• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

new home for savage

motodog

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2009
gillette wy
ok i just brought home a savage precision carbine,model 10,20"heavy barrel,1-10twist,accu-trigger,accu-stock.scope is a nikon 4-14 in leopold mounts for now.stock pack is on as well as bipod.ok for the new 308 owner what should i use for the first 20 or so rounds guys.i dont have crap for reloading a 308 yet but that will follow. thanks and i will put up range report when i get her to the range.

Re: new home for savage

The same thing you use if it had 8000 rounds through it.
Your ammo of choice.

See if you can find a load with Sierra 175 matchkings or the like and see how they do for you.

awsome thats funny im friggin excited to get her shootin.thanks for the input.

Was not sure if you were asking about break-in...which I don't do on my weapons.

That should be a 1-10 twist barrel and will shoot well with bullets up to about 210-220 grains.
I use mostly 175 Matchkings or Hornady 178 Amax's in my 1-10 twist barrels and they do fine.
you can certainly use less expensive ammo with lighter bullets, especially if you do not intend to shoot more than a few hundred yards.

I like to clean my weapons after a day of shooting, but sometimes neglect them for longer. Many here let theirs go for hundreds of rounds before cleaning again.

It is a good idea to do a light cleaning of the bore when new just to be sure any garbage or chips left in the barrel are clear before the first firing.

Enjoy the new rifle!

sweet thanks a ton. i like to shoot the hell out of mine also.i just wasnt sure of where to start with bullet weights and so on. i want to buy some factory ammo and shoot that so i got the brass for reloading to get me started.i was shooting out at 550yrds today with the 7mm and 223 on milk jugs. and this thing you fellows do to people just smacked me in the head hard so i bought this 308 for some more long range shooting.you bastards have givin me the bug for long range shootin.thanks a ton for the info guys. all jokin aside i really apreciate the help.

motodog

look in the for sale section also. there are a few guys selling FGMM (federal gold medal match) which would be a better choice to reload. there may be some smaller quantities available of that and a few other brands so you can see what your rifle likes. try 168g also. one easy way is to look thru a midway catalog and see all the types and brands of match ammo there and just take a chance and buy one of each. after sighting in with some cheaper stuff. if your town is like mine, i dont have easy access to match or similar quality ammo. i reload for that reason. have fun and take pictures

hey axe thanks for the input. we got pretty good access for most anything.i will try some match stuff for sure i would recon that it would be the best brass to get me started reloading for 308. hell i got plenty of 7mm stuff for trading now.thanks for your help.

look in the for sale for good match brass too. be patient cause the moment you buy something, something better posts there, lol. but crod1972 sells alot of brass. look him up in the members list (top of the page) and shoot him a pm when ready. i got some match brass from hornady and black hills for a decent price. he is gtg