• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Hornady 300 PRC Long Action Magnum

Just Macca

Mealteam 6
Minuteman
May 13, 2013
Australia
Not sure if you guys have seen this, but Hornady appears to be developing a beltless replacement to the 300WM with a 30 degree shoulder.
https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/300-PRC-Public-Introduction.pdf

There's a bit of a thread on Longerangehunting for your information. Will make forming brass for the 7LRM a much easier process and cheaper than buying ready made.

EDIT - A further search located Mr Tooley's thread in the ELR sub-forum. My mistake, although may get more interest here.

Last edited:
While I'm always interested in new chamberings and the 300 PRC looks like it'll offer some interesting possibilities (namely 300 WM-class performance with a shorter COAL), I have to admit that I don't understand the bitching, pissing, and moaning about belted cartridges. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to NOT have a belt than to have one, but in my experience (300 WM and 338 WM), it's not really an obstacle.

I purchased the Larry Willis die to squeeze my cases all the way to the belt, but have found that once it's done I haven't had to do it again (though I realize that this has to do with the particular chamber in the gun in which the case is fired).

While I'm always interested in new chamberings and the 300 PRC looks like it'll offer some interesting possibilities (namely 300 WM-class performance with a shorter COAL), I have to admit that I don't understand the bitching, pissing, and moaning about belted cartridges. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to NOT have a belt than to have one, but in my experience (300 WM and 338 WM), it's not really an obstacle.

I purchased the Larry Willis die to squeeze my cases all the way to the belt, but have found that once it's done I haven't had to do it again (though I realize that this has to do with the particular chamber in the gun in which the case is fired).

I see what you're saying, and there's definitely merit to it.

There's truly very little new in the firearms world, but we're certainly in an age of refinements. Look at the 6.5 Creedmoor for example.

I see this as a very logical final evolution of the standard magnum. Now that firearms manufacturers (AI and Barrett) are starting to pick up the round, all we need is a brass manufacturer like Lapua and we've hit critical mass. Would make sense for Lapua to pick up the round, as there's no 300 Win Mag in their line up.

Reactions: W54/XM-388