• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NEW Hand Tools - US made - What do you recommend?

AnschutzNerd

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2010
World Traveler
Need hand tools for semi-professional use. Looking to spend a few thousand.

Please DO NOT recommend the tools that have served you well for 20 years. Unfortunately, they are not made that way any more.

I have read about hand tools and find that many Name Brands are changing manufacturers faster than I can keep up in an attempt to reduce costs. Enter: China.

Snap On. The Best. The price? Ridiculous.

Craftsman - I "was" interested in the Professional Series. Unfortunately, most of the "Professional" series are NOW Chinese made per my research. There was a time when the Professional Series was all US made and a great value.

Proto - made by Stanley. The polished series. I'm considering them strongly but, question what happens if I need to get a tool replaced. Local representation??

I am looking for TWO sets of the following as a base. (There are a lot more tools I plan to purchase.)

5/16-in through 1-1/4-in, Combination Wrench Set.
8mm through 30-mm, Combination Wrench Set.

Snap On Price, two sets of each - About $2300.
Proto price, two sets of each - About $1400.

Any recommendations for NEW Tools? Retailers?

I can not justify the retail price of Snap On!
Discounts seem non-existant for Snap On.

Any brands I am overlooking? What if I break a socket or ratchet; What kind of representation does the brand You recommend offer?

Looking forward to your thoughts,

AnschutzNerd

Re: NEW Hand Tools - US made - What do you recommend?

Mac used to be Snap ons biggest competitor.

www.mactools.com

Check Matco and Cornwell tools. They are good tools, & a hell of a lot cheaper than Snap On. Snap On is the way to go for some specialty tools such as scanners & electronic tools. OTC for pullers & front end tools such as 4WD sockets.

+1 on ebay for snap on deals. I would go with snap on 6 point wrenches and sockets. They are designed to bit on the flat portion of the nut/bolt and will not round off where other brands bite on the points which will cause a stubborn fastener to round off. They work!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check Matco and Cornwell tools. They are good tools, & a hell of a lot cheaper than Snap On. Snap On is the way to go for some specialty tools such as scanners & electronic tools. OTC for pullers & front end tools such as 4WD sockets. </div></div>
^^^This.
Also wait until the stuff you want is on promotion. All you have to do is find the right tool guy and he will let you know. I usually get real good deals on all of my tools but a lot of that comes from being on thier speed dial.
smile.gif

Stanley Proto GTG

When I was 17 I had a job where I sometimes would put on gloves and a faceshield and polish stainless welds with a stainless wire brush head on a hand held Milwaukee rotary angle grinder for 8 hours at a time 40 hours a week.

Of course it was horribly boring. Of course it was a terrible job, but the point is the Milwaukee angle grinders worked. I didn't experience one breaking on me in at least 100 hours of polishing welds non stop.

I've heard people shit talk Milwaukee tools but my experience was positive.

I have a spattering of both Snap-On and Craftsman in my tool box. I think that Snap-On makes a better quality tool, but they are really proud of their stuff. So I have a mostly Craftsman - the tools are a reasonable price and when I do break one I don't have to hunt down the Craftsman guy.

Anything can be broken, but the only Craftsman tools I've broken are ones that I abused. Wear tools like ratchets -- I've worn out craftsmand and snap-on both, so if you're planning on going somewhere you can't get tools replaced fairly quickly you may consider grabbing a spare before you head out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I was 17 I had a job where I sometimes would put on gloves and a faceshield and polish stainless welds with a stainless wire brush head on a hand held Milwaukee rotary angle grinder for 8 hours at a time 40 hours a week.

Of course it was horribly boring. Of course it was a terrible job, but the point is the Milwaukee angle grinders worked. I didn't experience one breaking on me in at least 100 hours of polishing welds non stop.

I've heard people shit talk Milwaukee tools but my experience was positive. </div></div>

I am a General Contractor and can tell you that Milwaukee is not what it used to be, a lot of their tools are now made in China, their angle grinders are crap, I smoked several of them on the last project I did and the Bosch angle grinders were a lot better.

Milwaukee, Makita,Bosch,PorterCable etc... are all owned by some chinese company or other foreign co.

Nothing is what it used to be...welcome to the new America...not even sure if America should be capitalized any more.

Good luck on your search for a quality tool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a spattering of both Snap-On and Craftsman in my tool box. I think that Snap-On makes a better quality tool, but they are really proud of their stuff. So I have a mostly Craftsman - the tools are a reasonable price and when I do break one I don't have to hunt down the Craftsman guy.

