• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report New guy range report: Remington 5R .308, pic's

matt33

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2009
Bradford/Susquehanna Co, PA
While I’ve been shooting AR’s, hunting rifles, shotguns and pistols for a while, I’m new to precision shooting. For the last few months I’ve been piecing together my first long range precision rig. The rifle is a Remington .308 5R. My initial impression was very favorable. The stock is very nice and the stainless steel is bead blasted to an even matte finish. At some point, I’d like to have the metal coated black. I also adjusted the X-Mark trigger to a crisp 2 lbs 12 oz.

For an optic I choose a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm with a TMR reticle. A few weeks ago, I went to my local Nightforce dealer with the full intention of selecting a reticle and placing an order for a 5.5-22x NXS. I realize I’m in the minority, but I actually felt like the MK4 was a better fit for my needs. I recognize that the NF is a more robust optic, but the MK4 was actually as clear if not a little clearer to my eye. I also liked the TMR reticle more than any of the NF reticles. All of the above goes against all of my online research, but nonetheless, I’m really impressed with the Leupold. I mounted the scope using Seekins rings/base from Liberty Optics. They are also very impressive.

I’m still trying to wipe the smile off my face from my range trip earlier this afternoon. I handloaded several rounds of 175 gr SMK’s using Lapua brass, Varget powder, and CCI BR2’s. COL was set at 2.80". I started at 42.6 gr and went all the way up to 44.6 in .2 gr increments. All shooting was done at 100 yards. While most of the lighter groups were slightly under 1 MOA, things really started to tighten as the powder charge increased. I found my rifle’s sweet spot at 44.2 grains. Velocity was exactly what I wanted at 2,651 FPS (31 ES, 11 SD). I fired a total of four 5 round groups with this load, .529”, .842”, .524”, .886” for an average of .695”. These are great groups for me and I included two flyers in the larger groups which I know were my fault. I believe with a little more tuning and lots more practice, I’ll flirt with .5 MOA regularly (at least from a bench).

In the near future, I’m planning on joining a club in Williamsport that has a beautiful 600 and 1,000 yard range. In the mean time, I’m going to clear some brush near my pond and hopefully get 300 yards behind my house. I took some photos of today’s trip and attached below (taken with an old school POS camera). Feel free to offer any advice or constructive criticism. Like I said, I’m new to precision rifles, but I think I just started a new lifelong addiction.

P1030477.jpg

P1030482.jpg

P1030483.jpg

P1030486.jpg

P1030485.jpg

Re: New guy range report: Remington 5R .308, pic's

Sweet! I have almost the exact same setup, except I went with the 4.5-14 instead of the 6.5-20. I'll be heading to to range with it as soon I get the scope mounted - hope it goes as well your session did. Did you try any factory ammo?
I like the scope too, and think the glass on mine looks great. I like the open center on the TMR and overall it looks easy to read. Now if it just had .1 mil adjustments...
Congrats on a nice rifle - I am already trying to figure out how I want to paint my 5r.
BTW I didnt like the stock at first but now it is really growing on me. I thought it a little strange offhand, seemed to put my trigger finger too far forward. Realized I was using an AR type hold with elbows in a little too much -wont be shooting offhand without a sling much anyway. From prone it is great and now I really like it-dry firing is really helping me get a feel for this stock. I have heard complaints about the xmark trigger but mine is great so far - maybe these are inconsistent and I got lucky.
Thanks for the report - keep em coming!

KY,
I did not try factory ammo. The only box of Federal GM I could find locally was $49.99. I about shit when I saw that. I've got a fair amount of experience handloading for my AR's and hunting guns. Handloading allows me to use the bullet I want driven at the velocity I want. I'm also planning to try some Lapua 155 Scenar's.

As you suggest, the open center of the TMR is really nice. My X-Mark trigger is breaking in nicely, and the stock has really grown on me too. Please post some pic's once you get her painted, I'm looking for some ideas.

