• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy from wester Oregon

Waco

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2013
western Oregon
Hey guys. I'm Waco. New to the long range shooting game.
A little about me.
I'm an avid shooter and handloader for about 15 years now.
I also am very involved with bullet casting. This has been my main shooting enjoyment up untill a few months ago.
Long story short, I had a chance to buy a rifle that was going to be lost in pawn.
I bought a heavy barreled 700 in .308, McMillan fully adjustable stock, Harris bipod, and Leupold VXIII 3.5x10x50 mildot scope, all for $600 :)
I rather quickly stumbled upon a good load(@ 100 yards) for the gun
LC '74 brass
WLR primers
168 SMK
38.5 H4895
COL 2.900" 2460 fps ( slow, I know)
Best five shot group @ 100 yards, .325"
This load will shoot in the .6's all day
Well, we went camping out in central Oregon, high desert, and was able to try my hand at long range shooting for the first time ever. Wow! I'm hooked! I work in a fab shop. I made up some 10 1/2" 3/8" AR400 round plates to hang from saw horses. We started close. 350 then went out to 450, 550, 700, and finally 900 yards!
Things started to get pretty hard for me at 700
I took a while to hit that thing! Even longer to connect at 900
But, eventually(15 shots later) I did hit a 10 1/2" plate at 900 yards!
Needless to say, I was very happy. I was really not expecting to be able to do that my first time out.
Oh yeah, I bought a ballistic calculator app for my iPhone. No way I could have done it without that.
So, I'm kinda hooked on this now. I know my load might not be the best for such distance, but it shot way too good at 100 for me to look any further at the time.
I already see abbreviations and phrases I'm not familiar with, so please bear with the noobie, as I'm sure I'll ask some stupid questions along the way.
So, greetings to you all from the great pacific Northwest!!!!
Waco :)