• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New help choosing sporter/match rifle

Narsus

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2018
Hey all,

I need help choosing a new .22 rifle. I’m going to be taking part in some local rimfire matches. My current rimfire doesn’t meet the specifications for the competition at all. Below are the relevant competition rules for the matches, and beneath that is a couple personal preferences.

Rifle Restrictions. Rimfire Sporter Rifle Matches offer shooters a recreation-oriented competition where they use .22 caliber sporter rifles (plinking and small game rifles). Restrictions for rifles are few and simple. Rifles must weight 7.5 pounds or less with sights on, slings off and with one magazine (if the rifle has a detachable magazine). Triggers must be capable of lifting a 3.0 pound weight when cocked. Rifles may have a Monte Carlo cheek-piece, but may not have an adjustable cheek-piece or adjustable butt-plate. Sling swivels on the fore-end must be fixed and non-adjustable.

There are a couple classes of competition – the standard “O Class” for open-sighted rifles, “T-Class” for telescope sighted (6x maximum) and rear aperture sighted rifles. Firing for all classes is done at 50 and 25 yards on a target with a 1.78” ten-ring and an 18” outer one-ring.

So, it needs to be a sporter rifle, and now for my few preferences:
  • Bolt action
  • Threaded barrel (1/2 x 28) - Ideally
  • I have no preference for open sights or a scope.
  • All-in I’d like to spend $1k - $2k
  • No single shot, must be magazine fed.
Thanks,
John

Tikka T1X
CZ 452/455/457
Ruger American Rimfire

I'm sure there are many others...it's the weight maximum that is going to DQ a lot of good rifles.

Does the 7.5# weight limit include scope and rings? What positions are the matches shot from?
  • Rifles must weight 7.5 pounds or less with sights on, slings off and with one magazine (if the rifle has a detachable magazine).
  • Prone and sitting or kneeling positions with a sling. A sling may not be used in the standing position.

I would say Ruger American Rimfire and Primary Arms 6 power optic. However it is out of stock until July.

I would say Ruger American Rimfire and Primary Arms 6 power optic. However it is out of stock until July.

That is an interesting option, do fixed power scopes need a parallax adjustment?

That is an interesting option, do fixed power scopes need a parallax adjustment?
Not typically. the Parallax is pre set to work in a range of distance if how I understand it. It might be a touch fuzzy at 25 yards and a touch fuzzy at 200?? Benn a while since I have used a straight power optic.

I recently bought a CZ457 Pro Varmint, its accuracy has exceeded my expectations.(check the 6x5 thread for actual resluts from different rifles)

if i had to pick a 6x optic id buya super sniper. i love the 4 10 and 12x ones i own

hth

lear

Reactions: BigKev72
I recently bought a CZ457 Pro Varmint, its accuracy has exceeded my expectations.(check the 6x5 thread for actual resluts from different rifles)

if i had to pick a 6x optic id buya super sniper. i love the 4 10 and 12x ones i own

hth

lear
I looked at the Pro Varmint, it's 7.3 lbs, and with an optic I wouldn't be able to use it.

Just looked at the super sniper optic, I like it...but it's a little heavy at 20 oz.

Thanks

My sako quad shoots great with the lighter sporter barrel. You Might be able to find one out in the wild 3.2 lbs without a scope

Tikka T1X
CZ 452/455/457
Ruger American Rimfire

I'm sure there are many others...it's the weight maximum that is going to DQ a lot of good rifles.
I thought the Target Ruger American Rimfire would work with a fixed 6x primary arms score but the magazine puts it over weight by 4oz.

The Tikka is a real option, I think the CZs are going to be too heavy. Bergara maybe?

I thought the Target Ruger American Rimfire would work with a fixed 6x primary arms score but the magazine puts it over weight by 4oz.

The Tikka is a real option, I think the CZs are going to be too heavy. Bergara maybe?
Unless you want to wait for the new Bergara BMR, the current B14R, steel or carbon barrel, are overweight.

I had one of the standard Ruger American Rimfire rifles, and it shot great. I would guess the target model would be a better shooter, but I don't know for sure.

Unless you want to wait for the new Bergara BMR, the current B14R, steel or carbon barrel, are overweight.

I had one of the standard Ruger American Rimfire rifles, and it shot great. I would guess the target model would be a better shooter, but I don't know for sure.
Ah, I thought the BMR model was available...Poop.

I'll look into the standard Ruger option, I thought having a thicker contour barrel of the target would help with the rapid fire stages.

Tikka T1X . Looks like you are describing CMP sporter rifle matches. It will be plenty accurate for that game. I don't use mine for CMP, I built a 10/22 for that purpose, and it's become my do-all 22.

Tikka T1X . Looks like you are describing CMP sporter rifle matches. It will be plenty accurate for that game. I don't use mine for CMP, I built a 10/22 for that purpose, and it's become my do-all 22.
It is the CMP sporter rifle matches, I'm looking at the T1x...maybe even waiting for the Bergara BMR to be released.

Sadly, my 10/22 is way over the weight limit. This gives me an excellent excuse to buy a bolt action 22.

T1X with a 16" barrel at 6#s even. Will they let you shoot with a variable with the power set at 6X and taped? A 20" is 6.4#s which wouldn't leave much room to 7.5#s. A new barrel would solve any weight problems if allowed.

Let us know what you choose and how it works out?

Hey all,

I need help choosing a new .22 rifle. I’m going to be taking part in some local rimfire matches. My current rimfire doesn’t meet the specifications for the competition at all. Below are the relevant competition rules for the matches, and beneath that is a couple personal preferences.

Rifle Restrictions. Rimfire Sporter Rifle Matches offer shooters a recreation-oriented competition where they use .22 caliber sporter rifles (plinking and small game rifles). Restrictions for rifles are few and simple. Rifles must weight 7.5 pounds or less with sights on, slings off and with one magazine (if the rifle has a detachable magazine). Triggers must be capable of lifting a 3.0 pound weight when cocked. Rifles may have a Monte Carlo cheek-piece, but may not have an adjustable cheek-piece or adjustable butt-plate. Sling swivels on the fore-end must be fixed and non-adjustable.

There are a couple classes of competition – the standard “O Class” for open-sighted rifles, “T-Class” for telescope sighted (6x maximum) and rear aperture sighted rifles. Firing for all classes is done at 50 and 25 yards on a target with a 1.78” ten-ring and an 18” outer one-ring.

So, it needs to be a sporter rifle, and now for my few preferences:
  • Bolt action
  • Threaded barrel (1/2 x 28) - Ideally
  • I have no preference for open sights or a scope.
  • All-in I’d like to spend $1k - $2k
  • No single shot, must be magazine fed.
Thanks,
John

At Camp Perry tech. inspection, they would weigh it, pick up a 3lb. weight with the trigger, and tape the scope if you had a variable. I'm not sure if the plastic T1X stock will bend with some sling tension and throw off your shots when it contacts the barrel. I've had that problem with other "tupperware" stocks. Some of the Boyds stocks laminated stocks are birch, I believe, so they are fairly light yet rigid.. I made weight with 10/22 with Boyds( used to be called Tacticool) stock, Green Mountain 17" heavy taper barrel, and Leupold 3x9 EFR mounted in light aluminum parts.