New home gym design - Any thoughts/experience with Rogue/Sorinex/Rep Fitness racks.

TangoSierra916

Major Hide Member
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2017
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hey everyone,

Did a search on the brand names in the title and didn't find much. Anyone here have experience with any of the 3 brands as far as a squat rack/rig and other gear is concerned?

The home gym will be roughly 13 ft by 16ft with 9ish ft ceiling height. Trying to use space effectively while not sacrificing strength of the setup. Was looking at the wall mounted setups of each but dont want to go with a setup that may damage the wall when the freestanding is only a bit more $.

any pictures or insight would help, thank you!

ZiaHunter

Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Nov 25, 2012
    Southern NM
    My daughter is really into crossfit and has been doing it doing it for a number of years. Her gym has quite a bit of Rogue equipment and she likes it. She has been working from home due to C-19 and her gym has been closed as well. We installed Rogue equipment at her house so she can continue to work out.

TangoSierra916

Major Hide Member
    Hessian
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2017
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh very nice, if you don’t mind me asking what equipment did she go with? I’ve been researching cages and there are quite a few options lol.

One1Bravo

Ops4
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Jul 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have all Rogue equipment and love it. I have the Rogue RML-390BT rack, adjustable bench, Ohio power bar, GH1 GHD, loadable dumbells, curl bar, some rack accessories, bands, plates etc. They frequently run specials where if you spend $X they'll ship for free which in my case saved me about $600.

JRaven

Private
    Hessian
    Minuteman
    Mar 4, 2013
    ATX
    I own 2 Sorinex base camp racks and a lat/low pull from Sorinex plus a few pieces from Westside barbell. I cant say enough good stuff about Sorinex's equipment. I joke that my kid's kids will bang weights on those racks. For barbells I really like kabuki strength. One day I will have a full set of Iron Grip Dumbbells. And I did pick up a nice piece of Hammer Strength from a gym that OB during COVID.

But you cant go wrong with Rogue - I have an echo bike that looks to be indestructible.

I always feel like gym equipment is like optics. How are you going to use it? How often you going to use it? How heavy are you training? And you get what you pay for.

EGwhisper

Blaster
    Banned !
    Minuteman
    Feb 14, 2017
    I built my own recently for $382 excluding paint, including a bench frame to hold the Rep FB-5000 pad.

It is based off the Rogue RML-690. Shortened the extension height due to my own height, and shortened overall length to just long enough to provide plate storage without making more cumbersome and space-taking than needed.

Drilled holes on mill, would have laser cut at the fab shop I buy steel from if I did it again. Purchased a Rogue socket pull up bar, made two sets of Jcups with UHMWPE protection.

Rogue's was out of stock, I didn't want to pay $1700 plus their stupid $300 to ship it 200 miles, and at the end of the day it's just a tool for working out and spent my savings on weight and barbells.

IMG_1876.jpgIMG_1874.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

srt-4_uk

Private
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Aug 6, 2011
    Nebraska
    BTW fuck Rogue and I am so happy I didn't make a major purchase with them. A company that got it's start from Mil/LE that is now a "BLM" company. Fired their CEO just for saying "Floyd-19" or something small and dumb.
    It's really silly to not like Rogue over something they didn't do.

Rogue stuff is really good and will last many lifetimes of hard use.

TangoSierra916

Major Hide Member
    Hessian
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2017
    Milwaukee, WI
    It's really silly to not like Rogue over something they didn't do.

Rogue stuff is really good and will last many lifetimes of hard use.
    From what I read it was the ceo of CrossFit and not Rogue that commented and resigned.

Rogue gear does seem nice I’m just working with A 90” ceiling so most of the racks won’t clear sadly.

srt-4_uk

Private
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Aug 6, 2011
    Nebraska
    Have you looked into a yoke instead of a rack? If you move to a place with taller ceilings and get a taller rack, a yoke is still really useful. If you did the same with a short rack, the short rack becomes a waste.

JRaven

Private
    Hessian
    Minuteman
    Mar 4, 2013
    ATX
    There is a lot more to the story but Glassman is a massive POS for many reasons beyond his recent callous statements.

