• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Here- Give Your Opinion On Savage Rifles

savage77

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2009
Indiana
Hello everyone. Im new here to this forum. Im curious as to what the consencus is on Savage rifles. I have owned 2 model 10's which I eventually sold off for whatever reason. I have decided to get back into it and purchased a new model 10 last weekend. They have changed the crappy plastic stock but it is unfortunatley still a crappy piece of tupperware. Im currently waiting on a Bell and Carlson Medalist. Should be here tuesday. I was always happy with the accuracy I got out of my 10fp's. Cosmetically they arent "nice" rifles but its my opinion they cant be beat for the price. What do you guys think?

Re: New Here- Give Your Opinion On Savage Rifles

Please do a search. You will find that a lot of SH members are pleased with theirs.

Yes, there was a recent thread actually very similar. Consensus says: Savages are good to go. I'm shopping for glass for my new savage, 10fp with HSPrecision stock. Once you get rid of the tupperware you'll love it.

All of the Savage Rifles I've owned have been absolute tack drivers. I presently own 4 different Savage Rifles and have a new Savage BAS/K arriving Tuesday. They are well built and very accurate firearms. This is just my .02.

Take care,
Matt

Thanks for the responses. Im new here and havent quite figured out the search function. Trying to learn the layout of the site. I would like someday to buy a "high end" rifle but I dont have the money for a GAP or surgeon rifle which I would like. Being a recreational shooter I also want to know what you get for the difference in price. My savages have easliy shot .75 moa and sometimes better. Is there a real practical difference between the savages and the hgher end guns or is it just looks?

If you ever get a chance pic up a custom bolt rifle,you will notice the differance right away. Picking up a 12 bvss on tuesday, can't wait to warm her up

Savage rifles (at least any that I have owned) have been sub-MOA out of the box, and with a little put into the them they can perform even better. I've owned both factory Savages and Remington's, and have been very satisfied with both as far as their accuracy. But do not mistake either one as being equal to a GAP or Surgeon. As they come from the factory, I don't think either would perform on that level. That said, either can be made to perform that well. Savage is slowly catching up in the area of aftermarket products, and with the right changes (new stock, bedding, truing the action, etc.) any factory rifle can be made to perform better. The difference is whether you by a custom rifle with everything already done, or by a factory rifle and have the work done later.

Besides the looks of a savage the only other bitch i have ever heard was from the bench rest guys. They claim that the savage has a very slow lock time. What that matters i am not sure. Thats just what i have heard. I have tossed the idea around more than once about buying one,but i just cant get past the looks of them! Its no secrete they shoot good but so does some of the other factory offerings. I like my rem 700's Lee

still unsure what evryone has against tupperware...mine shoots great. if the lock time is slow im not noticing. love accutrigger. doubt ill ever own a true custum rig but i dont feel embarrassed of my groups. i did own a remy 700 police but grouped really poor. traded it.

Hmmm... I think my Savage looks sexy. I guess the saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is true. She's not only pretty but she shoots good also. You wont be disappointed. Also check out Sharpshooterssupply.com for all your Savage needs.

IMG_0288-1.jpg

I have a Savage 93 in 17 HMR lefty action and the accutrigger. I bought it for 2 reasons.

1) I'm a southpaw
2) I walked out for almost 30% off retail because the guy who ordered it backed off and it sat for 6 months.

My experience with only 65 rounds down the tube thus far are

1) It's a tack driver in complete stock trim.
2) 17 HMR is expensive rimfire ammo LOL

I am waiting for a Model 12 with a Choate stock and Simmons glass in 204 Ruger to get here. If it shoots like the 17 did out of the box, I'll be happy.

I see no reason to replace the accu-trigger on my 17 just yet, and for now I am not planning to replace the one on the 204 unless I find it lacking later on. It's not a BR gun, just a 300 yard woodchuck hunter.

Ive got a 12 F-class in 6.5-284 thats the first Savage rifle Ive ever owned. And cant belive how accurate it is even with the factory barrel.

As a matter of fact, it actually kinda makes me sick that it being bone stock will outshoot my custom barreled 6mm BR and .243AI!!