Anything can be broken, but the only Craftsman tools I've broken are ones that I abused. Wear tools like ratchets -- I've worn out craftsmand and snap-on both, so if you're planning on going somewhere you can't get tools replaced fairly quickly you may consider grabbing a spare before you head out. </div></div>

I have quite a bit of Snap on, Matco, Mac and Craftsman tools, Craftsmen are the only ones who actually honor the lifetime warranty without jacking me around, I take it to the store and walk out with a new one, no problem.

I have a snap on box that needs slides and it is such a pain in the ass to get them warrantied I went to a cabinet supplier I have an account with and matched them up and bought hem, this is on a tool box that cost over $10,000.

Snap On does have some specialty tools that are great, but unless you buy consistently from the guy on the truck you will not get good service or have their waranty honored.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RebelYell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Milwaukee, Makita,Bosch,PorterCable etc... are all owned by some chinese company or other foreign co.

Nothing is what it used to be...welcome to the new America...not even sure if America should be capitalized any more.

Good luck on your search for a quality tool. </div></div>

That is correct, you can get better tools from a supplier than from Home Depot or other home centers.

Hilti used to sell tools in Home Depot but don't anymore because HD wanted Hilti to make a lower quality cheaper line for HD and Hilti decided it wasn't worth whoring up their product line to make HD happy, Hilti is the best in what they do, it is expensive but in the long run they are the cheapest ool you can buy because they last and do the job.

Williams is a good alernative to Snap on but it's hard to find places that sell them and even harder to get them warrantied. I have pretty much all snap on but that's because I had a couple good dealers that were great about warranty items and giving decent deals. Ebay use to be the place to buy used snap on but anymore the deals are few and far between. Matco has nice tools but most are about the same price as Snap on unless you go with their cheaper line.

I have a set of proto tools I received to use on electronics (First life in the Army, 1983-1986), I use them constantly for distributors etc - so I'm sure their big tools would stand up as well. Love those red bags they come in too! I still have em! Mint condition....

What about the tools that are being sold in Lowes? I saw them on American Chopper talking about how they are made in USA and durable etc- anyone got experience with those?

I went with NAPA tools, not sure who manufactures them but there is a NAPA parts store in about every town and they warranty their stuff forever.

Depends upon what you are going to do with your tools, if they are going to see severe use go with the best you can afford.
They are all good and most warranty what they sell.

Another thing to consider is what type of work you are going to do with your tools? Mine are very prone to loss and theft hence I would not choose the higher end for that reason.

Buy regular old USA made Craftsman. They'll do you just fine.

Break one? There's a store in nearly every town, walk in with a busted tool, walk out with a new one.

Simple as that.

Williams is good, but as was said earlier, good luck finding them, or replacements when you need them.

Both my PERSONAL boxes are pretty full of Snap On, if you work with your tools every day you DO appreciate the value, and understand why they cost more. On the other hand, if I am out of town, and need a set of tools to work on customers stuff, and none are at the plant, it is off to Sears for a batch of Craftsman. They are cheaper, and do work.

I buy all my tools on ebay and typically only pay about half price for them. I have found the best value in tools is Proto, or even their lesser line, Blackhawk.

I would have no reservations buying any hand tool that is made in America. As far as warranties go, if you are using the right tool for the job in the way it was intended to be used, you should never break a hand tool. If you do break a tool, it's usually just easier to suck it up and buy a new on vs deal with all the warranty bullshit.

My collection of all American tools consists of Proto, Blackhawk, SnapOn (very few), Williams, Craftsman, Armstrong (can often be found cheap on ebay), Cornwell, Klein, Channel Lock, and Irwin. I know each of these companies may have foreign products, but I'm adiment about buying American hand tools.

I have craftsman tools and they are ok but they are not made in the US. I have problems with wearing out the ratchets, I also have broken several of their 3\8 drive Phillips, and alien head sockets. I have a proto alien head that i have used with an impact wench and it did not break. I have several Williams 1/2 sockets that are made in the is the are Williams-snap on but not all of their tool are made in the use. Snap on truck will warranty both Williams and snap on tools.

I still think the Made in USA Crftsman tools are good value for the money. Yeah, lots of people bitch about them, but then they'd bitch if ya set their ass on fire with a new match too.

I think they have two lines of tools- some here and some in china.

I busted a rachet getting a tire changed on a semi trailer on the side of the interstate a few weeks ago (not mine, and it had chinese tires on it so dont even get me started on those shit things). I walked into the store and the counter guy looked at it and went and got a new one right off the shelf. The dam things price was almost what I paid for the whole socket set 25 years ago. Gave it to me and said have a nice day.