Rogue probably just saw an opportunity to separate from a toxic environment. Their equipment is solid.

EGwhisper

Blaster
    Banned !
    Minuteman
    Feb 14, 2017
    From what I read it was the ceo of CrossFit and not Rogue that commented and resigned.

Rogue gear does seem nice I’m just working with A 90” ceiling so most of the racks won’t clear sadly.
    You are right that is my mistake and confusion.

padronanniversary

Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    I have a Sorinex XL power rack along with their iron bear storage and a full set of center mass bells. Can’t say enough about how solid this rack is. I do have a lot of Rogue items like a power bar, ohio bar, and lots of their plates.

Sorinex racks are pricey, but by the time you add the different options to the Rogue racks you are pretty close. The downside is the shipping and lead time, but right now lead time is pretty hard for any rack mfg.

Elite SA yoke is the standard. Kabuki trap bar is phenomenal. Also keep in mind the distance between posts. 41” for Sorinex and one other mfg. 43”for Rogue and others. Some specialty bars may not clear the smaller size. Plus for the smaller retailing you have more space.

Decide if you want 3x3 or 2x3 posts the. go from there. Look at availability of attachments. There are many pros cons to each mfg for attachments

Also look into Ghost mfg.

Lastly support American companies .... don’t buy Titan or Rep if you can

And get the monolift, wish I had that for benching when I was young. It saves on your shoulder joint.

ntrinsik

Private
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Jul 19, 2017
    WI
    I have a Rogue RM-3. Wish I spent the extra on the RM-4 but that can be fixed later. Buy during the $5 shipping on Black Friday if that’s a concern for you. 7519CFC5-761B-4FDD-B605-EC6A6B453FD1.jpeg

Reactions: TangoSierra916

TangoSierra916

Major Hide Member
    Hessian
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2017
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have a Rogue RM-3. Wish I spent the extra on the RM-4 but that can be fixed later. Buy during the $5 shipping on Black Friday if that’s a concern for you. View attachment 7350158
    that’s an awesome setup!!! I would love a Rogue rack but the issue with the new home gym will be ceiling height. Rogue doesn’t seem to offer any full 4 post rack under 90”, my ceiling height in the basement due to a tray ceiling is exactly 90”. So I may need to cut it down just didn’t want to do that to a new rack. I’ve also really been looking at the rep fitnessPr-5000 since it’s 80” tall.

@padronanniversary - I would love the Sorinex they are phenomenal but there setups won’t clear the basement ceiling sadly. Sweet setup though!!!

TangoSierra916

Major Hide Member
    Hessian
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2017
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have all Rogue equipment and love it. I have the Rogue RML-390BT rack, adjustable bench, Ohio power bar, GH1 GHD, loadable dumbells, curl bar, some rack accessories, bands, plates etc. They frequently run specials where if you spend $X they'll ship for free which in my case saved me about $600.
    that sounds like a great setup! If you dont mind me asking which plates did you go with and why? (next decision)

One1Bravo

Ops4
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Jul 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    that sounds like a great setup! If you dont mind me asking which plates did you go with and why? (next decision)
    I got the Rogue steel Olympic plates. 1 because they're cheap and 2 because I'm a powerlifter so bumper plates aren't efficient for me. If I could have afforded calibrated plates I would have went that route.

TangoSierra916

Major Hide Member
    Hessian
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2017
    Milwaukee, WI
    I got the Rogue steel Olympic plates. 1 because they're cheap and 2 because I'm a powerlifter so bumper plates aren't efficient for me. If I could have afforded calibrated plates I would have went that route.
    I appreciate the reply and sorry for the dumb question, what do you mean by not efficient? Just that bumper size limits weight on the bar?

One1Bravo

Ops4
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Jul 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I appreciate the reply and sorry for the dumb question, what do you mean by not efficient? Just that bumper size limits weight on the bar?
    Yup, that is correct. They're too wide. I built a platform that I have my rack mounted on and built it big enough to be able to deadlift in front of.

http://instagr.am/p/BfQLfqeF96o/

padronanniversary

Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    that’s an awesome setup!!! I would love a Rogue rack but the issue with the new home gym will be ceiling height. Rogue doesn’t seem to offer any full 4 post rack under 90”, my ceiling height in the basement due to a tray ceiling is exactly 90”. So I may need to cut it down just didn’t want to do that to a new rack. I’ve also really been looking at the rep fitnessPr-5000 since it’s 80” tall.

