• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Guy: R78 hunting rifle build-up & Range Report

MrDrift

Private
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2009
SE Michigan
Hey guys. I just got my first serious (to me anyway) rifle! I picked up a Remington Model 78 30-06 from an extended family member for pocket change. Some where down the line from new, it got a Ram-Line synthetic R700 ADL stock. I got it with a Bushnell 4x38 scope and Ironsighter rings. I picked up a sling and a cartridge carrier. I also got a set of one piece scope rings and took off the iron sights. Took it up to Gander to have it boresighted (I know I can do it myself, but I wanted the Gunsmith to cheak it out anyway), and in the process found that they had a Kwik Klip drop mag conversion on clearance. So I picked that and some scope caps up. Got a R700 SPS stock on ebay for cheap. I'm impressed as to the stoutness of the synthetic stock. The Ram-Line one that was on there was much lighter and cheaper feeling. Has the Limbsaver recoil pad as well. Hell the pad alone is worth as much money as I spent on the whole stock! The Kwik Klip fit outstanding in the stock, almost too perfect. It only took one shim under the front screw to keep the bolt from rubbing on the mag. Everything went together like it was factory! I racked a full clip through to make sure it would feed and no issues to report. I can't wait to get this thing to the range and get it zeroed in! All I really would like to do in the near future is get a better scope, but I think that I'll at least put some holes in paper first and see how it goes. Let me know what you guys think. I know I'm just beginning, so I probably made a bunch of stupid mistakes, but I'll learn eventually.

As I got it (Minus the sling):

3679204990_30116ec73e.jpg

3678393571_a91d9a72fa.jpg

As it sits now:

3679091044_05ded9738e.jpg

Drop Mag:

3678274501_b4d008a9c7.jpg

Re: New Guy: R78 hunting rifle build-up

Thanks for the welcome! I forgot to mention that the barrel is floated.

Always happy to have someone new into shooting sports. Welcome to the Hide!! Read, search and listen and you will learn an abundance of information.

Get out and shoot it. If you don't already reload, start. Shoot it like it is and get to know the rifle. As your skills improve, then start improving the rifle. There is no substitute for rounds sent downrange though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get out and shoot it. If you don't already reload, start. Shoot it like it is and get to know the rifle. As your skills improve, then start improving the rifle. There is no substitute for rounds sent downrange though. </div></div>

Yep, I've shot hundreds of rounds through my .22 and am comfortable with that gun, but this one is a bit different! ;-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks much better now!

Steve </div></div>

It does, doesn't it. It sure looked dated before. It looks just like a brand new R700 and at 1/2 the price!

Welcome to the Hide! Congrats on the rifle.

Going to the range this weekend to zero it in. I picked up a couple of boxes of ammo. Going to try Core-Lokt 150gr and Fusion 165gr. I'm thinking I'll pick up some Hornady 165gr as well.

So I took it to the range. Either I flinch badly, or my scope is jumping out of adjustment, because I had some erratic results. To rule out the scope I picked up a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40. Headed back to the range this weekend. Hopefully it goes better.

Range report!

All righty. I went to the range again today. I spent all yesterday working on my breathing, and doing some dry firing. It payed off!

3756790288_ee9867d950.jpg

3756791420_e850e18a30.jpg

The highest shot was first and just from the bore sight. The one on the left was the final sight in shot and I flinched pretty good. The rest are the best I could muster. It's ten shots at 100 yards. Not to shabby! Definitely "Deer MOA".

Re: Range report!

It's more than ok for a factory rifle with factory ammunition for a rifle of that age keep on practicing both dry and live shooting and you'll be good in no time as other members wrote here do your searches on the forum read and learn and I am sure you'll find the shooting sports to be very interesting and challenging,
Your rifle looks great and I think you had a great deal on it after you'll get more experienced maybe you would like to change things on it according to your own taste and style and I am sure that this rifle will be a very good platform .
Good luck

I thought I did rather well for my second time shooting a high powered rifle. It's probably even more capable with something other than core-lokt and a more experienced shooter. It out shoots me right now
smile.gif

Well, I gave it a trigger job the other day. I always thought of my trigger as heavy. My buddy was like "Oh, mine is heavy too, but I wouldn't change it, it'd be a hair trigger." Well he got a chance to feel mine the other day and said that he didn't realize how light his was until he tried mine. Upon further inspection, his was set to 3 pounds. So I set mine at three and called it a day. I didn't adjust the creep or the over travel as I felt that they were about non-existent as it was, and why mess with a good thing. I read about people having trouble getting the screws to move. Mine didn't even have sealant as it's been described. Mine was closer to wax. Came loose no problem. Got it adjusted, almost exactly one full turn. It got three coats of the brightest nail polish on it I could locate in my wife's stuff, while she was still sleeping
wink.gif
. I ran the typical checks on it and it passed. Can't wait to go to the range again and try out the new pull. Should feel even better.