• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

!!! new Hodgedon powder new load data Update 1/21 !!!!!

deepsix++

regular guy
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2017
California
some of you may have seen on there FB page they teased two new powders to the StaBall line , any one in the know have info on them. they said they would reveille them at a convention last month but no follow up announcement online

Reactions: 338dude
I was like many a folk who used h4350 in my 6.5 but then I started using StaBall6.5 and its just as good in many respects . plus its domestically made in Florida so its actually in stock regularly , my hope is that they are releasing a substitute for h1000 and retumbo , that would be huge as whatever this powder is ,it would be made on shore and available regularly

Still waiting , I can't find a update .

1668601666580.png

did you find that ball/spherical powders are less precise than extruded powders?
if your talking about how well they meter when weighing powder charges . ball powders are far superior to stick in those terms . staking efficiency of spheroids is going to be better than cylinders . so ya they are very precise for metering out charge weights

Likely what was discussed in this thread and the linked article:

Reactions: MarinePMI
Likely what was discussed in this thread and the linked article:

I really hope so

and the other:

ETA:
Based on the listed cartridges one faster and one slower than the original staball.

and the other:

ETA:
Based on the listed cartridges one faster and one slower than the original staball.
Ya I cant wait to try the HD in my 300 win mag . I remember 2 years ago I used 4350 in my 6.5 cm , was having pressure issues , and it was really hard to get those low sd's . Tried 6.5staball and haven't gone back since , I'm sorta having all the same issues with h1000 in the 300 so I'm hoping this new stuff will be just as good ! + you can't even fined h1000 any way so...

any one on the hide Know how to get in touch with some one at Hodgdon , maybe see if they can tell us any other details here on the thread maybe possibly...... please 😅

I just saw this and immediately came searching for a thread like this!

Very interesting........still haven't tried stabal65 in anything. But the magnum version sounds pretty sweet!

Now that Hodgdon has Ramshot under their umbrella they may have been able to develop these a little easier. I'm used a lot of Ramshot Magnum in .243 and 6mm Comp Match. I never had any issues with it between 50deg and 90deg. And it was sooooo clean burning compared to RL26 and even H1000. I wouldn't be surprised if they took some existing Ramshot formulas and just tweaked them for temp stability.

Hopefully the new powders work as well as they say... I'll be trying some for sure.

What really caught my attention in the linked article was production times for extruded vs ball powders... the article states what takes 2 weeks to produce in an extruded powder can be produced in 40 hours with the ball powder process.

The much faster production time along with the USA origin hopefully means it will be more readily available than most Hodgdon extruded powders have been for the last several years... I'm down to my last jug of H4895 for my .223AI heavy loads and I haven't been able to snag any more in well over a year.

Hopefully they add load data to their website shortly, be interesting to see the data.

Reactions: 6.5SH
Hopefully the new powders work as well as they say... I'll be trying some for sure.

What really caught my attention in the linked article was production times for extruded vs ball powders... the article states what takes 2 weeks to produce in an extruded powder can be produced in 40 hours with the ball powder process.

The much faster production time along with the USA origin hopefully means it will be more readily available than most Hodgdon extruded powders have been for the last several years... I'm down to my last jug of H4895 for my .223AI heavy loads and I haven't been able to snag any more in well over a year.

Hopefully they add load data to their website shortly, be interesting to see the data.
dude what state are you in , I have a little bit of H4895 that I will never use if you want it

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Pretty excited about these, 6.5 Staball has been excellent in 6.5 CM and .30-06. I heard rumours that there was a Varget-LVR speed Staball coming shortly after 6.5 came out been a little while, but I can't wait to try it in 6mm ARC, 6GT and .223. I'd heard (maybe in one of the other threads) that the Staball technology was different from Accu-flat even though they are both made by GD / St. Marks Inc, don't know if that's true.

If the Match version is decent it's going to be in pretty high demand given that it should match a lot of the cartridges high volume shooters are using, they seem to be able to keep 6.5 Staball on the shelves pretty well, hopefully that will carry over.

I’ve had great luck with 6.5, glad to see this!
Even though I have 15 pounds of 8208 to burn up, which will take me years. If I need another powder for 223, I’ll def give this a try

Reactions: lash
Instead of coming up with new powders, I would rather they made their current powders available
Well, wish in one hand, shit in the other and see which fills up first. In other words, new options are better than no options.

I like both of these new ones and would prefer that all you guys not try them so that I get a good steady supply. 😁😎

And such a great idea the powder companies keep going with these days, naming the powders very similar to increase the number of people blowing up their guns.

Reactions: Pootyng
And such a great idea the powder companies keep going with these days, naming the powders very similar to increase the number of people blowing up their guns.
Except these new names and labels actually tell you exactly what types of cartridges it is optimized for. What exactly did the random alphanumeric names tell you besides almost nothing?

Reloading is an activity requiring specialized knowledge and skill. As such, consumer item expectations do not apply. Powder can be named whatever and it is up to the end user to be able to differentiate between different types. I am sick and tired of people trying to dumb down out hobby. If you’re too stupid to reload, go do something else. There are plenty of other hobbies out there.

So the question is; is naming a product to identify it better a dumbing down move or a smart marketing move?

Discuss amongst yourselves…

1670786852380.gif

ETA: or is it a scary move for those that identify a powder by the color of the label? 😁

Reactions: Schütze
Reloading is an activity requiring specialized knowledge and skill. As such, consumer item expectations do not apply. Powder can be named whatever and it is up to the end user to be able to differentiate between different types. I am sick and tired of people trying to dumb down out hobby. If you’re too stupid to reload, go do something else. There are plenty of other hobbies out there.
So better labeling is dumbing down now?
old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif

Reactions: lash
6 months later they sike everyone out with a powder , that was only on shelves one time people love it , but it's never seen again as the gun powder elves refuse to make the stuff . The price goes through the roof the company makes boatloads of money , but no one can find the powder anywhere ever again .

Last edited:
Reactions: RS59
6 months later they sike everyone out with a powder that was on shelves one time people love it but it's never seen again as the gun powder elves refuse to make the stuff price goes through the roof the company makes boatloads of money but no one can find the powder anywhere .
Please translate as 918 has determined we are dumb and I don’t want to disappoint.

6 months later they sike everyone out with a powder , that was only on shelves one time people love it , but it's never seen again as the gun powder elves refuse to make the stuff . The price goes through the roof the company makes boatloads of money , but no one can find the powder anywhere ever again .
Staball 6.5 is available right now, so I’m gonna have hope on this one