@padronanniversary - I would love the Sorinex they are phenomenal but there setups won’t clear the basement ceiling sadly. Sweet setup though!!!

that was my issue, with the flooring I was very close to the basement joists. I ended up painting the ceiling black and not dry wall the ceiling. It gave it an industrial look you see at restaurants and bar. the added 8-10” between joists also helps with storing bars vertically, at least taking them out of the holder

have a lot more plates and other items since this pic, but give you an idea. And no sway at all on rack. I keep seeing racks when people rerack move back and forth, that would drive me crazy

Attachments

padronanniversary

Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    I forgot to add, it’s real easy to cut posts down if needed. I help a friend with his, he was an inch short. you can always stick vertical posts higher too without cross members being at the same height. I wanted to maximize my height for pull ups, and it just happened the sorinex rack was as close as possible without cutting. they can also cut down your posts if you request direct from factory. Rogue offers that but right now their lead time is crazy long for any customization, if they still offer it at all

TangoSierra916

Major Hide Member
    Hessian
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2017
    Milwaukee, WI
    I forgot to add, it’s real easy to cut posts down if needed. I help a friend with his, he was an inch short. you can always stick vertical posts higher too without cross members being at the same height. I wanted to maximize my height for pull ups, and it just happened the sorinex rack was as close as possible without cutting. they can also cut down your posts if you request direct from factory. Rogue offers that but right now their lead time is crazy long for any customization, if they still offer it at all
    thats an awesome setup and the green gives some sweet energy!!! Im leaning more and more towards cutting the top 1-3" off the rack once its in the room assembled. Due to the tray ceiling I can get it assembled and at 300-400 lbs move it back and see clearance, dont want to cut a new rack but seems like it should be ok.

padronanniversary

Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    and if you get a chance regupol flooring is so nice compared to stall mats. no smell, no gap, seems you can’t tell it’s there and easy to install. the 200+ lbs rolls were heavy to carry down stairs by myself. price wise yes they are more expensive but looks and functions phenomenal

this is 10% fleck and a pic of the ceiling

Attachments

padronanniversary

Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    by the way mirrors were not bad price wise for big mirrors vs buying them at a store. had a few glass shops quote, under $500 for 8x16 1/4” and 8x4 and that included install. the quotes vary big time if they are busy or if they want to do small jobs like this

M8541Reaper

Frozen Sour Patch Kid Cult Leader
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Jul 23, 2011
    Belgium
    1. If you use stall mats, be sure to buy some mending plates from Home Depot. That will keep your mats from slipping apart in the gym area.

2. Rogue makes amazing equipment, so no need to worry about quality. If you live within driving distance of a military town, be sure to watch FB marketplace and CL for awesome deals during peak PCS season (May-Aug, although this year will be a bit later lol). Talking Rogue Ohio bars barely used for $100, KBs/med balls/sleds/etc all super cheap.

3. I have a generic heavy duty squat cage that’s 2”x2” steel construction that allows me to use Rogue crossmember sections with it. Had the cage since college and it’s a solid setup so I couldn’t justify buying a rogue to replace something that is safe and works. You can always attach most of the available rogue accessories to other cages, should you buy a different brand but like something that Rogue offers. However I did just upgrade the pull up bar to a rogue 2” fat bar. Definitely a must have.