I am very satisfied with mine. As far as the Xmark goes, good luck. I also got mine down to 2 lbs for about 100 rds then it started to increase in pull weight. I re-adjusted and could not get it to safety check at the same weight of pull. I replaced it with a tuned old style. You can see the other mods I have done in the threads below. I have been shooting 168gr FGMM and some handloads of 168 SMK, Fed. Brass, CCI primers. I started with 42gr of varget and stepped it up to 46gr. I was not so much looking for tighter grouping as I was looking for a round that would shoot to same POI as FGMM which ended up being 46gr. I did find that the best groups came from the 44-44.8gr rounds. I am no ballistic guru but shooting through my chrony FGMM avg. 2690fps and the 46gr Varget avg. 2820 but at 100yds they shoot same POI, maybe someone else can explain this.
I decided to bed and add weight due to the fact I was experiencing a shifting cold bore.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...789#Post1100789

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...575#Post1132575

how much is your cold bore off? on my 5-r it's always a little high around 3/4 inch.

The same about 1 moa high.
After coating the action/barrel and glass bedding I have not had this problem again. The past three cold bores have all been zero and then my follow up shots only climb about 1/4 moa, that is when I do my part and don't finger diddle the trigger.

This might sound silly, but have you lased the targets to verify they're actually at 100yrds? I know it's hard to judge from just a picture, but they look farther away than that to me. Nice rifle though, I think everyone gets one with the plans of having the barrel coated black.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This might sound silly, but have you lased the targets to verify they're actually at 100yrds? I know it's hard to judge from just a picture, but they look farther away than that to me. Nice rifle though, I think everyone gets one with the plans of having the barrel coated black. </div></div>
It's funny you say that, I too thought the target was a bit further than 100 yards. I don't have a laser rangefinder, but I paced it off and it was 110 of my paces (I'm 5'11"). This is a small local range, the club owner assured me it was 100 yards exactly. The picture through the scope is a poor shot, it makes the crosshairs look canted, but it was actually the camera that was tilted coupled with the fact that the backstop isn't square.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It's funny you say that, I too thought the target was a bit further than 100 yards. I don't have a laser rangefinder, but I paced it off and it was 110 of my paces (I'm 5'11"). This is a small local range, the club owner assured me it was 100 yards exactly. The picture through the scope is a poor shot, it makes the crosshairs look canted, but it was actually the camera that was tilted coupled with the fact that the backstop isn't square. </div></div>

Looking at the pictures again, I'm nearly positive that's farther than 100yrds. Looks like a greater distance than my local range and it only stops at 118-120yrds. Oh well, if you ever happen to see someone with a rangefinder out there, ask'em and let me know.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It's funny you say that, I too thought the target was a bit further than 100 yards. I don't have a laser rangefinder, but I paced it off and it was 110 of my paces (I'm 5'11"). This is a small local range, the club owner assured me it was 100 yards exactly. The picture through the scope is a poor shot, it makes the crosshairs look canted, but it was actually the camera that was tilted coupled with the fact that the backstop isn't square. </div></div>

Looking at the pictures again, I'm nearly positive that's farther than 100yrds. Looks like a greater distance than my local range and it only stops at 118-120yrds. Oh well, <span style="color: #FF0000">if you ever happen to see someone with a rangefinder out there</span>, ask'em and let me know.
grin.gif
</div></div>

That's a good one. I think I'm the first guy ever the bring on optic larger than a 3-9x and a rifle other than a 30-30 to this range. I normally shoot at my house, but I figured I pay the $55 for a 2 year membership and have a nice covered bench to shoot from. I've never seen anyone else at this range, ever. I do live in a very rural area and I think most everyone here shoots on their own property.

good shooting with your 5r!glad to see you found the right load for it.The milspec 5r is one of the most superb out of the box rifle out there.congrats on your rifle and scope set up!