• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes New guy, very new, with questions

nevada

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2011
Hi all,

I just picked up my first tactical bolt gun. Its the Remington SPS Tactical AAC-SD. My plan to eventually build it into a high end shooter. A friend of mine is setting me up with a Millet scope. i know next to nothing about optics. He said to pick up a quality base to mount the scope on and that is my first question. one of many i am sure! I could use some education on what would be a good choice. i thought a base was just a base but there seems to be different variants as far as MOA cant? What is the advantage of having a different cant?

please forgive me if my question does not make sense lol.

Re: New guy, very new, with questions

A base with zero cant will leave your scope dead center of it's internal elevation (in a perfect world). While a base with 20 MOA will give you an additional 20 MOA of "up" elevation.

It is useful if your scope has a limited adjustment or your trying to shoot extremely long range.

0 cant base + 60 MOA/2 = 30 MOA up

20 MOA base + (60 MOA/2) = 50 MOA up

30 MOA base + (60/2) = 60 MOA, and so on.

Generally, a 20 MOA base will work for most scopes, unless it has extremely limited internal travel, say 40 MOA. In which case, you wont be able to achieve zero because you have no more down adjustment available.

If your scope doesn't have enough adjustment to shoot long range then the canted base will give you more adjustment.

Example: If your scope has 60 MOA of adjustment then thats 30 MOA up and 30 MOA down. With a 20 MOA base it will move your zero down 20 MOAs where you have 10 MOAs left for down adjustment (which you don't need) and 50 MOAs up for extended range shots.

I think its always good to go with a canted base.

if your name has anything to do with where you live I have to agree with the above post as I am sure you will have some distances to shoot - if you are going to shoot over 500-600 yards then you will needed at least a 20 MOA canted base unless you bought a scope with lots of elevation, aka, NightForce NXS. I would always recommend at least a 20 MOA base as it is practical and gives the added MOA or MIL to get you to the long distances with that amount of elevation needed.

Hi all,

thanks for the great info. that cleared up my confusion for sure lol. so any suggestions on what brands i should take a look at?

How much are you looking to spend? You say you have intentions of building it into a high end shooter, so I would suggest buying the good stuff right from the start and not buying cheap with the intention of upgrading later.

I bought the same rifle recently as my first "precision" bolt gun. I got a badger base and rings. They were not cheap, somewhere in the neighborhood of $375. You can get their stuff cheaper, I just happenned to buy one of their more expensive sets of rings. I am new to this long range stuff, but I have been shooting bolt guns for many years. I own numerous scopes with numerous mounting setups, and I can say that without question I am most impressed with the Badger products.

There are many other great manufacturers (from what I read), that I have no first hand experience with. Seekins and Spuhr come to mind, and I'm sure others will post more.

Like I said, buy the top end stuff now and be done with it. You can always use it over if you upgrade your glass in the furure. If you have the same Millet scope as me (TRS-1) it has a 30mm tube, which is what you will find on alot of higher end scopes. It is not a bad scope for the money, but I can say that my Leupolds are better, and my NXS even better yet. It will definately get you started, and who knows maybe you will just stick with it.

Good luck!

EGW 20 MOA Base. Get it. It's a fraction of the cost of the Badger, and every bit as nice imo. It does it's job perfectly.

When you're ready for a DBM set up I recommend Jeff at CDI Precision. He manufactures his own DBM set up, very similar to the Badger, and has again worked flawlessly for me. The DBM set up is $209 shipped, again a fraction of the price of the Badger. He will even inlet the stock you're using for $60. He's a really nice guy too. Great to do business with.
https://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/

Rings, I would go with Badger or Seekins. I have the Vortex precision match rings on my rifle (made by Seekins Precision) and I have to recommend them. Awesome.

It might be blasphemy on this sight, but I say go with the Burris signature zee rings. The bases mentioned are all good choices! The addition of the burris rings will do a few things. No ring marks on the scope. No need to lap the rings. Did I mention no ring marks? We all like to think that this scope is the last we'll ever buy! ha but in reality, you're going to want another one, so when you go to sell this one...while it does not impede performance people just don't like to buy scopes with marks. I'm a convert, I tried them and now every gun of mine sports them! I know your question was about bases, and any of the mentioned ones a good choises, but these really are a nice addition to whatever base you get.

Hi all,

more great info for sure. some of the mods i see people make include upgrading the bolt handle. is this a drop in option or are you having it cut and threaded for a new bolt handle?

again thank you for all the great info and links!

So what do you guys think about the Seekins 20moa base compared to he EGW?

as always, thanks!

Seekins is really nice, but I don't see it being any better than the EGW base. jmo

You would have to cut the bolt handle off, thread it and screw on the bolt handle you wanna run. You can send your bolt off to Keith at Phoenix Custom Rifles and he can set you up.

ok thanks guys. so here is my next noob question. when i bought the rifle i was told they are hard to get. not rare i guess but maybe because of demand? is doing any of these mods like cutting the bolt handle going to ruin any future collectibility? i know that seems like a question counter to the reason i bought the rifle but from what i can tell its just the standard tactical with a threaded barrel and different color stock.

as always,

thanks!