Also, keep in mind the 12 F-class is the target action with a benchrest style stock. where as my others rifles have tactical style stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">still unsure what evryone has against tupperware...mine shoots great. if the lock time is slow im not noticing. love accutrigger. doubt ill ever own a true custum rig but i dont feel embarrassed of my groups. i did own a remy 700 police but grouped really poor. traded it. </div></div>

ive only got 1 savage still in the tupperware. when i dry fire it off a bipod the crosshairs bounce 1/2moa. my wood stocked, and HS precision stocked savages are are rock solid off the bipod.

w tuned loads the tupperware gun doesnt shoot larger groups though, so mebbe im just too picky....

Their accuracy can't be argued with, but I remain unimpressed.

For the money, I'd rather have a Remington as it's a much more solid gun. The Savages are nice, but for the amount of money I stick into my rigs the base action cost is almost a non-issue. The trigger and firing pin work, but I don't like them. The floating bolt head and barrel-nut work well and I believe they contribute to the Savage's accuracy, but the extra moving parts are a hinderance to me.

-matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Besides the looks of a savage <span style="font-weight: bold">the only other bitch i have ever heard was from the bench rest guys. They claim that the savage has a very slow lock time. What that matters i am not sure. </span>Thats just what i have heard. I have tossed the idea around more than once about buying one,but i just cant get past the looks of them! Its no secrete they shoot good but so does some of the other factory offerings. I like my rem 700's Lee </div></div>

"Lock-time" is defined as the "time interval between sear release and the firing-pin striking the primer".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monteboy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Their accuracy can't be argued with, but I remain unimpressed.

For the money, I'd rather have a Remington as it's a much more solid gun. The Savages are nice, but for the amount of money I stick into my rigs the base action cost is almost a non-issue. The trigger and firing pin work, but I don't like them. The floating bolt head and barrel-nut work well and I believe they contribute to the Savage's accuracy, but the extra moving parts are a hinderance to me.

-matt </div></div>

just curious, but what hinders about the extra moving parts? I always saw the barrel nut as a plus since it allows for quick barrel changes

I own three Savages now. All built by me on used actions. My 7mm/08 22" factory barrel on a 110 action in a fully bedded/floated barrel channel walnut stock from Brownell gave me 100 yards groups of .632" with Nosler 120 grain BT's and Varget. I just finished a 6mm Norma BR on a Stevens 200 Short Action Centerfeed. It's in a factory BVSS stock and mounts a Mueller 8.5X2544AO scope. Started load development for it using Lapua brass and Sierra 95 and 107 grain match pills. My last one is a 260 Rem Varmint weight barrel on a stagger feed 110 action. Duramax stock is glass bedded. Scoped with a Nikon 6X18X40 SF. It's grouping 140 grain BTHP Sierras and Varget powder into .398" at 100 yards. Next build will be a heavy barrel 308 on an older 110 action with 3 screw trigger. Guess you could say I'm hooked on Savage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Besides the looks of a savage the only other bitch i have ever heard was from the bench rest guys. They claim that the savage has a very slow lock time. What that matters i am not sure. Thats just what i have heard. I have tossed the idea around more than once about buying one,but i just cant get past the looks of them! Its no secrete they shoot good but so does some of the other factory offerings. I like my rem 700's Lee </div></div>Funny...I have heard the exact opposite.

From here a Savage short action is said to be 1.65ms,
http://www.savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=10153.0
from here 1.68ms,
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/6mmbr/show_single_post?pid=22982861&postcount=5
here Savage 110 listed as 2.7ms (I'm guessing long action) and Rem 700 long action listed as 3.0ms and short action 2.6ms
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=229541&page=2

Anyone have anything showing the Savage having a longer lock time than the Rem?

For the money I think the remy out performs the savage hands down. I've owned both.

From the factory,I doubt it. Savage got some pretty damn good f-class models and take a look at the LE Models,includes a new 20 barrel,Now this stuff is factory stock,does Remington have anything like it?

My 20" 10fp and LTR were about the same. A slight edge to my 10fp on accuracy but fit, finish, and feel goes to the LTR. My factory Winchester M70 HBV beats them both.

