• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New here....... Remington 5R in 308............

CMHouchins

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2010
Anderson, Indiana
Hello, I am new here but post many other places as Noble Sniper over the net. Am seriously thinking about getting a Remington 5R in 308. Possibly restocking it and of course will be using a Leupold scope. What are the pro's and con's to the 5R? Would like to know before I go dumping cash into one. Have heard alot of positive comments on them thus far and would like to hear some more first hand experiences. Thanks
wink.gif

Re: New here....... Remington 5R in 308............

Great rifle for the money, but I would chose another scope. Check out the optics area for some other suggestions.

I havent seen anyone with one, but they look bad to the bone! I would love to have an M24 grade barrel. Plus, the Remington is one of the easiest build up bases out there. You can change anything you dont like about it later.

Good Luck

Re: New here....... Remington 5R in 308...........

Go Nightforce, Leupy's quality control sucks monkey tits. If you already have the Leupy, sell it and buy a Nightforce.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leupy's quality control sucks monkey tits.</div></div>It most certainly does not: I AM Leupold's quality control, and I have never done that.
grin.gif

Do an advance search on here and you might find what you are looking for. I know sometimes it is easier to see it from another perspective.

You can't go wrong with a Remington 5R milspec. They are great rifles right out of the box. There is a lot of load data that members have posted on here also.

Welcome to the Hide. You filled out your profile thats GTG, do a search and you'll find this topic is pretty commonly talked about.

5R is good rifle, the H&S stock is pretty nice also for OEM. Probably the best out of the box accurate Remmy. Look around you can find some decent deals on them. Buy the rifle, scope it, and shoot it. After you have shot it for a bit then you can decide what to do afterward.

Here is a good write up that been out there a while
\ 5R

I personally have one and enjoy, though mine doesn't really resemble one anymore after it was chopped, threaded, and cerakoted.

suppresor001.jpg

I had a 5R in 308 as my last rifle purchase. I love the platform, although if you are going to use it for any application that involves hunting or actual police use, you will need to paint the action and barrel at minimum as the stainless has quite a bit of glare.

I would recommend that if you are going to get a rifle soon, maybe wait two months on buying the scope if you can and get a Vortex Viper PST when it releases in June.

Also note that there is a LOT of hype about the 5R. The original 700SS 5Rs were a way for remington to deal with surplus / slightly out of spec 5R barrels. Today's 5Rs are limited runs sold off-catalog based on 5R barrel stock on hand. There is little modern relationship to the M24 platform from what I am led to believe by my conversations with a few folks at Remington.

Rifle1.jpg

Rifle2.jpg

Rifle3.jpg

Valdada_Base.jpg

I would also change glass, look around in the optic section like Jason said. Make up your mind with something else.... Just not leupold. Leupold isn't what they used to be.

Thanks for the replies and the concerns on Leupold.......real shame because it used to be you were shooting junk unless you had one
wink.gif
Thanks again!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CMHouchins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replies and the concerns on Leupold.......real shame because it used to be you were shooting junk unless you had one
wink.gif
Thanks again!! </div></div>

Yeah, my hunting buddy has a luppy made back in the day and it still goes strong, they arent what they used to be.

After doing alot of research, I bought a 5R as my first bolt action rifle. I'm extremely happy with it. This gun is way ahead of my abilities in the accuracy department and I shoot it very well. It will just make me better as I continue to shoot it. I like that about it.

1zv3n15.jpg

There are a few of them for sale in the for sale section. You may be able to get a good price for one.

Thanks
wink.gif
SO whats the dirt on US Optics scopes????? I am basically looking at a stock 5r in 308 with a McMillan A-4 stock, Badger rings and bases as well as their trigger guard and 10 round mag for starters.......
wink.gif

Sounds like a good set up there. US Optics scopes are one of the top tiers scopes. I understand that there is a wait, don't know how long. Always try to scan the for sale section. Never know when you are going to come across one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a good set up there. US Optics scopes are one of the top tiers scopes. I understand that there is a wait, don't know how long. Always try to scan the for sale section. Never know when you are going to come across one. </div></div>

US Optics are an excellent choice and have really high levels of quality.

