• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New here. All that I know, is that I know nothing.

IronSiteVisual

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2023
Outdoors
Gunsmithing student from MI, here to learn what I can and maybe share some pics of projects down the road. Not much experience with long range shooting, but lots of experience with shooting in general. Hoping to figure out how I can get more into the bolt action/long range scene and put some of the ballistics math I'm learning into practice at the range for fun. To be fair, I still need to find a range in my area that I can even shoot a decent distance at. But I figure this is the place to find answers, so I'll get there eventually. Going to be trying my hand at lapping scope rings and drilling/tapping a reciever for the first time soon, so that might be an interesting post coming soon.

Hello and welcome. Lapping scope rings is something to learn about, however mostly now completely redundant because of improved machine capabilities. It will eventually be one of those "lost art" skills, so very useful to know about.

Drilling and tapping a receiver is also something people take for granted. Drilling and tapping is one thing, having them lined up correctly to thr bore axis is a whole different issue.

Hello and welcome. Lapping scope rings is something to learn about, however mostly now completely redundant because of improved machine capabilities. It will eventually be one of those "lost art" skills, so very useful to know about.

Drilling and tapping a receiver is also something people take for granted. Drilling and tapping is one thing, having them lined up correctly to thr bore axis is a whole different issue.
It's true that so much is done automatically these days. I recently saw a CNC machine being sold specifically for drilling and tapping holes, but it was 30 grand which is way above the kind of budget I'll have for tools anytime soon. For now this will be kind of a proof of concept project with hand tools to get myself familiarized with eberything that it takes to properly align things. As you said, "lost art" skills are always good to have in the back pocket as well.

Reactions: iceng