Now my gap makes them all cry with envy.

I've had my savage f/tr (308) for a year now and place in the top of mid range (600yd) competitions most of the time. Put over a thousand rounds down the tube and no sign of loss in accuracy. I would recommend this rifle in a heartbeat.

Normally, I'm a Remington guy...I just tend to gravitate towards that style of rifle. However, I won a savage a while ago at an auction and I have been really impressed with it so far. Accurate, Reliable, and some pretty good craftsmanship. I think you'll be very happy with the gun when it's all set up.

I like 'em, I especially like the way they respond to the market, and my only quibble is that they seem to have lost some of their lower price advantage. IMHO, lock time becomes more of an issue with unsupported rifles and shots at movers. For BR, I don't se locktime as a key issue.

I have a savage 112bvss in .308, and I love it. their factory accutrigger is ok too. the only thing I've done to mine is a timney trigger. I shoot it mostly @ 1-500 yards. I haven't bedded it yet because it'll shoot one ragged hole @ 100yd all day with my handloads the way it sits now

I have 4 Savages and they are all excellent shooters. The aftermarket support is getting better but my issue with the company is they keep changing around stuff like the action screw spacings & now you have staggerfeed, centerfeed and detachable mags (but only one maker of bottom metal for them, which I'm working on changing that). Now they have this Accustock deal that will surely put another hitch in aftermarket stockmaker's plans. Changes like this are why we probably won't ever see an AICS chassis for the Savage platform. I'm sure the Accustock is an improvement over the tupperware stock, but a lot of folks like me don't care, the factory stock ends up in the garbage and a McMillan, HS, Manners, etc goes on it anyway. Just wish they'd leave well enough alone sometimes...

I have four of them. One 6mmbr with a pacnor and douglas barrels, The others are 223 12 BVSS and a 204 wildcat, and a 22-250 sporter.

They all shoot great. My Remmy's are nicer as far as timing, bolt lift, appearance and such.

I just sold an old Rem 700 BDL Varmint 222, that shot incredible for a factory setup, but my buddy said he had to have it.
smile.gif

Pieces of junk! If anybody has a 308 10 FCP with a Mcmillan A5 stock I will trade you my Rem700 SPS Tac with an HS LTR take off stock and a Vais and Badger bold knob installed. Let me know.

My first rifle was a Savage 10fp bought at Wal-Mart. Through on a SS 10x scope and went to town reloading. I've shot nearly 1000 rounds through it and have gone from shooting 10 inch groups to now under 1" as a norm. I honestly can't say much if anything about a Remington 700 from long term experience but I don't think you will go wrong getting a Savage. I've only handled a Remington a few times and thought it was o.k. but liked my Savage better. It was mine. Easy to work/experiment on. Easy to upgrade. Great community forums. Safe. Accurate. Sturdy. Its just a good rifle. I've since built three others. My wife now shoots what is left of that 10fp, now built as a 243 thumbhole stocked deer rifle. If you like to do things yourself, get a Savage. If you like to pay others to do work for you, get a Remington or other Remington clone.

Mike

Well, I am damn pleased with mine!! The only thing that I have against it is, I don't care for the blind centerfeed magazine. Other than that, no complaints at all...

DK

100_7950.jpg

I don't know why people think they are ugly, It's no GAP, but I think mine looks pretty mean. Shoots great too.

Just curios, what do the "benchresters" find ugly about them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curios, what do the "benchresters" find ugly about them?</div></div>

If you spent several thousand dollars on a custom and got your arse handed to you by a stock savage you wouldn't care for them either .

As always just because you have a nice set of pots and pans dosen't mean you can cook.

I bought my first Savage and wound up clearing out the Remmies for more .
model 12LPV 300WSM restocked to BVSS, model 12 BVSS 22-250 , BTV 22lr, and the mutt originally a model 116 in .270 now a long action 243 the only thing original is the reciever and bolt.

Mike

I have two and love em' both! I'm planning on adding a 3rd to my colection very soon. What's not to like about a Savage? They are a very good rifle for the money and will give a number of custom sticks a run for their money.