• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new guy looking to buy first precision rifle

kdub03

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2011
estill springs tn
i have been reading you guys post for every bit of 2 years now. i have quite a few guns but nothing on the long range precision side.

i am thinking i want a savage 308 1-10 twist with a 26 in. barrel. that being said i have had my eye on this one for a while now:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62_974/products_id/71309[/url]

any better options? if so please post a link and some info as to why?

prefer the savage over the remington as an out the box gun. once i get the basics an to be a decent shot at longer range i will most likely get a remmy 700 in 6.5 cm, 47, 284 or something?

Re: new guy looking to buy first precision rifle

well i was thinking 308 so i could use fgmm ammo until i get all the reloading down to a science ( trimming, run out, concentricity(SP?), better dies, etc.... am i making this to complicated?

eta: thanks for the quick reply an info.... 6.5 cm may be the way to go after quick research....

Don't know what kind of long range shooting your into, but what ever you get suggest it has a detachable mag instead of an internal 5 round mag. I went with the savage 10 fp and am very pleased with out of the box accuracy. But do wish I had gone with a detachable magazine

i figure for now i will try to become decent at around the 600 yd. mark an hopefully move out to the 1000 yd. mark in the future. i just dunno if my reloading skills are good enough to get me good accuracy out to the 1000 yd. thats y i was thinking 308 but i see where there are good factory loads for the 6.5 cm so now i am definately in a debate between the 2. hopefully more ppl will chime in on the subject.... as in caliber an the reloading side also. an any other good gun suggestions?

The great thing about the 6.5 creedmore ammo from harnady is that the recipe is on the box.

With the reloading data on the box.... can the average Reloader load decent ammo or does one need premium dies, concentricity gauges, premium brass (instead of once fired from the range). Basically I don't Wanna get a super accurate rifle that I can't push to its limits due to my reloading skills an the lack of factory ammo? Also I am afraid I am blowing this accuracy thing out of portion with my concerns?

You can swap barrels on a Savage with a couple of hand tools and headspace gauges. One option would be to buy the rifle in .308, shoot it with factory ammunition for starters, and later install a barrel for the 6.5 mm cartridge of your choice if you feel the need. It's going to be quite a while before you're limited by your ammunition.

Check out Southwest Ammunition for excellent ammo at a reasonable price.

—Andreas

Wouldn't it be smarter to buy the 6.5 first? It's got a DBM, "target action", and a lighter accutrigger for only a couple hundred more.

I would go with the 6.5 Creedmoor too.

Hornady ammo is match grade and relatively reasonably priced. Beside having better ballistics and less recoil, there is less variation in factory chambers for 6.5 Creedmoor than 308win. In other words, you will likely be able to just follow the loading recipes on the Hornady box and get great accuracy. I did.

The hornady die sets worked just fine for me. Later, I upgraded to a micrometer redding bullet seater, which gave me better concentricity and allowed me to tinker with seating length, but this is not absolutely necessary.

I agree that 308win is more previlant the 6.5 Creedmoor, more availble components, ammo, etc...but.

Do a search on Bryan Litz and "What's wrong with .30 caliber?"

thanks for all the help! i guess with hornady loading for the 6.5cm at the same price point as the fgmm i might as well go for the 6.5cm! now i just got to get the wife on the new gun wagon which usually isnt to hard!

any more input is welcome as i want to learn as much as possible!!!!

I also agree going 6.5CM to start is the best idea. The factory ammo is capable of 1/2 MOA. My Bartlein barreled Creedmoor was a laser and although this isn't a custom barrel, I'm sure you will still see a lot more accuracy out of the rifle than you are capable of utilizing for quite some time. Pick this gun up, buy some ammo, and work on your reloading skills and compare your loads to the factory ammo and once you can't see a difference in the two, then your doing it right.

Go for a 20 MOA base. Make sure it's steel and you should be fine.

ok so it is the round short action correct? sorry for all the dumb questions....new to this precision stuff. always been into the ar15s an 10/22s. dont know jack about bolt guns.... also where is a good place to get ballistics chart with 200 yd zero?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kdub03</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would this be a good scope mount? any others that are cheaper that would work?

[url="http://www.murphyprecision.com/Products/Item/1002"]http://www.murphyprecision.com/Products/Item/1002[/url] </div></div>

Murphy makes great stuff. I'm ordering from them here very soon. The new model 10's should all be round actions unless I'm wrong somebody can correct me.

Mine is a model 12 target action. Which Ken ferrel mount? Or is this one just as good?

ROUND SHORT ACTION! thats all you need to know