I doubt the rifle will ever end up being a collectors iteam so you won't be messing up its value by modifying it.

ok thank you. i found this review on the EGW mount:

"Get what you pay for, but still had twisting problems with long-range setups on 5r's and PSP's. Will not sit flat without almost stripping the screws in two cases."

to be fair its the only negative one i could find. but i dont understand what PSP's and 5r's. i am thinking of going with the EGW now to get the rifle up and going. the high end build is going to take me awhile. i want to save up for a good stock first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nevada</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok thank you. i found this review on the EGW mount:

"Get what you pay for, but still had twisting problems with long-range setups on 5r's and PSP's. Will not sit flat without almost stripping the screws in two cases."

to be fair its the only negative one i could find. but i dont understand what PSP's and 5r's. i am thinking of going with the EGW now to get the rifle up and going. the high end build is going to take me awhile. i want to save up for a good stock first. </div></div>

The guy who reviewed it should have bedded the scope base instead of torquing the shit out of it.

There's always going to be a bad review no matter what the product is, people are strange. You will have no qualms with the EGW

Ok so going to give the EGW a try. any suggestions on scope rings?

....what height do you guys typically go with when it comes to rings? how do you decide what size to go with?

The screws that come with the regular egw bases suck. They will strip very easy be careful not to over torque them it can be a pain if you ever take them out. The hd base comes with higher quality torx screws or can be bought for $4 from egw.

thanks for the info. i was going to get the heavy duty base. its around $65. is that the version has the beter screws?

thanks!

Burris signature zee rings, nothing better!! I use the high ones and I have a 50mm objective, no 20moa base. With the scope caps on there is only MAYBE two millimeters clearance to the bull barrel.
I'm having a brain fart and can't think of how you would figure our what you'd need so I'll let one of the smarter guys here help ya out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nevada</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the info. i was going to get the heavy duty base. its around $65. is that the version has the beter screws?

thanks! </div></div>
Yeah that's the one

ok so i got the low down on the scope my buddy is giving me for the setup. He said i should go with high rings for it. its a Millet TRS

The TRS precision tactical riflescope with illuminated Mil-DotBar reticle,

Magnification: 4-16x
Objective Diameter: 50mm
Eye Relief 3.5"
Tube Diameter: 30mm
Optics: Multi-Coated
Reticle: Illuminated Mil-DotBar

awesome man, i'm in the same boat at you. lets see who's rifle stacks up the fastest
smirk.gif

From what I understand, the main difference between the Seekins base vs the EGW is that the Seekins has a recoil lug that minimizes impact on the the base screws and prevents slippage. Most higher end bases have this feature.

ok another noob quesion - i noticed while looking at bases there are a couple options on screws:

6-48 screws and 8-40 screws.

what does that mean and how do i determine which ones i need?

as always,

thanks!

Sweet! thank you for the link. i appreciate it. i hope i am not irritating anyone with my questions lol

6-48 and 8-40 refer to screw diameter and threads per inch. You want 6-48s unless you're going to have someone re-tap your receiver.
I have a 700 SPS-V with a 56mm objective scope in weaver high rings on a 20MOA weaver base (which is cheap and has a recoil lug) and will be getting mediums probably of a different make to bring it down. Hope it helps, good luck with the build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You would have to cut the bolt handle off, thread it and screw on the bolt handle you wanna run. You can send your bolt off to Keith at Phoenix Custom Rifles and he can set you up. </div></div>
+1 for Keith @ PCR

it seems the night force scopes are popular. they have a base on amazon for 114. a bit more than the seekins. is having a base with the recoil lug built in worth the extra $? whats the advantage?

thanks!

Hi all,

So i ran down to pick up the scope from my friend. he set me up with a one piece rail by IOR-Valdada and yankee hill rings (YHM-300A). So i guess im set for now on optics. so now i guess i need to think about a bi-pod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nevada</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi all,

So i ran down to pick up the scope from my friend. he set me up with a one piece rail by IOR-Valdada and yankee hill rings (YHM-300A). So i guess im set for now on optics. so now i guess i need to think about a bi-pod. </div></div>
This is what most seem to have: http://www.triadtactical.com/Harris-Bi-pod-6-9-Swivel-Notched-leg.html

This is what most seem to want: http://www.triadtactical.com/Accu-Shot-Atlas-Bipod.html

Purpose built F-class: http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=44699/Product/Sinclair-3rd-Generation-F-Class-Bipod

Just another ass hole . . .I mean opinion.

lol, well i appreciate the info for sure. i ended up with the rings and base as they were free to me. so cant beat that lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nevada</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lol, well i appreciate the info for sure. i ended up with the rings and base as they were free to me. so cant beat that lol. </div></div>
If that was for me, my post was about bipods. You mentioned moving on from your rings to a bipod in the last sentence so I thought that was the direction you were going.

hey,

you are correct, that is he direction im headed in now. sorry i was not trying be a smarty or anything lol. i appreciate the info for sure and just spent time reading it all over. i apologize if i created a misunderstanding. im just dead tired at the moment and my mind is not firing on all cylinders at the moment lol.

i do appreciate the help and info for sure!

ok so on bipods. im not in a positon to drop $300 at the moment so harris is prob what i will go with. do you prefer the 6 to 9 ince or the 9 to13. so what should i be taking into consideration when selecting my height range?

One tall enough to get above the obstructions. I think Harris calls their low bipod a bench rest because there's not usually tall grass on a shooting bench. I like low and use my pack if the low bipods not high enough. Some folks have more than one. Have you tried this fellows search engine:

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

You can find most questions have been threaded somewhere and can provide insights into things you may not have considered. Have fun with your build.

thanks for the links. the google search link is interesting. i did not realize you could do that kind of setup. and i think you are right on amazon. i get the free shipping so it would be the better deal.