• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Guy, pics of my current rig

calling4life

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2011
MN, United States
Been around this site for a while, never got myself a name, I'm on many other sites, so I figured with my upcoming entry into competition shooting, this is a good place to hang around. Gotta show a gun when you join... right
blush.gif

Here is what my rig was, Savage model 10fcp with choate tactical stock, skim bedded as well. Bushnell 6500 4.5-30x50, it is a 308 and I'm running Federal Gold Medal 168grainers. 26" barrel

Sent the scope back, will be getting a new one before too long here, thinking sightron SIII 8-32x56 mildot
Some 100 yard targets, using harris 6-9brm bipod with my fist as a back rest.
100yard3shot.jpg

4shot100.jpg

The group is 4 shots, one on 24x, one on 16x, 10x and 4.5x. Outside shots were the first shots after getting it back from the smith, and my last shots to check tracking after shooting at 400yds.
4zoom100yd.jpg

Here is a 4 shot 200yd group, my first time ever shooting prone off a bipod, the same harris, again I use my fist for a back rest.
4shot200.jpg

Same group with a tape up to show the furthest gap
WP_000092.jpg

400 yards, 3 or 4 shot group, cannot remember, spread is about 1 1/2" though. One above the tip of my thumb and I believe 3 stacked above my knuckle.
WP_000026.jpg

Re: New Guy, pics of my current rig

Welcome to the Hide!! It's great to see another nice Savage rig around here!! Good shooting... read all the posting rules, just to be on the safe side.

DK

I did read the rules, multiple times, did I still manage to screw something up???

I'm new to rifle shooting, I love the fit and feel of this stock, even with some considering choate a joke, I couldn't pass it up, it just fit me and I love it. The bedding tightened up groups a little and these match grade bullets definitely shoot better than the few hunting rounds I've thrown down it.

This rig is actually my f-class(600yd) and coyote hunting rig, as it is all I got right now. So I lug this heavy monster around stand to stand, but I wouldn't have it any other way, she hits her mark. Plus, trigger time is never a bad thing... right

I'm mulling around the scope choice now, as the 6500 is back at Bushnell. I've read a lot of extremely positive reviews on The Sightron SIIIs, including website comparison reviews. (as opposed to just user reviews, "my tasco beats my $2100 Nightforce," gets a little old)

Very nice, always good to see another Savage, especially one that shoots so well.

Good luck,
Merritt

Not trying to bust your chops or nothing, but the picture posting is somewhat sticky around here at times. Don't EVER post any 3-shot groups, don't EVER post steel that has been blasted by several shots. I got called out on that one as well.

Like I said, not trying to bust your chops, just trying to help make your stay here a pleasant one...

Gotta love them Savages!!

DK

I can't help how many hits our steel has seen, and some take the liberty to use calibers and bullets not allowed, because rules apparently don't apply to them...

Thanks for the heads up and advice, I don't do much in the way of 5 shot groups, I get too nervous(read excited) when I see bullets touching, I end up psyching myself out and pulling shots. It is also, in part, why I am liking shooting at longer distances.

I'm working on it though, controlled breathing, squeeze, loading the bipod etc... With practice it will tighten up

I need to get going on a logbook as well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to bust your chops or nothing, but the picture posting is somewhat sticky around here at times. Don't EVER post any 3-shot groups, don't EVER post steel that has been blasted by several shots. I got called out on that one as well.

Like I said, not trying to bust your chops, just trying to help make your stay here a pleasant one...

Gotta love them Savages!!

DK </div></div>

I'm new here too and this is a little off topic but why no 3-shot group photos or photos of steel? Not trying to be a thread pirate or anything, just curious. I don't want to make the same 'mistake'.

I think what they want is better proof... guys like 5 shot groups, and maybe new paint on the steel would make it a more valuable indicator of how a guy shot.(though this isn't my steel to paint)

I'm not here selling anything, or trying to push that I'm some world class shooter though. I posted the pics because normally I get a response of, "hey, lets see some pics of the rig and what she can do," when I claim I'm a hunter/shooter.

Just downloaded that computer program per a recommendation, don't even know if I'm using it correctly, so if guys wish to discredit/disregard the groups, that is perfectly fine.

Overall it seems to be a trust issue, with all the claims of shooting dime sized groups all day long, I can hit a golf ball at a grand... yada yada. The higher class shooters like to push stricter guidelines to know if they should waste their time responding to the individual posting. 3 shot groups and a metal target that has old as well as new hits doesn't seem to cut it. Claims without pics are worthless as well(I believe this as well)

That is just my best guess at it anyway, though I've heard, 3 shot groups tell you what the gun can do, 5 shot tell you what the shooter can do...
confused.gif

Who knows, I'm not here to ruffle feathers, just to learn and grow as a shooter.

I did go with the Sightron SIII 8-32x56
Here are a couple groups with the new setup, the 200 yard 5 shot group has an obvious pulled shot.
<5mph wind at my back, 168gr fed gold medal, harris 6-9brm bipod up front, hand for a back rest, off a bench.
200 yards
5shot200.jpg

300 yards
300yard5shot.jpg