I went with Snap On for a couple major reasons. One, their speciality tool selection is the best. Second, they lifetime warranty is awesome. I have snapped files, broken carbide bits, snapped off dozens of torx head drivers and they were replaced ASAP with no questions asked.

I also have MATCO tools in my toolbox on my traveling trailer. They are dependable and quality but they are not Snap On quality IMHO.

I always look on ebay for the best deal on snap on tools, then I give my snap on guy the option. Most of the times he'll match the price. Another thing is he'll put it on my wish list and when it goes on sale, he let's me know.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Thank You for the replies! For clarification: I am in need of Hand Tools - not Power Tools.</span>

I have done a bit more research and found the following:

Mac Tools = Snap On price.

Matco - Hunt a truck. There are a lot less around than there used to be.

Cornwell, Proto, SK, Danaher, etc... How do I get replacement (warranty) tools in my neighborhood?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy regular old USA made Craftsman. They'll do you just fine.</div></div>
I'll touch on what I have learned of CURRENT Craftsman tools:

The Sears store's I have been to in New England, have mostly Chinese tools. You literally have to Hunt a US made Craftsman tool in the Sears store and there is a good chance that the US made tools are in the Clearance section as more shelf space is made for the junk. The Professional line... Going... Going... Gone! Now they have what are called: "Full Polish" ...China!

I grew up watching people return HAND tools to local Sears for replacement. The problem now is that if you HAD a good tool and bring it to Sears for replacement... you are now expected to be happy with the Chinese replacement.

<span style="font-weight: bold">In Short:</span>

Craftsman - In Sears store = Chinese made. No more Professional Series. "Full Polish" = Chinese.

Craftsman - Industrial Line - Available through Grainger are advertised as "Made in the USA". A lot more expensive than anything sold in Sears but, an option.

Craftsman - NEW Premium Line - Not available in stores, online only. An example is the Premium line ratchets. They look premium, US Made, and cost half as much as Snap On!

So... Quality tools are available with the Craftsman name... Just NOT in Sears. Say one buys NEW Industrial or Premium Line Craftsman Tools and has an issue where a tool requires warranty replacement?? The stores, at this time, just carry the Junk. (Excuse me... Chinese made.)

Sears is restructuring. Junk sells to those who do not know the difference. Welcome to the internet age. Need a replacement? It's only two plus weeks away via the Postal Service.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Where does that leave me? The guy that wants Premium tools who will not shell out Snap On retail prices?</span>

Snap On - Still the best. The price, still ridiculous. Hunt a truck for warranty replacement tools. The truck shows up to sell, not warranty.

Craftsman - Restructuring. The Sears store(s) does not carry the good stuff at this time.

Proto - A good compromise. Best Price is through Amazon.com, How do I get a tool replaced under warranty?

Buying "Made in the USA" tools over the internet and having to use the Postal Service (and wait 2+ weeks) for a replacement sort of ruins the "Made in the USA" buying experience.

I'll follow up this tread after I make my purchases.

Some will be Snap On. Breaker bars. Maybe a Ratchet Set. Perhaps used?

I am still undecided on what Brand will make up the bulk of the purchase. If you sell tools in Connecticut, send me a message.

If only it was as easy as walking into a store.

AnschutzNerd

I can drive to the middle of town and throw a rock and hit the Snap On trucks. I dont know the area you live in but there are probably more drivers then you think. You can call into Snap On's main HQ and they will give you a list of the guys in your area.

For the money invested and warranty you cannot beat Snap On. Yes they are expensive but if my great great grandkids can use the same tools with peace of mind that if something happens to a ratchet they can get it replaced.

I worked in a body shop once upon a time. I used Matco, Snap-on, and Craftsman all three. If you want the best of both worlds Matco is the way to go. Price is less than Snap-on and also warranty. Although if you break craftsman all you have to do is go to the Sears store. All three will serve you well just what your willing to spend.

Snap on tools are the only way to go. I have been a mechanic for fifteen years. It has taken all them years to aquire a tool box full of tools. Buy what you can afford, but remember you only have to buy Snap On once.

