• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Guy here - Looking for suggestions

ershepard

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2023
Tennessee
I am just getting into the gas operated DI long range game.
I plan to shoot some steel at 500-800 yards, and I am looking for suggestions on a AR-10 barrel.
I bought a cheap barrel just to get something together. I have an AP 20" 308 barrel/BCG. I am planning on replacing the barrel and BCG if this one turns out to be a dud, so I am flexible with caliber, I went .308 because everything else I have is centered around .308 including my reloading knowledge. I can adapt to something else, I know there are plusses and minus to every caliber.
What is the recommendations of the community on something that will get me into the 1MOA game with this weapon?

If by AP you mean Aero Precision, keep bugging their customer service until you get one that shoots to your satisfaction. If you mean Alex Pro, it actually should shoot. Stay away from Faxon, Aero/Ballistic Advantage, and these days, Criterion, in the future. Yes, some of them shoot, but they can also be rolls of the dice. If you're a gambler, spend less and try a Bear Creek or Diamondback. If you're serious, Proof Research, or literally any of the known spendy companies folks will be along shortly to recommend.

Reactions: ershepard
Yeah, it's an Aero Precision 20" Stainless barrel.
I appreciate your advise. I will see how it shakes out, I have heard Aero has great customer service. I have a few other ar15 builds with their uppers and lowers, and never needed anything from them. I am now to the AR-10 platform, and I should have come here first for advice. Impulsiveness is my middle name, unfortunately.

I'm fairly new also but had picked up a PSA Gen 3 PA65 (6.5 Creedmoor in AR-10 platform) with 20" Stainless Steel barrel. I'm assuming the Aero Precision barrel may be better quality but I've been impressed with my gun so far. The only thing I didn't realize is that this particular gun has dismal velocities to start with but, after break-in of 200-250 rounds, it speeds up substantially. My Velocity has increased ~400 fps during the break-in period; some of this was attributed to dialing back (restricting) the Gas Block since the gun came severely Over-Gassed but most was due to simply Breaking-in the Barrel. Good luck with your Barrel search!

I'm fairly new also but had picked up a PSA Gen 3 PA65 (6.5 Creedmoor in AR-10 platform) with 20" Stainless Steel barrel. I'm assuming the Aero Precision barrel may be better quality but I've been impressed with my gun so far. The only thing I didn't realize is that this particular gun has dismal velocities to start with but, after break-in of 200-250 rounds, it speeds up substantially. My Velocity has increased ~400 fps during the break-in period; some of this was attributed to dialing back (restricting) the Gas Block since the gun came severely Over-Gassed but most was due to simply Breaking-in the Barrel. Good luck with your Barrel search!
I almost took the 6.5 plunge. It is an interesting round, and it maybe feasible for me to make the switch, or at least purchase another upper assembly. Barrel life is something that kind of turned me off to the idea initially.

Reactions: JS8588