• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy in TX

08GTCS

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2014
Houston, TX
Figured I should finally make an account after creeping for so long. I'm Stephen, live in Houston, TX. I'm an AR guy mostly but I've recently gotten into precision bolt guns. I've got a 6.5 Creed R700 built by Robert's Precision Rifles in Spring (Bartlein 24" Medium Palma, R700 action, AICS 1.5, Timney trigger, flush cut brake by RPR, Steiner 5-25x56 MSR, Harris bipod, etc), Barrett MRAD in .338 LM with a Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50, Barrett M82A1 in .416 Barrett (not a bolt gun but too awesome not to count) with a Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21x50, and I've got plans for a couple more bolt guns for RPR to build. I've got a collection of ARs but my favorites are by far my precision ones. Got two in 5.56 right now and I'm planning builds for a pair of AR10/SR25 sized billet precision ARs, one in 6.5 Creed and one in .308 Win. Hopefully I'll come across a Nemo OMEN .300WM AR some day and add it to the collection.

Look forward to talking with everyone and hopefully shooting with some of you.

Last edited:
Welcome! Lots of great people here with quick helpful advice. You really jump in the precision bolt action rifle game already fully loaded with great gear! Now with a little practice I predict you'll sell most of your AR stuff and jump into reloading. I find it as much fun as shooting. Good Luck and be safe.

PS-I graduated Bellaire HS in Houston in 1966.

Thanks for the welcome. When I decided to get into precision bolt guns, I definitely wanted to do it right instead of just grabbing a brand new R700 SPS and slapping a Nikon Buckmaster on it. I don't see my ARs going anywhere as I'll always have a soft spot for a tack driving gas gun (especially the ones I've built) but I am considering parting with the M82A1 to fund more bolt guns and glass.

I really do need to get into reloading with my 6.5 Creed and .338LM as I've just been shooting factory ammo up to this point and I know both guns capable of so much more with good handloads. I don't know much about reloading so I'll be spending a good bit of time reading all of the stickied threads in the reloading section. Maybe having a press and spending time dialing in loads will keep me from throwing together more ARs like I usually do in my free time.