Snap on is the S&B of tools. i luv my SnapOn tools

Williams use to be a division of Snap-on. At one time Williams made Cobalt tools. Lowes carried the Cobalt version of a Snap-on ratchet. After some of the Snap-on truck guys heard about it they raised hell and now you cant get them. Snap on and Crafstman are good stuff. I've picked up Snap on at pawn shops for 50% or more less than what they sale on the truck. The best impact sockets I own came from Harbor Freight. The Chicago Tool brand and they have a life time warrenty for around 20 to 30 bucks for a set. So shop around. Like some of the others Snap On makes great specilty tools. I would recommend there ratchets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADVAUTO5488</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Snap on tools are the only way to go. I have been a mechanic for fifteen years. It has taken all them years to aquire a tool box full of tools. Buy what you can afford, but remember <span style="font-weight: bold">you only have to buy Snap On once.</span> </div></div>

Unless you are in a shop and buy regularly from the Snap on truck, try getting a tool warrantied.

Their lifetime warranty is pretty much B.S. any of them that make you go through an independant dealer to get it replaced isn't really a lifetime warranty.

I have quite a bit of snap on tools and they aren't worth the money, there are tools just as good that are cheaper but Snap On has a following due to marketing, they do have some specialty tools that no one else makes though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AnschutzNerd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Thank You for the replies! For clarification: I am in need of Hand Tools - not Power Tools.</span>

I have done a bit more research and found the following:

Mac Tools = Snap On price.

Matco - Hunt a truck. There are a lot less around than there used to be.

Cornwell, Proto, SK, Danaher, etc... How do I get replacement (warranty) tools in my neighborhood?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy regular old USA made Craftsman. They'll do you just fine.</div></div>
I'll touch on what I have learned of CURRENT Craftsman tools:

The Sears store's I have been to in New England, have mostly Chinese tools. You literally have to Hunt a US made Craftsman tool in the Sears store and there is a good chance that the US made tools are in the Clearance section as more shelf space is made for the junk. The Professional line... Going... Going... Gone! Now they have what are called: "Full Polish" ...China!

I grew up watching people return HAND tools to local Sears for replacement. The problem now is that if you HAD a good tool and bring it to Sears for replacement... you are now expected to be happy with the Chinese replacement.

<span style="font-weight: bold">In Short:</span>

Craftsman - In Sears store = Chinese made. No more Professional Series. "Full Polish" = Chinese.

Craftsman - Industrial Line - Available through Grainger are advertised as "Made in the USA". A lot more expensive than anything sold in Sears but, an option.

Craftsman - NEW Premium Line - Not available in stores, online only. An example is the Premium line ratchets. They look premium, US Made, and cost half as much as Snap On!

So... Quality tools are available with the Craftsman name... Just NOT in Sears. Say one buys NEW Industrial or Premium Line Craftsman Tools and has an issue where a tool requires warranty replacement?? The stores, at this time, just carry the Junk. (Excuse me... Chinese made.)

Sears is restructuring. Junk sells to those who do not know the difference. Welcome to the internet age. Need a replacement? It's only two plus weeks away via the Postal Service.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Where does that leave me? The guy that wants Premium tools who will not shell out Snap On retail prices?</span>

Snap On - Still the best. The price, still ridiculous. Hunt a truck for warranty replacement tools. The truck shows up to sell, not warranty.

Craftsman - Restructuring. The Sears store(s) does not carry the good stuff at this time.

Proto - A good compromise. Best Price is through Amazon.com, How do I get a tool replaced under warranty?

Buying "Made in the USA" tools over the internet and having to use the Postal Service (and wait 2+ weeks) for a replacement sort of ruins the "Made in the USA" buying experience.

I'll follow up this tread after I make my purchases.

Some will be Snap On. Breaker bars. Maybe a Ratchet Set. Perhaps used?

I am still undecided on what Brand will make up the bulk of the purchase. If you sell tools in Connecticut, send me a message.

If only it was as easy as walking into a store.

AnschutzNerd
</div></div>

Wow, you have done a lot of research. Please follow-up with what you end up buying. I am also in the market for a high end tool set.

S-K - hard to find - that's the wrenches that have lasted me the longest - thin, nice chrome finish - LOVE them..

I have a handful of SK wrenches I bought in the 1960s that are still very good.

The Craftsman sets I bought in the 1960s and 70s are still doing OK. Some of the screwdriver handles have discolored. But several wrenches have different finish because they are replacements.

The Snap On and Proto that I have are wonderful. I got them in the later 1980s and 90s when I could get them and the shop would do a paycheck deduction.