Today's modern optics market has a lot of quality offerings that dont require neccessarily getting into that $3k tier unless you really need that extra 3-5% of clarity.

So a question I would pose to you is how is your shooting ability? What range are you shooting at? Most mid-range scopes can easily get you to 1000 yards. Are you REALLY going to make use of the small incremental improvement that takes you from a $1500 scope to a $3000+ scope?

Some people really do need that extra little bit. Myself? Not so much. I have moderate talent and most of my shooting is only out to 800 yards anyway so something like a Viper PST is going to meet my needs.

Sometimes we get carried away that some piece of equipment has to be the absolute best it can be and spend gobs of money when the reality is that the person just wont benefit from it. If you want a US Optics scope, great! Just make sure you are buying it for the right reasons -- and that you understand WHY you are buying it!

As I said in my previous post mine does not look like a 5R anymore, when I get it back from William I will post pictures for you. It is being bedded in a Manners T4 with Seekins DBM, and a US Optics 3.2-17 TPal on top in Badgers.

Thanks
wink.gif
I talked to my shooting partner tonight. He does alot of long range shooting with 338 lapua's............ May up the ante a bit and go with either a 300 win mag or possibly a remington 338 lapua. Leaning stronger towards the 300 win mag though.......... still got some reading and deciding to do on the scopes though. Apprecaite all the replies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CMHouchins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks
wink.gif
I talked to my shooting partner tonight. He does alot of long range shooting with 338 lapua's............ May up the ante a bit and go with either a 300 win mag or possibly a remington 338 lapua. Leaning stronger towards the 300 win mag though.......... still got some reading and deciding to do on the scopes though. Apprecaite all the replies. </div></div>

I was in the same boat and might still be. I wanted a 700P in .338L but can't find one at a decent price. A 700P in 300WM or the 5R might be the way I go until I get enough saved up for a custom .338L.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CMHouchins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks
wink.gif
I talked to my shooting partner tonight. He does alot of long range shooting with 338 lapua's............ May up the ante a bit and go with either a 300 win mag or possibly a remington 338 lapua. Leaning stronger towards the 300 win mag though.......... still got some reading and deciding to do on the scopes though. Apprecaite all the replies. </div></div>

Going from a 308 to a 338 LM is a huge difference. Unless you are shooting well over 1500 yards everytime, the 338LM is not a cheap cartridge to shoot often. I shoot more of my 300 WM than my 338LM.

the 300 is the way to go if you dont reload but if you do reload 338 isnt that bad....... and another think are you planning on shooting past 1000 yards ? why the need for that much extra ? i was reading a bunch of long range shooting web site last night and i seen a few articles that say there are plenty of snipers shooting out to 1200 with a .308 and doing fine...... for paper is it worth it ? .308 is gonna be cheaper than .300 and .338.
just my .2 cents .

All good advice here. I have a GAP in .300WM and the 5R in .308. As said before, unless you really have the distance, time, and funds to support the belted magnums I recommend you stick with the .308 (for now). Keep in mind that a box of Federal Gold match .300WM 190's is about $49.00 (My .300 doesn't go "bang" it goes "Cha-ching! Cha-ching!". My 5R is still in the original configuration and outshoots my abilities every time. Keep it stock for a while, shoot your buddies rifles with different stocks and optics to make an informed decision. We all get the fever and end up with a $5,000.00 14lb rifle that might only shoot 1/10th M.O.A better than when we started and there are few shooters that can actually see/shoot the difference. When you get behind a rifle with your perfect setup you'll just know. It goes right to your shoulder pocket, the length of pull will be right, the cheek-weld will be such that your eye centers on the optic EVERY-TIME without squirming around to find the eye relief, your finger just lays right to the trigger and you just sorta "merge" with it. Before you know it it's like walking; you don't think about it, you just.....Walk.

O.K, back to work. Unfortunately that same logic does not apply to desk chairs.