• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy, with an old gun.

Kilo-Sierra

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2011
Oklahoma
Hey all, thought I would introduce myself, as well as my gear. I am a history enthusiast who loves to shoot at stuff that is pretty far away, and I don't claim to be anything else. I have owned a handful of long range sticks but had to sell them at different times to pay for medical bills and such. Currently my only "Sniper" style rifle is a 1903 that I found in a pawn shop. It was a sporter that I saw had some potential.

It looked like this when I found it.
forsale007.jpg

After some work, and a decent amount of money it now looks like this.
1903A4001-1.jpg

Now I am working on getting a load that it will like before deer season. The scope is a Weaver K3 and the barrel has been cut back, so it's not legal for the Vintage Sniper matches, but there are some local matches that I could shoot it at just for the fun of it. To me, it's a great representation of the kind of guns our forefathers went to war with, and a great thing to be able to teach my kids some history with. Plus, the coolest deer rifle in the woods. The action is a 1919 RIA, the barrel is a 7-44. I am going to try to make a good load using 155 grain Amax bullets.

I know how to use the search function, so I will probably read a lot, and post a little. Thanks in advance for any and all advice/suggestions/critique.

Here's a family photo of my Battle rifles.
1903A4004.jpg

Re: New guy, with an old gun.

Very nice and good job on bringing that sporter a little closer to what it <span style="font-style: italic">should</span> look like.
cool.gif

wow very nice well done.. makes me wanna do an 03 now

Nice, and welcome!!

I had a sporter for 30 years, and just recently put it back to military condition - except for welding/filling the scope holes - I'm in line with my smith to get that done..

Kilo-Sierra

Nice job sir! Yes, I noticed the short muzzle.

I just picked up an '03A3, and am trying to build it into an A4 reproduction. The action had been drilled and tapped previously, so I have no struggles about modding it further.

After completion, I hope mine looks as nice as your does. Again, nicely done!

Cheers... Jim

You did excellent work on that Springfield. Sorry to hear about some of the guns you lost due to financial issues. That sucks, I know. You did some fine work there, now enjoy shooting it! Take care.

Thanks all, I was very fortunate that the scope and mounts actually work with the look I was hoping to achieve. That saved me at least $100 right there.

The Redfield mount that's on there did require me to modify the handgaurd a bit.

Finally got to the range, wouldn't you know it the rounds I had the fewest of were the ones it liked the most. Did this at 200 with my last 3 after letting it sit for about 20-30 minutes to cool off, and after cleaning it.

1903group.jpg

I measured it as 1 7/8s, this was at 200 yards. I think that one may have been messed up by me a bit, so we'll see the next time I get to go. Either way, 1 MOA with a gun this old, I'm tickled. Low powers scopes make things interesting!

Nicely done Sir!

Where did you get the stock from? What else did you do to it?

I have been thinking about doing something like that as well but am still in the research mode.

Gun

Nice looking/shooting rifle. I love my 03's.

Just curious why did you cut the barrel? I'm trying to remember the put together of an 03 front sight, once you slide the band off you remove a key and you would have a slick front end.

Doesnt matter either way. Your option probably ensures a nice crown end to the barrel - better than counterboring to restore accuracy.

The stock came from Numrich, it hadn't been grouping well, so I used a small piece of gasket materiel to bed part of the barrel about 4 inches from the muzzle, that helped dramaticaly.

The barrel was cut by whoever sporterized it.

very nice looking rig, i to like history, and just discovered shooting, needless to say my wife hasn't stoped rolling her eyes