able to shoot 800 yards in NH? I know of a couple places, both in the White Mountains, but one is 2.5 hr away and the other is 1.75 hr away. Max I can get on my property is 200, and friend was able to squeeze in a 300 on his. Very hard around here (Claremont/Lebanon area) to find any appropriate terrain to support anything longer.
Your points:
1. yes, definitely
2. that should be a big help
3. If you're anywhere near Exeter, Sig Academy has lots of classes, including, I believe, long range, although I don't know what distances they have. Everyone speaks very highly of all the Sig classes.
Welcome to the Forum!
Brian

Welcome! PRS regional Match next weekend in the Conway NH area if any of you want to scratch the itch a bit more. Targets out to 900ish this time around.

Where are you able to shoot 800 yards in NH? I know of a couple places, both in the White Mountains, but one is 2.5 hr away and the other is 1.75 hr away. Max I can get on my property is 200, and friend was able to squeeze in a 300 on his. Very hard around here (Claremont/Lebanon area) to find any appropriate terrain to support anything longer.
Your points:
1. yes, definitely
2. that should be a big help
3. If you're anywhere near Exeter, Sig Academy has lots of classes, including, I believe, long range, although I don't know what distances they have. Everyone speaks very highly of all the Sig classes.
Welcome to the Forum!
Brian
Alderbrook sportsmen's association in Littleton has a range just under 1200 yard. Agreed that our terrain overall doesn't lend itself to easily finding that kind of shooting.

Ah Alderbrook! Yes, I plan to get up there and check it out and maybe join. They are 1:45 from me, but there's just nothing closer that I know of. Are you a member there? I wanted to ask someone there about rules & procedures for the long range, but their web site lists no phone or email contact, so I guess I will have to write them a letter

Ah Alderbrook! Yes, I plan to get up there and check it out and maybe join. They are 1:45 from me, but there's just nothing closer that I know of. Are you a member there? I wanted to ask someone there about rules & procedures for the long range, but their web site lists no phone or email contact, so I guess I will have to write them a letter
I am not a member there, I went with a buddy. There is also Pelham that has a 600 yard and whatever the range is in nashua/hudson that I think has 1k?

Welcome from SW Montana....
So what's the setup you went with?
I was able to grab a "low round count" HOWA 1500 in 6.5 creedmoor, in a KRG bravo chassis, Vortex razor gen 2 3x18x50 with sunshade, caps, and level, nightforce mount and rings, harris bipod, 1-10 round AI mag, 1-5 round magpul mag, a pelican case and 40 rounds of 6.5. Was able to snag it for $2750. I figure at that price if I love it then I got a steal, if I don't then I should be able to flip it without losing much/any on the deal.

Reactions: Baron23 and Dead