• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision New helmet mounted 640 scanners

PlinkIt

GunNut ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2014
Virginia / North Carolina
So I'm looking at ultimate night vision after getting a text from a friend... And see a new little widget from a company I've never heard of

IRay Mini MH25 Thermal Helmet Mountable Monocular 640X480 25mm

I'm guessing this is an early leak from a shot show release, but at 4500 bucks for a 640 thermal with pvs14 style controls.... At least some folks are barking up the right tree!
  • Sensor Resolution: 640x480
  • Sensor Pixel Size: 12 Micron
  • Sensor Frame Rate: 50hz
  • Objective F#: 1.0
  • Objective Focal Length: 25mm
  • Objective Diameter: 25mm
  • Optical Magnification: 1.1X
  • Digital Magnification: 8X
Supposedly has a mode that makes it shrink to a true 1x as well

Reactions: BamaSE and Frog05
So I'm looking at ultimate night vision after getting a text from a friend... And see a new little widget from a company I've never heard of

IRay Mini MH25 Thermal Helmet Mountable Monocular 640X480 25mm

I'm guessing this is an early leak from a shot show release, but at 4500 bucks for a 640 thermal with pvs14 style controls.... At least some folks are barking up the right tree!
  • Sensor Resolution: 640x480
  • Sensor Pixel Size: 12 Micron
  • Sensor Frame Rate: 50hz
  • Objective F#: 1.0
  • Objective Focal Length: 25mm
  • Objective Diameter: 25mm
  • Optical Magnification: 1.1X
  • Digital Magnification: 8X
Supposedly has a mode that makes it shrink to a true 1x as well
Can you post the link to see how it looks. That would be amazing since FLIR is leaving us hanging.

Reactions: Frog05
It's got bluetooth, PIP, and can use Rechargeable or external battery, wireless remote and supposedly the image is very close to a SkeetIR-x.

From the best I could tell, (kinda blurry on my phone) the display pixel count is 1280x960.

Reactions: deersniper
In another forum there’s some information about it and video it looks amazing. Is made in China but the company has video of their manufacturing process. UNV has a few units for testing is what they show. I am keeping a eye on it. Looks promising.

Unfortunately, I haven't had good results with Chinese thermals yet ...

Tried ATN Thor HD ... unit worked up to about the 40% level ... like black hot was a completely blank screen. ATN support did well this one time, and told me to return the unit. I think this review was on scout, so its gone.
Tried the PRG TC-50 clipon. The image on low power was great with the 1024x768 display, but terrible on 8x, the advertized max. This review is in a thread on here. But the show stopper was I asked if I could shoot it on a .308 bolt gun and I did (rem700 on a bravo) and that killed it. They said they would repair and return, but never did.

So, again my luck with Chinese thermals is poor. Maybe somebody will finally get one that works !! :D

Yes I've followed several of your tests and I'm still hoping something else pops up during shot show

At least the helmet mounted units wouldn't need to stand up to a 308... At least I hope not! Lol

Still fingers crossed that NVision show up with a helmet 640 unit (and your clip on wig)

Yeah, I was just thinking FLIR's new policy ... in terms of effect ... is sort of like "Hey, let's come up with an idea to improve weapons sales from our enemies into the USA at the expense of homegrown systems !!!"

There have been several reviews. Summary is best bang for buck on the market. It’s more delicate than the Skeet and has a shitty factory eye box which a -14 ocular will fix. It’s got no external power from what I gather. It’s not recoil rated. It’s not a true 1x (speculating). Otherwise, the image appears pretty decent.

Reactions: deersniper
I finally got a chance to put my patrol next to one of these and I honestly can't say that I see what all the fuss is about...

It's a little lighter than the patrol, but I'll take the weight for the obvious difference in structural integrity and having a recoil rating if I need it on a rifle or shotgun for a little bit

Picture looked no better in our examples and it lacks the ability to have a magnifier lens on the front

Not really...
Let's look at unv as an example
$4500 here for the unit alone
I'm pushing 5k once I get the eye piece fixed up...

$7000 here for the patrol and all I need to do is put it on my helmet...

If this thing was priced like the breach I'd say you get your money's worth.

Shop around and I can't see where the price difference is worth stepping down to the Chinese unit at the price. Now at 2k yes it's making sense to gamble with it at 5k no way in hell I'm buying the plastic-skeet

Next question nobody has given me a straight answer to is who will service it when the warranty runs out...

Trijicon will at least service the unit even if you don't fall under any warranty, but for $$$ obviously

Trash the Corona-breach and I think you have nowhere to go it looks like... So get it at a price you are comfortable throwing in the trash.

Im curious what is the cost to rebuild a trashed patrol, as that might be a good idea of a fair price to pay for the iray unit...

As to the warranties ... here's the trijicon statement ... the unit (housing, lenses etc.) are warrantied for the life of the original owner. The "electronics" (core and such) are warrantied for 3 years.

IR-HUNTER®, IR-PATROL®, REAP-IR®, SNIPE-IR®:
Trijicon® warrants that optical systems and structural housings will be free from defects in material and workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner. Trijicon warrants the electronic systems and components for a period of 3 years for the original owner from the date of original retail purchase.

Trijicon will repair or replace (at our option) the registered product. This warranty does not apply to defects caused by anything which is deemed abnormal, abusive, or improper including any fault resulting from an accident or improper service.
https://www.trijicon.com/support/wa...that optical,date of original retail purchase.

On the UNV site, I see no information about the IRAY warranty, though I have heard there is one. If anyone can find the publically posted words, please post with link. Thanks!

Reactions: wigwamitus
I've seen UNV there say they will warranty it for the three years

But at three years and a week what do I do with it?

Still sounds like unv is buying enough to "warranty" them by making enough profit margin to throw a bad one in the trash and replace it...

What actual service can you get on the unit though?

If I buy a second hand patrol and I trash it I can call up Trijicon and pay to have work done to it.. I have no warranty on this example because I'm not the original purchaser, but I have an option.

I say it's good on UNV for doing something to bring this to the market and warranty it, but you have no tie back to the manufacturer still do you?..

For example if you buy one with a serial number that didn't come through them... What can you do with it when it breaks?