• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy seeking direction

gtriever

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2009
Western KY
Happy to be here. I've been lurking at the Hide for several months (even before joining), searching and trying to learn. I'm an old pistolero from way back, but age and cataract surgery mean that I can't see the bloomin' sights on the pistol any more. So, looks like to keep getting my shooting fix I need to concentrate on long guns.

I currently have rifles in .22lr, .223 (AR15), and 7.62/.308 (FR-7 bolt carbine and Armalite AR10A4). That was good on the old range where I shot, which was limited to 100 yds. The new range I belong to now is good out to 600 yds., and I <span style="font-style: italic">really </span>like shooting the .308 Win. So I need some direction:

Since I can only do <span style="text-decoration: underline">one</span> of these options at this time, in your opinion do I spend money upgrading the AR10 with a freefloat tube, match trigger and better barrel, or should I be looking at a new bolt gun build with a Rem 700 or Savage 10FP?

Re: New guy seeking direction

In my opinion, if you have the means, get the bolt gun. More than likely it will out-perform the AR-10 and will be easier to drive. I would much rather shoot a bolt-action rifle than a gas gun, and I have M1A's and AR's. The enjoyment I get from a bolt gun cannot be matched (by guns). Plus, it's always better to have more guns, so anytime you can come up with a new "need", that's always good. Hope this helps.

By the way, have you tried USPSA open division pistol competitions - it allows the use of red-dot optical sights. Might be a way to keep shooting pistol too?

I'd have to agree with J-Ham and recomend going with the bolt action. I have several gas guns as well, but when it comes to putting lead way down range, nothing quite performs like a bolt. It would also be a good opportunity to add some more firepower to your arsenal. Since you have the .308 covered, you might want to look into something that makes a bigger bang and shoots a little flatter. 300 and 7mm magnums are my personal favs. Happy shooting!

FWIW...I started with a Rem700p .308 and Leupold glass...factory ammo Federal 175gr bthp...and read the Hide as much as possible LOL...it was relatively cheap <$2000, offered an infinite amouont of opportunities for improvement and learning...now that I have the basics down I am looking into upgrading and handloads...I may be hooked

Good luck with the rig you decide upon

Thanks for the replies, guys. Looks like a bolt gun is the general consensus, from both the replies here and on most of the threads I've searched. Actually, my original intent back in '08 was a Savage 10FP build. I saw and bought the AR10 partly as a big F-you to all the 'gun-grab-ban-assault-weapons' hysteria that was going on at the time, plus I'd heard good things about big-bore ARs and wanted to try one.

I agree with J-Ham and adm845 and I've always heard that a bolt rifle is the way to go for placing a precision shot at long ranges. Maybe I'll go with 'Plan B' to save some bucks initially; move the bipod and big scope to the new build, move the 1-4.5 x 24mm from the AR15 to the AR10, and go back to irons or an Aimpoint on the AR15.

So, next question: Savage 10FP with HS Precision or McMillan stock, or buy the basic 10FP and have a new stock installed and bedded? Keeping in mind that this is going to be a learning tool, of course.

(JPT, no red dots on pistolas for me, thanks anyway. For pistols I shoot with what I carry...)

I would second that and go with the rem 700. You just can not match the accuracy against the AR 10

+1 for remington. The 700p is hard to beat for the $.

Well, as usual, I guess I'll go against the grain. That AR10A4 can be made into a lazer for quite a bit less than buying a custom built bolt gun that will out shoot it....and with AR style rifles, the bolt gun out shooting it is a maybee. By a good smith, AR10's can be made to be very accurate rifles. My AR10T (factory) can kill any man sized target in one shot at the 600 yard range you mentioned and that statement really dos'nt do it justice, its capable of much much better than that. Dont think I need to list the attributes of a bolt gun but when it comes to the need of an accurate follow up shot, they just cant compete with an auto loader. Get hold of someone like GAP or Randy (Hateca) and see what they can do for you price wise. Guess you can tell, I'm a big AR10 fan.
smile.gif

okie

I would upgrade my AR10 if it were me..

I couldn't go out and buy another gun I'd have to upgrade later when I had one sitting right there that needed tuning..YMMV

I am surprised that we have gotten this many replies, without the obvious answer - BOTH!!!

Seriously, both have their places, and are fun, why not upgrade the AR, there is a 10T upper for sale here now, AND get a 300WM bolt gun?

You'll probably be looking for a 50 or a 338 later, that is always a good choice to have to make too.

I'm going against the grain in another way.....I like Savage.
There is so much you can do yourself with the Savage ....barrel swap is a snap.....and for out of the box accuracy, they're hard to beat.

Pop

700 or Savage you cant go wrong. You can pick up a McMillan (on their specials page or here at the Hide)or AICS (for 700)stock pretty easily.
CC

SniperCountryPX has the Remington 700SS R5 Milspec in stock. I got one a month or so ago. It came out of the box and shot .2 moa groups at 100 with hand loads. I am taking it apart and beefing it up. I highly recommend it to anybody...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mikee B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am surprised that we have gotten this many replies, without the obvious answer - BOTH!!!</div></div>

Maybe it's because in my original post I said <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTriever</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Since I can only do <span style="text-decoration: underline">one</span> of these options at this time...</div></div>
grin.gif
grin.gif

Mebbe I should just buy a 25 or 30MOA base for the Savage MkII BTV and try to shoot rimfire at 100 to 200 while I make up my mind... the trigger time would do me good.
wink.gif