I have no idea of what the prices are today. But QUALITY WISE the brands I have listed are among the best I have used for hand tools. I finished my Tool Maker's Apprenticeship in 1978 and have worked in shops most of my adult life. If you take care of your tools, especially if they are quality to start with, they'll last a long time. Leave them laying outside in the yard like my idiot nephew and they'll last real fast. I had to reclaim some of my father's tools just last year where he left them laying out and forgot them.

Hand tools like wrenches? Say that next time.

Buy Snap-on or Mac...still foreign tools but come with a no questions asked warranty. The only reason people buy them..same junk as sold in stores but they have the warranty...thats what your paying for.

+1 on napa tools. Great tools. American made. Lifetime warranty. Compare well to Mac,snap-on and the like. Also a lot easier to find a napa store than a Mac tool truck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RebelYell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hand tools like wrenches? Say that next time.

Buy Snap-on or Mac...still foreign tools but come with a no questions asked warranty. The only reason people buy them..same junk as sold in stores but they have the warranty...thats what your paying for. </div></div>

Snap On's warranty is onlty good if you are currently buying tools from the truck, otherwise they won't honor the warranty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bgbill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RebelYell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hand tools like wrenches? Say that next time.

Buy Snap-on or Mac...still foreign tools but come with a no questions asked warranty. The only reason people buy them..same junk as sold in stores but they have the warranty...thats what your paying for. </div></div>

Snap On's warranty is onlty good if you are currently buying tools from the truck, otherwise they won't honor the warranty.
</div></div>

Bullshit, I have used snap on chrome sockets as impact sockets and broken them, never once had an issue getting them warrantied from the 6 different dealers that I have dealt with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ballsdeep</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bgbill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RebelYell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hand tools like wrenches? Say that next time.

</div></div>

Bullshit, I have used snap on chrome sockets as impact sockets and broken them, never once had an issue getting them warrantied from the 6 different dealers that I have dealt with. </div></div>

The guys I bought my snap on tools from aren't around anymore and I tried getting them warranteed through my BIL who worked at a dealer, the Snap On guy always kept forgetting to order the slides, even though he had the 2 pair that were removed and we gave him the serial numbers off the boxes, and other tools we tried to get warranteed he just happened to not have them but was supposed to order them and he never did.

so unless you have an ongoing relationship with a dealer or have bought from that dealer the lifetime warranty is useless from my experience.

Also i was told the snap on lifetime warranty is for the original purchaser only, where Craftsmen they don't care, they just exchange them for you, no questions asked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bgbill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RebelYell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hand tools like wrenches? Say that next time.

</div></div>

I have to agree with the other guy, your posts are full of shit on this subject. I can call up Snap on corporate and get a few names of dealers in my area and call any of them up and get tools warrantied. I work on the pipeline and have done this in 3 different states and not once had an issue. In 8 years I have only ran across one dickhead and he still warrantied tools for chrome flaking. If all else fails, contact snap on and send it to them and they will send back a replacement. As far as the lifetime warranty only good to original purchaser, it is for the people that buy junk off ebay, brag about it to the dealer while trying to get it replaced with new tool because it's not a "safe queen" as it would be referred to if it were a gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bradu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bgbill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RebelYell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hand tools like wrenches? Say that next time.

</div></div>

I have to agree with the other guy, your posts are full of shit on this subject. I can call up Snap on corporate and get a few names of dealers in my area and call any of them up and get tools warrantied. I work on the pipeline and have done this in 3 different states and not once had an issue. In 8 years I have only ran across one dickhead and he still warrantied tools for chrome flaking. If all else fails, contact snap on and send it to them and they will send back a replacement. As far as the lifetime warranty only good to original purchaser, it is for the people that buy junk off ebay, brag about it to the dealer while trying to get it replaced with new tool because it's not a "safe queen" as it would be referred to if it were a gun. </div></div>

How can you say i am full of shit when I am telling you the problems I have had getting snap on tools and slides for a box warrantied?

The guys in the truck are independant dealers, they buy and stock the truck, so if they choose not to handle a warranty because I am not buying from them or haven't in then past, that is up to them i guess because that is what they do down here, an it isn't juts a recent occurance.

Snap On are nice but getting the stuff warrantied is not as easy as going to sears, 25 years ago they had a bric and mortar store off MLK and they would warranty stuff, but there was a charge for them rebuilding a ratchets, a charge for replacing the blade on a screw driver and if the tool looked like it was abused they wouldn't warranty it.

You guys must be buying regularly from the truck or have in the past, otherwise we just have a bunch of dealers that gave me bad service on warranty so now I know I will not be able to get something warranted as easy as other tools so I am less inclined to buy snap on now.