• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New hip!

diverdon

Constitutionalist, by choice
Minuteman
  • Dec 21, 2011
    WNY
    Had my left hip replaced yesterday. The old one was really limiting me. These days you get to go home the day of Surgery.

I guess with about 20 hours into it I have far less pain than expected.

Walking with a old man walker. It's less pain than the old hip was.

Attachments

• 20201015_111504.jpg
      20201015_111504.jpg
      423.7 KB · Views: 36
    Congratulations. Had mine done in August of last year. I had worn a hole in the socket. They had me walking the same day and went home the next. Seven months in and I usually dont feel it at all. One piece of advice, DO THE PHYSICAL THERAPY...ALL OF IT. It makes a big difference. One other thing, dont rush it, do what you can do but take time for it to heal completely before you push it too much.

I'll do the therapy. My wife is here to make sure. PT is due in 15 minutes.
    Another thing, the reason it doesnt hurt so much is all the anesthesia doesnt wear off too quickly. They likely gave you a femoral block and that takes a day or so to clear. The pain will come but its not too bad just be careful with the pain meds, take what you need but as little as possible.

Had a displaced break in my left femur in 2018 which required installation of pins, plates and screws. Now my right hip is starting to hurt like a bitch probably from compensating from the break. Probably will need to have it replaced but hesitant since the surgery beat the crap out my leg and the recovery was long and painful.

Mine was done last Thursday, a unbelievable difference, walking third day with cane. The hard part for me is going to be to pace it to let it heal and then going slowly enough so I don't get set back. So nice to sleep during the night. Should of done this last summer but boy was I stubborn about having it done. Good luck, Diverdon
    Idahoorion

Had a displaced break in my left femur in 2018 which required installation of pins, plates and screws. Now my right hip is starting to hurt like a bitch probably from compensating from the break. Probably will need to have it replaced but hesitant since the surgery beat the crap out my leg and the recovery was long and painful.
    I broke the femur in 1961. The hip has been going downhill since. I put it off as long as I could because I'm hoping it'll last.

Good news!!!

Make sure those jerks put you on some kind of blood thinner.
    Some have been missing that. My aunt just ended up with DVT in each leg.
    said the one leg hurt about the same orworse than the surgical pain. Improved on day 7 of Eliquis.

even with walking and PT, most arent as active for a while.

Seems most do it for 14-21 days depending on patient.
    some do pills, some do shots into the belly fat.

Best wishes !!!

I broke the femur in 1961. The hip has been going downhill since. I put it off as long as I could because I'm hoping it'll last.

Damn. That's a long time to live with it. No wonder it hurts less now!

The newer stuff I've been told up to 40 years. I'll be damn surprised if I anyone would need a second one after 40. My grandfather put it off too, and had a heart attack less than 15 years after they told him 30 year parts. He was the bionic man, with hips, knees, ankles, shoulders, and elbows all done in a 5 year period.

Most of the time, fracture recovery is much worse than joint replacement.
    From what patients have told me anyways.
    Its a drive, and I know some darn good hip guys here in Denver. Lots of work for active and athletic folks.
    And there is a specialty hospital that does only ortho. So they are extra good at it.

That was a road bike crash wasnt it? seems I remember tidbits of the story...
    Or my old man mind just thinks so! 🤣

Reactions: diverdon
    Had mine done 4 years ago, best thing I ever did. I live with pain for 5 years and the day I had the surgery no pain ever again. Find a good surgeon who does the Anterior approach, meaning thru the front of of the hip. Don't let them cut up your ass muscles and recovery is easy day's.

Reactions: kimbergoldmatch
    Good news!!!

said the one leg hurt about the same orworse than the surgical pain. Improved on day 7 of Eliquis.

Best wishes !!!
    I farging hate needles with a passion. But........when I had my hips done, I did my own thinner injections. Once I got past the first one, they were simple. Some of them I didn't even feel. Having said that, the needles were tiny tiny, which I'm sure made a huge difference.

Its a drive, and I know some darn good hip guys here in Denver. Lots of work for active and athletic folks.
    And there is a specialty hospital that does only ortho. So they are extra good at it.

It was a bike crash and sometimes trying to stay healthy has consequences :confused:. Between playing hockey, weight lifting and cycling developed a lot of muscle mass in my legs and surgeon had a tough time getting to the break to repair it. Surgeon told me it took him twice as long to do the surgery as usual and beat me up in the process. Leg looked like a multi-colored watermellon after surgery and DVT was a concern. Home nurse checked my leg daily for several weeks afterward.

leg.jpg

but you have to shoot with gun mounted through the sides and at a 90 degree angle so you can see through the scope through the small opening under the hand rest and above that support bar. no bags.
    I'll Velcro a inch of harder foam rubber to front of chassis.

My dad has scored one of each. It's a bit difficult to accurately compare the two because they happened 16 years apart and there are some additional health factors that led to the fall which broke his hip, but the fracture certainly appears to have been far more difficult recovery.

When he had the first replacement, he was on a small amount of morphine but was certain that it wasn't doing anything for/to him... until they removed it a couple days afterwards, and he was absolutely certain that they moved him to a different room overnight :LOL:

A buddy of mine got his replaced about 18 months ago in his early 40s due to degenerative joint disease, and he's back to kicking ass better than back when we were in high school. It just took him several months of working through the discomfort, but he's a tough guy and made it look easy.

Good news!!!

Best wishes !!!
    Thanks those are great points I'm on two blood thinners and toeless calf high compression socks. And have been given four simple excersizes to do once per hour to keep blood moving in legs.

Reactions: powdahound76
    My anecdotal observations besides just patients stories seem to line up with it too.

One old friend had horrible knees from being super bow legged. Replacements in. 2 weeks after surgery on the first one, she said the pain was better than before and was not needing meds!

got the second one a few months later and is loving life!

Reactions: E. Bryant
    Thanks those are great points I'm on two blood thinners and toeless calf high compression socks. And have been given four simple excersizes to do once per hour to keep blood moving in legs.
    Not just blood moving.
    there is a micro hormone released from the vessels during muscle use to help keep from clotting too.
    thats why they use those pneumatic calf squeezers in the hospital.

A lot of nurses never tell patients that.
    I always feel the most knowledge available is best. Then people know why stuff is really an important part of their care.
    They just go with the easy answer and move on.

Had my left hip replaced yesterday. The old one was really limiting me. These days you get to go home the day of Surgery.

I guess with about 20 hours into it I have far less pain than expected.

Walking with a old man walker. It's less pain than the old hip was.
    Wishing you a Speedy and full recovery

Stay with it and wear those compression socks even though they are a PITA. Keep moving and start PT as early as doc says and follow it to the letter. Setting goals helps with progressing with PT. Told my therapist my goal was to ride Iron Horse in ten months and although he thought I was crazy we made a plan. Made the pain he put me through worthwhile. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Get well quick! This getting old shit ain't for the weak of heart...
    Dude, no joke. You gotta be fucking hard man.

Been going through surgeries for the last five+ years, I've really lost count now. My feet are totally fucked up. I sure hope your hip heals up well without any problems. They've come a long way there.

Get well quick! This getting old shit ain't for the weak of heart...
    Dude, no joke. You gotta be fucking hard man.

Been going through surgeries for the last five+ years, I've really lost count now. My feet are totally fucked up. I sure hope your hip heals up well without any problems. They've come a long way there.

Whew!

Im Maggot and I endorse these statements.