• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy, New plans, thoughts?

water_au

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2018
all in all i figured being new and wanting to ask dumb things and solicit opinions and thoughts about my planned build which is underway i thought this fitted in here alert me if im in error, i have read heaps of stuff some good some bad so wanted some thoughts on my end game planned build for PRS and just a fun thing that i wanted to shoot etc. the club im looking to join shoots only single shot target peep sights or F class so hesitant on getting their advice to some extent.

the range ill mainly be shooting at is 700yds max andit is the longest range i've found within a reasonable distance of me for practice etc

so the rifle i am getting, Howa KRG bravo, in 6.5 creedmore 1 in 8 twist unsure if its a 24 or 26" barrel im suspecting its 24? ( the guy pulled out a ruler in shop and it came out at 25 but its not offered in that sooo im a little weirded out by that) should i be panicking over a 24 inch barrel vs a 26 inch barrel? and the minor difference in muzzle velocity or am i just paranoid over a minor detail?

for a bit of reference i chose the 6.5CM for better BC, less recoil, i wont be reloading for a little while so i will be using mainly factory ammo and am a new shooter to this sport and fairly new in general so for ammo availability and ease of use i found this cartridge suited my needs fairly well while giving me good ability when i visit a range that has 1000yrs plus to have a go.

planning to put a generic 20 MOA rail onto with.... generic rings i guess? maybe burris or NF rings, hear good things about NF.

for glass i'm leaning toward the Burris XTR II with an SCR reticle in MIL/MIL, lifetime warranty no questions asked, the PRS down here has a rule of factory rifle with glass must be under 5K local money for that specific class so i like this build for that class and budget i suppose i have some wiggle room and could drop an extra grand on a nightforce atacr?

all in all am i missing anything vital (bipod i know i will probably go with whatever the rifle shop has on hand) but aside from that, am i worrying to much about barrel length etc, any advice on the optics? any questions i can answer i might have missed?

im new, be kind, i did post this is the dumb questions section :) have a good day all!

Cheers, Jo.

Reactions: SporterII
24" or 26" will be fine for your 6.5 Creedmoor, you won't notice a big difference between the two.

I would suggest that you get good decent rings or a 1 piece mount (such as the Sphur or ERA-TAC), they make a big difference in ensuring everything is solid & repeatable.

Reactions: water_au
I think you have a solid plan moving forward. I would opt for machined rings of some brand though, skimping here never works.
This may not make much sense, but buy quality enough glass and or rifle that it will suffice for a backup system if you do choose to upgrade in the future. Selling used gear has never paid off for me, but I tend to eat some costs so others can try stuff w/o going in debt.
Most of us have spent a fortune finding what works or like, it's vicious cycle, and getting things right takes time, until something shiny comes along and it starts over. Other than paint schemes, all my LR rifles are virtually identical builds, it took time and money.

I would say that the approach you're planning is sound; although for my own purposes, I would start simpler, with a decent heavy barreled factory rifle, good factory ammo (Hornady 6.5CM), and as good a set of optics and mounts as you can afford (without causing you the have to delay your getting out and shooting in order to afford it).

The build could then be held off until you have some accuracy and experience under the belt, saving the more precision equipment from the wear and tear associated with getting up to speed. You'll still have a use for the basic setup, as a practice workhorse that spares the thoroughbred from undue bore wear.

I prefer Savage rifles, some don't, with Varmint or Law Enforcement intent in the designs.

Greg

Reactions: supercorndogs
yeah Greg i plan to do alot of training on a 22 and a slug gun to get a bit more upto speed im aware of the limitations on the main setup but i will be getting proper training/coaching first to before i develop the bad habits people speak of :)i managaed to find someone local who is a PRS competitior that also trains people so im hoping to get to that after christmas!

Cheers, Jo.

Reactions: supercorndogs
Coupla things.

Concentrating on Basics is busy enough without also adding recoil. Keep your trainer chambering mild.

Mine is 223, mainly not 22lr because I can handload and take some of the inaccuracy out of the equation that way (I hate being at the mercy of an ammo manufacturer who may not even live on the same continent as I do, and good rimfire ammo involves extra cost, taking some of the rimfire advantage out of the training cost equation).

My most recent competition before retiring was F T/R Midrange 600yd, and I shot my 223 trainer in that comp. Trainers can also be repurposed, my trainer also doubles as a Varmint Rifle.

Once upon a time, I was a trainer and team organizer myself (1990's NJ Marine Corps League State Competitive Shooting Chairman), and stressed a pairs approach to training/coaching. When a training class is over, it's over; but a pair of participants can repeat the process over and over on their own.

I still try to find and work with a shooting partner to this day; the partner can see different things from what you're concentrating on, and this helps a lot.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: water_au
Coupla things.

Concentrating on Basics is busy enough without also adding recoil. Keep your trainer chambering mild.

Mine is 223, mainly not 22lr because I can handload and take some of the inaccuracy out of the equation that way (I hate being at the mercy of an ammo manufacturer who may not even live on the same continent as I do, and good rimfire ammo involves extra cost, taking some of the rimfire advantage out of the training cost equation).

My most recent competition before retiring was F T/R Midrange 600yd, and I shot my 223 trainer in that comp. Trainers can also be repurposed, my trainer also doubles as a Varmint Rifle.

Once upon a time, I was a trainer and team organizer myself (1990's NJ Marine Corps League State Competitive Shooting Chairman), and stressed a pairs approach to training/coaching. When a training class is over, it's over; but a pair of participants can repeat the process over and over on their own.

I still try to find and work with a shooting partner to this day; the partner can see different things from what you're concentrating on, and this helps a lot.

Greg

Yeah i made a post in the meetup section? Seeing if incould find anyone local to train with i think thats a really good approach so i might try and drag a mate into yhis or meet people ay matches etc i will think about a more reloadable and accurate trainer aswell but i wont be reloading for a while so i didnt put that in as a factor so ill add that in for the future for sure ?