• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New guy here

jmtyndall

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2010
Washington
I didn't see an introduction section anywhere, so I figure you either don't want to talk to me or....I could just post here, what seems to be the most appropriate place.

Anyways, I've been considering buying a rifle to get into precision or long range shooting. I have been leaning toward the .30-'06 for the edge it has over .308, however I can't seem to find any factory heavy barrel .30-'06 rifles. Just wondering what others who shoot the '06 are using?

If I don't go .30-'06 I'll start off with a .223 bolt rifle, since I already reload for .223. I know it won't be easy to shoot long range with, but I will be able to shoot out to 600, which is long compared to what I shoot now. But it will be a nice cheap, light recoiling rifle to practice with.

Re: New guy here

Welcome. I don't shoot an "06 but I know that there are some fellas on here that do. I'm sure they will answer up. Enjoy the site. It's a good one.

If I'd have to go custom on a .30-06 I'll just go .223 instead. That's what I started out shopping for. Pretty much between a R700 SPS-T or a Savage 10FP. I know Savage vs Remington is a can of worms, but it really is a hard decision.

Rem is only $10 more and is much smoother, with more long term options to build up on.

However, the Savage is a bit more wobbly in the action, an AMAZING trigger though, and supposedly more accurate out of the box. Plus I can tinker with it myself.

Life and death decision, clearly
laugh.gif

Lots of 30-06 barrels out there, the same ammount as 308 barrels, the differance is the chamber reamer you run though it (unless you are looking for a pre-chambered barrel, but you'll need a reamer anyway to finish the project).

Ref: The 223, if your barrel has the twist that allows for heavy bullets you can shoot 600 yards and beyond.

My 1:7 White Oak Service rifle does well at 600 & 1000 yards.

Get the .223, you already load for it.

Get a fast twist and shoot heavy bullets.

Get ALOT of trigger time whichever you go with.

just my .02
Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of 30-06 barrels out there, the same ammount as 308 barrels, the differance is the chamber reamer you run though it (unless you are looking for a pre-chambered barrel, but you'll need a reamer anyway to finish the project).

Ref: The 223, if your barrel has the twist that allows for heavy bullets you can shoot 600 yards and beyond.

My 1:7 White Oak Service rifle does well at 600 & 1000 yards. </div></div>

I saw that there's many 30 cal blanks out there that can be reamed to .30-06, but I'd prefer to buy a complete rifle to start with, then upgrade things later, rather than building up an action on my first gun.

I have only found 1:9 factory guns in my price range, but when I shoot out the stock barrel I'd be looking for a 1:7" probably 24" barrel to replace it with.

IT IS MANDITORY THAT EVERY MEMBER HAVE A GO-TO .308 !

that is all, carry on, i'll be in the forums for the next 30 minutes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IT IS MANDITORY THAT EVERY MEMBER HAVE A GO-TO .308 !

that is all, carry on, i'll be in the forums for the next 30 minutes </div></div>

I can't find <span style="font-style: italic">manditory</span> in my dictionary. I think that makes the .308 optional?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IT IS MANDITORY THAT EVERY MEMBER HAVE A GO-TO .308 !

that is all, carry on, i'll be in the forums for the next 30 minutes </div></div>

I have a 7.62x54R. That's my .30 cal of choice. I've debated .308, but if I go .308 I'd rather have the option to load it up a little more for close to magnum power, or load it down to .308 range for plinking. Hence .30-06.

i have NEVER seen 7.62x54R at wally world

the salty amoungst us would never get caught without a wallyworld near by to supply the stick with something to shoot