But yea man, watch them during Black Friday if you want some good deals with shipping or bulk purchases. One thing I can say is that their customer service team does an awesome job, shipping is fast, and the equipment will last a few generations.

ntrinsik

Private
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Jul 19, 2017
    WI

Ah. IIRC I’m at about 100” for the ceiling height on my basement so I went 90”. Add another 3” for the platform. No experience on the PR-5000 but it’s reviewed pretty well and looks real good for the price. I have their FB-5000 bench which is pretty damn good for the price.

ntrinsik

Private
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Jul 19, 2017
    WI
    that was my issue, with the flooring I was very close to the basement joists. I ended up painting the ceiling black and not dry wall the ceiling. It gave it an industrial look you see at restaurants and bar. the added 8-10” between joists also helps with storing bars vertically, at least taking them out of the holder

have a lot more plates and other items since this pic, but give you an idea. And no sway at all on rack. I keep seeing racks when people rerack move back and forth, that would drive me crazy
    That looks great. If I ever get my basement done I’ll prob do the same with the black ceilings. Did you do it yourself?

padronanniversary

Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    That looks great. If I ever get my basement done I’ll prob do the same with the black ceilings. Did you do it yourself?

yes ceiling is easy. just buy one of those cheap wagner ceiling sprayers after u have your can lights and wiring in. just fill the can with newspapers and spray away. Just make sure you have drop curtains on everything you don’t want covered with over spray, and completely seal off room. the prep of ceiling off room took more time than actually spraying the ceiling. don’t use cheap paint, u go through twice as much. My friend had a smaller room he did took 2 gallons vs 1 that I did.

for reference my room is 18x 24’

Reactions: ntrinsik

Blaster7Romeo

Private
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    May 23, 2010
    Hendersonville NC
    What you go with may be based on avalibilty. It is hard to find ANYTHING in stock.. well as of 2 weeks ago.. my gym has been closed sence mid march and I have been revisiting the home gym idea... the price of fitness stuff has doubled on the secondary market and you cant find anything in stock.. it is worse than guns and ammo lol

My plan is pick out what I want and wait until life is back to normal and the prices fall like guns was last year.. lol.

Becase.. this is going to happen again.. I just never thought I would have needed to add a gym and a pallet of toilet paper to my prep list..

I have been watching some you tube videos to get my knowledge base up for when everyone desides to sell off the stuff the panic bought .. I have been liking garage gym reviews channel

Toddlouis27

Private
    Minuteman
    Dec 30, 2019
    Former gym manager here. For what it’s worth anyways lol.

When I was hired as manager we ordered a ton of rogue equipment because of price and quality. We had roughly 50-75 people a day come into squat and we had two of the rogue monster squat stands. We could bench, squat and deadlift with bands on it if/when needed.

It has a small footprint with a huge usage. If they ever come into stock again, I plan on getting one for my home gym.

Rogue is definitely the way to go in my opinion.

Attachments

TangoSierra916

Major Hide Member
    Hessian
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2017
    Milwaukee, WI
    Former gym manager here. For what it’s worth anyways lol.

When I was hired as manager we ordered a ton of rogue equipment because of price and quality. We had roughly 50-75 people a day come into squat and we had two of the rogue monster squat stands. We could bench, squat and deadlift with bands on it if/when needed.

It has a small footprint with a huge usage. If they ever come into stock again, I plan on getting one for my home gym.

Rogue is definitely the way to go in my opinion.
    that does seem like a great option. After a few weeks researching I’m down to the rack you mentioned, Rogue rml-690 or Rep Pr-5000.

did you have experience with rep at all?

TangoSierra916

Major Hide Member
    Hessian
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2017
    Milwaukee, WI
    What you go with may be based on avalibilty. It is hard to find ANYTHING in stock.. well as of 2 weeks ago.. my gym has been closed sence mid march and I have been revisiting the home gym idea... the price of fitness stuff has doubled on the secondary market and you cant find anything in stock.. it is worse than guns and ammo lol

My plan is pick out what I want and wait until life is back to normal and the prices fall like guns was last year.. lol.

Becase.. this is going to happen again.. I just never thought I would have needed to add a gym and a pallet of toilet paper to my prep list..

