• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy here...got a couple of ?s

shawn57nomad

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2010
Iowa (God's Country)
Hello all. Excited to be here! Thank you to all who have or are serving for this great country! Well, just bought a Savage MKII BV Laminate stock, heavy barrel at Wal-Fart (I try not to go there)for 275$ should be in next week. So excited, haven't shot since I got out of the SeaBees in 2004. Plz bump me to post if answers are somewhere else in the forum. Looking for a decent scope trying to keep it under 600$ budget. Also need info for scope mounting, bipods available, etc. Thanks for your replies and interest in advance! Shawn

Re: New guy here...got a couple of ?s

well i have a site that deals with making a budget shooter, its a marlin not a savage but you get the picture. HERE

there was also another fellow on the hide that did the same thing HERE

hope this all helps, there is also something great you can use called the search function...just sayin...

I just bought a nikon prostaff 3-9x40 for my 10/22 for $169 at walmart. Mounted it with a weaver tactical rail and weaver 1" Tactical rings. Rings were $30 and the rail was $8 Im very pleased with this scope and so are many others if you read the reviews on walmarts website about it. As for bipods get yourself a pair of harris 6-9" bipods... Hope this helps

Yeah...the search function...killin' me! LOL I will check out the links. Not a lot on the MKII's in 22lr mostly 17trim, thank you all for the direction.

Natchez has 6.6-20x42 AO Sightron for $300. I have two of these and a 6.5x24, all excellent.

So looks like $300 is the scope and ring budget.

Before you scope it up here are a few questions.

How far do you plan on shooting?
Your ammo is .22 Long Rifle? not .17 or .22WMR?
How much magnification are you looking for?

picked up a cheapo bipod today at walfart...hate that place, but anyway got some weaver quadlocks and had looked at a centerpoint scope too 4-16x40 $70. uh looking out to 100yds or so not really looking for cool factor, but good sub $100. got a lot of coons and squirrels in the country here along with badgers that stir up the cattle, etc. gonna put an adjustable cheekrest on it later. not really on a budget per say, just trying to keep the wife happy, we'll see! if she only knew! anything in 3-9x worth looking at? thanks guys

natchez seems to be the place to get good optics at a reasonably good price.

i'm currently running a series of posts for a low budget .22 trainer, perhaps you can pickup some info out of it.

although i didn't include it in the posts yet, as i wanted it to be as low budget as possible, a 20 or 25 moa base would be a good thing to put your optics and rings on top of in the event you want to shoot further than "average". it gives scopes mor adjustment, as they are slightly canted (essentially tilting the scope to gain elevation clicks). EGW and rimfire technologies are about the 2 most popular ones out there, around $40.00.

asking the choice of optics is a can of worms and you'll get about 50 suggestions. depends on what you are trying to accomplish, and the "quality" that you are willing to pay for vs. available options. targets at known distances - i like the target dot. targets at unknown - i like mildots.

i like target turrets, and mid to high magnification, unless using for hunting also, then i like the 4 to 12 or 16x range. it sucks to aim at a squirrel or something 25 yards away, and have a 6-24x scope (you usually can't find it quick enough as your lowest starting power is 6x).

to clear up the image, an adjustable objective is great and side focus is a plus. objective size - bigger objectives = brighter sight picture, more light is funneled in. the draw back is you have to moount your scope higher, which brings eye alignment / cheek weld problems into consideration. adjustable eye relief is nice to sharpen the reticle.

illuminated reticle, do you really need it?

1" or 30 mm tubes - if your going for lightweight - 1".

sunshades - they look cool and add a function of keeping the glare from the sun from "glancing" your view through the optic.

get something with a good warranty. personally, i would stay away from bsa. i had bought three, had to replace three.

i'd say make a list of what options you want vs. what you need for what you are trying to accomplish. then find the scope that has those same options that's within your budget, and it'll narrow down the choices. then order.

that savage you have is pretty accurate, and once you find the ammo that works through that particular rifle (try wolf match or match extra) your going to find out that the better glass you put on top of it, the more enjoyable it will be to shoot it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
sunshades - they look cool and add a function of keeping the glare from the sun from "glancing" your view through the optic.</div></div>

Mine got made fun of
frown.gif

well, you'll be doing the laughing at while shooting west after 3:00 p.m. as you'll actually be able to see what your shooting at.

plus it helps keep debris off the lense in weather.

Top predator, have you figured out how much elevation that centerpoint has? Im thinkin about gettin one

so as not to hijack this thread, i put an almost answer on the other post where you asked. i may have an actual answer tommorrow after some range time.

Got my list and checked it twice! Here is what we have (time and money) and will improve later as I learn more. Parts list: generic bipod 41.97
Weaver rings 10.97
CtrPt 4-16x40 69.97 (pretty nice glass for 70$ & parallax adj)
xtra swivel& stud 9.47
1 1/4 sling 17.97
cable lock 5.27 (got a 3yr old boy & 14mos daughter...)
Savage MKII BV 275.00
TOTAL-------- 430.62

Further down the line I will look to improve upon with some quality US built add-ons. I hope to add an adj cheek piece soon as well and some cant elim's, I am sure I can come up with something on my own to save some dough. VERY PLEASED WITH ALL OF THE RESPONSES AND QUICK TOO. I WOULDN'T HAVE GUESSED A FIREARMS FORUM WOULD BE SO MUCH FUN. THANK YOU TO ALL! THANKS GUYS. I will follow all of your guys' build as close as I can.
PICS SHORTLY TO FOLLOW LATER THIS WEEK...........

don't know the rules in Iowa but a sound moderator, supressor, silencer will make it extra nice to shoot.

If a can is a not go, otherwise subsonic ammo is easy on hearing, no supersonic crack for you and the neighbors.

Plus subsonics are generally more accurate, generally.

Subsonic would be nice, shot some in the past at my brothers acreage in northern iowa. neighbors aren't really concerned bout noise most of them are hard of hearing in the open country here anyway. Ole farmers you know! lots of neighbors around me have guns right by the door when you walk in, must be a convenience factor for killing what ever is tearing into the trash or livestock feed. will try sub's in the new rifle once it arrives. hopefully tomorrow! Getting an itchy finger!!!