• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new guy question about Remington 700s

enkry

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2010
KY US
Im a new guy when it comes to bolt guns. I know a shitload about ARs and pistols but I've since given up trying to make ARs shoot as accurate as bolt guns so I wanna start going after extreme accuracy. I'll more than likely go all out once I learn more about precision shooting but I need something to learn on.

I've been looking at the Remington 700 SPS tactical because its inexpensive and has good reviews, I'll change out the stock for a Bell & Carlson or Mcmillan stock with an Adjustable Comb and have my buddy glass bed it. I'd like to get something I can build on down the road if necessary.

My friend says Savages are easy to swap barrels out of if I ever want to change calibers. What are your thoughts on Savage Rifles? I know their accurate because I've shot some .25 moa groups with one. I've been looking at a Savage 10FCP LE .

I'll more thank likely put an IOR 3-18x42 FFP scope on whatever rifle I choose.

Is the Remington 700 Target Tactical rifle a joke or is it the real deal? Can you put regular shaped barrels on that thing? Are you better off with a rem. 700 5R?

Any information you guys can help me with is greatly appreciated.

Re: new guy question about Remington 700s

I have a Remington varmint with factory 26inch barrel bedded in a McMillan HTG. Shoots .250 MOA at 100 yards with 175gr SMK over 40.5gr H4895 with a OAL of 2.815. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. I like the 700 action over the Savage. For that price on the Savage also look at the Rem 700 LTR.

Hope this helped.

The remington 700 SPS is a great rifle for the price.

I wouldnt bother with the Target Tactical unless you plan on keeping her the way she is straight from the box.

A local Aussie gun magazine recently had a review on this rifle and it had some ok groups but nothing i would go and rave on about. It deffinately likes hand loads. Out here in australia that target rifle is about $4500 AU, which is close to Sako TRG22 prices, and i would take the sako trg over a remington 700 any day.

If it were me, I would save my cash and buy the SPS and order a McMillan A5 or an AICS... By the time either of those stocks arrive you would have had ample time to shoot the living crap out of your gun and devise any hand loads.

If extreme accuracy is what your after you will deffinately want to hand load rounds to suit your rifle. Thats pretty much a must.

hand loading for sure!! thanks for the information guys. Would the 700 pss give me anything over the SPS tactical other than a longer barrel?

A arguable better triger (GAP and others tune the x-mark with great success) and a metel finish and HS Presision stock. Otherwise its the exact same gun. It really depends on wether you plan or replacing those parts soon or not. I personaly don't care for traditional type stocks so I went SPS-T and swaped the stock out. As most of the reviews you've read i'm sure say, they're shooters.

+1 on the PSS. I've owned one for some time now and I really like it. It was affordable (relatively) and shot great right out of the box. With the right ammo (+1 on handloading, or Fed GMM if you've a bottomless budget), and when I treat it right, I rather consistently get .5 MOA or less 5 shot groups at 200 meters. If it misses, it's my fault. It's also, like any 700, very easy to expand as your interest and budget grow.

Just recently switched out the stock to an AICS and that's turned out to be a great move. This wasn't an essential upgrade, just something that I wanted to do. It now seems much less front-heavy which helps with improvised shooting positions, and it's rock solid in supported positions. Not to mention other benefits like magazine feed and adjustable comb.

i really like the KMW stock but I cant afford that. I might go with a Manners T5a. I also like the AICS 1.5 but its a little too expensive. I still have a lot of research to do. I like the SPS tactical but I want to get the best bang for the buck so I'm going to keep reading and asking questions. I really wish I could shoot some of the guns I'm considering.

just purchased the sps tactical and put it in a McMillan A1-3. Love it. It's a shooter.

because I'm going to change the stock would I be better off buying a barreled action for $600 instead of a whole rifle? I'm wondering if I can get a little bit better action if I forego the whole rifle? Thoughts?

I wish I could afford the KMW stock, that thing looks comfy!!!

The action will be the same.
I have an SPS in .223, it is a very good shooter, but does not better than my Dads FP10 in .223.

Check out the PC10 from Savage, excellent trigger that is far easier to adjust than the Remington trigger, good barrel, decent stock (you will need a stock pack) they are absolute tack drivers.