I have been watching some you tube videos to get my knowledge base up for when everyone desides to sell off the stuff the panic bought .. I have been liking garage gym reviews channel

Coop and his reviews have helped a lot so great recommendation there. I’m sort of stuck between a full cage and stand type of setup. Lol

Blaster7Romeo

Private
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    May 23, 2010
    Hendersonville NC
    I am kind of leaning to the rep HR 5000 I want to be able to to do pull ups to.. but dont feel like I need a full cage.. I want to be able load a bar on the safties o and be able to pick it up.. back up 2 or 3 steps and do bent over rows.. or strait legend or Romanian dead lifts and put back on the safties to easily rack and unpack the bar.. the cage would just stop me from doing that .. and none of the gyms I have been a member of have had full cages.. so I just dont see the point

Last edited:

TangoSierra916

Major Hide Member
    Hessian
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2017
    Milwaukee, WI
    I am kind of leaning to the rep 5000 I want to be able to to do pull ups to.. but dont feel like I need a full cage.. I want to be able load a bar on the safties o and be able to pick it up.. back up 2 or 3 steps and do bent over rows.. or strait legend or Romanian dead lifts and put back on the safties to easily rack and unpack the bar.. the cage would just stop me from doing that .. and none of the gyms I have been a member of have had full cages.. so I just dont see the point
    that makes sense, would you be going the 5000 half rack then?

Crabcore

Sergeant of the Hide
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Aug 2, 2019
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have a Rep PR-1000 with the weight storage and lat pull down add-ons. I really like this, and it is an 83" tall rack. I had a similar issue where a 90" rack would't fit in my basement. The lat pulldown does add 2 inches or so in height, but in my basement i have them between joists. This is all still cheaper than a basic Rogue rack.

I also went for the Rep AB-3100 bench. Also very happy with this, especially for the price.

I got a Rogue Operator bad and all Rogue plates. I got the Echo 45 and 25 pound bumper plates, and then basic iron plates for 10s, 5s, and a set of 2.5s.

I have not bolted my rack down and have not had it budge while doing pullups. I did not want to put holes in my floor. This all sits on 4 6'x4' horse stall mats.

The only thing I later added was a Rogue EZ-curl bar.

This has been a great setup for me.

TangoSierra916

Major Hide Member
    Hessian
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2017
    Milwaukee, WI
    thanks for all the insight. I went with the Rogue RML-690 rack, with stall mats on the floor and it clears the ceiling by 1/4" lol so its perfect. I configured it in a T shape for space efficiency and weight plate access. Im loving it!

Also added a few accessories including the landmine, monolift arms (which are sweet), dip setup and the pull up bar.

Attachments

Last edited:
    Reactions: M8541Reaper

--BLACKOUT--

Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Jan 25, 2011
    Silver City, New Mexico
    I have a Rogue RM-3. Wish I spent the extra on the RM-4 but that can be fixed later. Buy during the $5 shipping on Black Friday if that’s a concern for you. View attachment 7350158
    Is the arm with the heavy bag attached to it, connected to anything else besides the rack? Was looking to do the same thing but wasn't exactly sure how to execute it? Some info would be appreciated. Thanks

ntrinsik

Private
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Jul 19, 2017
    WI
    Is the arm with the heavy bag attached to it, connected to anything else besides the rack? Was looking to do the same thing but wasn't exactly sure how to execute it? Some info would be appreciated. Thanks
    It’s hanging off their monster shrimp trawler attachment with shackle.

Mike_in_FL

Supporter
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Feb 29, 2008
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Hey everyone,

Did a search on the brand names in the title and didn't find much. Anyone here have experience with any of the 3 brands as far as a squat rack/rig and other gear is concerned?

The home gym will be roughly 13 ft by 16ft with 9ish ft ceiling height. Trying to use space effectively while not sacrificing strength of the setup. Was looking at the wall mounted setups of each but dont want to go with a setup that may damage the wall when the freestanding is only a bit more $.

any pictures or insight would help, thank you!
    Ever checked out these? https://www.newyorkbarbells.com/powerracks.html I'm ordering one at some point, these seem like a reasonable price to me. They're branded as TDS as well I think. They've been sold on Amazon in the past.

Tonsofguns

Private
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Feb 24, 2017
    Northern Va

lol got to get your story right before ranting like that.

rogue is hands down the highest quality stuff out there right now and you get more bang for your buck with their stuff than most other brands

my current set up is a rogue squat rack and bench and Ohio bar and all made solid and priced reasonably. the Ohio bar which is less than $300 is rated higher than bars which are much more expensive.