• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy

knightdefense

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2023
Oregon
Hello everyone. I am a new member from Oregon. I have spent the last 14-years serving as a Law Enforcement Sniper on a large metro area tactical team. I have been very thankful to everyones knowledge and experience on this site, and have now decided it's time to join the group. I am hoping to continue learning from all of you and hopefully contributing a few experiences as well.

I'm just curious, what ranges do you guys train to and what size is your target at your longest range you go for?
In a Metro situation I would think most shots are fairly short whereas a lot of guys here tend to start at 600 and go out from there.
I think your job would be rather challenging.
Also, what round and rifle do you use for work and is that what you use for play, such as matches?

I'm just curious, what ranges do you guys train to and what size is your target at your longest range you go for?
In a Metro situation I would think most shots are fairly short whereas a lot of guys here tend to start at 600 and go out from there.
I think your job would be rather challenging.
Also, what round and rifle do you use for work and is that what you use for play, such as matches?
Believe it or not the average LE Sniper shot is 56-yards across the nation. That being said, it is usually a split second shot and must be absolutely less then 1-MOA precise. We routinely train out to 300-yards with the goal of maintaining less then a 1-MOA accuracy target window with our R700 bolt guns, and 1.5-2 MOA with our Larue OBRs. Once a year we head out east and spend several days training for longer range work from 600- 1200 yards. The round of choice for us is the Federal 168 grain TRU for multiple wounding ballistics reasons (not a great long range round). As far as what I hunt and compete with, I use my work R700. I will never be a top contender, but I will get better with the tools I use on a regular basis.

So 7.62X51 right? Having played around with my range finder from the front porch I find it easy to believe the 56 yard range.
With ranges such as that I would think that a CNS shot would be easily doable if you had to.
Do you practice for that? In most situations I would guess that you would go for COM but in this day and age the bad actors may have body armor that may rule that out?
My oldest son is a small arms instructor in USBOP and goes back East every once in a while to re-cert.
Do you have long range ranges close to you where you can go practice and play?
I am old and retired and shooting is about the only fun thing I have left that I physically can do.
Weather permitting I usually shoot 3-5 days a week at 1000, come home, reload, rinse and repeat.
I live in a very rural area in NE Colorado, thank God, the cities I stay away from.

Reactions: Yasherka
So 7.62X51 right? Having played around with my range finder from the front porch I find it easy to believe the 56 yard range.
With ranges such as that I would think that a CNS shot would be easily doable if you had to.
Do you practice for that? In most situations I would guess that you would go for COM but in this day and age the bad actors may have body armor that may rule that out?
My oldest son is a small arms instructor in USBOP and goes back East every once in a while to re-cert.
Do you have long range ranges close to you where you can go practice and play?
I am old and retired and shooting is about the only fun thing I have left that I physically can do.
Weather permitting I usually shoot 3-5 days a week at 1000, come home, reload, rinse and repeat.
I live in a very rural area in NE Colorado, thank God, the cities I stay away from.
Your are correct; 7.62 x 51 (.308 Win). My rule is CNS head shot inside of 200-yards and COM outside of that range (situation permitting). I rarely ever get the privilege of a true prone position, and end up standing behind a tripod the majority of the time which is obviously less stable. We have access to a well known scope manufacturers range that is only a few hours away that is a true 1-mile deck. Otherwise, our LE range is 200-yards that we use for regular training every month.

I have 1 mile on my friends farm but that is 65 miles away so I don't shoot it too often. I'm usually there to work, not play.
I will send you a PM so you can look at our local range if you want to.