• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy in PA

IamTS

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2013
Philadelphia
New to precision shooting. This site has been a tremendous help in getting started. Thanks!

Tom

I shoot at Lower Providence. Contemplating joining New Holland though. Just a matter of getting over the drive.

I'm from Lansdowne, the other corner of Philly. I shoot a lot in Carlisle, at the PA Game Lands range, because I work out of Carlisle, and have more time there. It's a bit of a bitch though when I'm home and want to try some new loads etc. My problem is trying to find a place that has at least 300 yards. My 338 Lapua doesn't really like less distance than that. I also shoot 30.06, both Rem 700 bolt, and M-1 Garand.

Do you reload? Have you been doing that for a while?
What do you shoot?

I haven't started reloading yet, have been saving brass though. Just got my first bolt gun early January. I'm sure I will start especially since 308 175 gr is real expensive right now. The gun I'm working on now is a Rem 700 tactical AAC-SD with a Vortex HS 6-24. I have an XLR chassis on the way, hope to have that by the weekend.

New Holland is a decent range, goes out to just over 600 yards as well.

Thanks, I'll have to check that out. Sounds like you have a nice rifle going there. I took a Rem 700P and re-barreled it with a 34" barrel, JP Recoil Eliminator, and a NightForce NXS 8-32x56 Zero-Stop. I am now saving for a chassis for it. My gunsmith is making chassis now, and are they ever sweet.

Welcome from another pa guy. I'm in York, so sadly there isn't anything over 300 yds within 2 hours of me.

Welcome from another pa guy. I'm in York, so sadly there isn't anything over 300 yds within 2 hours of me.

New Holland is more than 2 hours away??? Also, how far is it to Lewistown from you? Mifflin County Sportsmans Club has 1250 right now, and I believe they are building a 1500. Cost is only 60/family/year, and can be bought at a sporting store or three around Lewistown. I haven't joined yet, but plan to as soon as I have time to go out there.

In my research for places to shoot, I never heard of new holland. Lewiston if I'm not mistaken is about 2 hours, give or take. That place sounds great though! I'll be researching that soon

In my research for places to shoot, I never heard of new holland. Lewiston if I'm not mistaken is about 2 hours, give or take. That place sounds great though! I'll be researching that soon

New Holland is in Gap, PA, near PA41 and US 30. I don't shoot there. They are about $400 to join, and have initiation classes and all. Only 600yds. Lewistown would be about 1 3/4-2 hours from you, but I think price and range distance makes it attractive. Also, I don't think they host competitions to any large degree, so the schedule would be less likely to constrict you. I can't wait to get out there myself. If I get there first, I'll let you know.

Sounds great! Likewise, if I can get out there soon, I'll report back to you on how it is.

I've shot there a few times in courses. Black hat does a great job with the long range and carbine matches at New Holland. I'm actually signed up for a course at mifflin with them at the end of the month.

IamTS; welcome from a lancaster area shooter! great site, lots of info, and lots of stuff for sale!...............d-1

i shoot at several different locations iamts,new holland is the best range, its about 40 min. from me.for sighting in,i have a few others closer [mount joy and elizabeth town] only 200 yds at those,new holland is 600,w/steel plates!

just a note for sniper uncle and all others; the total fee for new membership at new holland is 375.00 [single member] a little steep, but its a nice range.............d-1

that it is su , its possible they are x-tending the range to 1000 yds in future!

I just signed up at NH yesterday. Orientation on Sunday. 600 yd shooting commencing immediately thereafter.