• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing New hunters looking for first time hunt

Familydude

Spending my kids’ paltry inheritance on hobbies
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 14, 2020
    California
    Couple co-workers and I live in Southern CA (pause for the usual anti-CA bashing…). We recently got our hunting licenses after deciding it would be a nice, recreational get-away.

This was after speaking to other co-workers whom are experienced and hunt regularly. The issues we later discovered were time, location and cost. Something our co-workers sort of left out of our conversations. Probably because these issues are not of concern to them.

Our goal was to get away semi-locally for just a brief period if possible. Game would have been pigs we thought. We each shoot/own various rifles to include .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. We all have years behind them for work and hobby, but not hunting.

Any suggestions for something simpler in a hunting trip would be appreciated. We really just want to cut our teeth so to speak and see if it’s something we’d like to continue with greater involvement.

Thanks for any input.

I'm from So Cal too. Other than bird hunting, it's pretty tough around here. I wasted years with little to show for my efforts. A few years ago I decided to seek opportunities in other states.

I'm from So Cal too. Other than bird hunting, it's pretty tough around here. I wasted years with little to show for my efforts. A few years ago I decided to seek opportunities in other states.
    That’s what I’m afraid of…

Well you just missed deer season, I've gotten my tag filled on Palomar mountain ever year. And there are some ranches up north in Riverside area and further that have pigs around. While I personally am past high fence hunts, it's a good way to figure out if it's for you.

Find the groundhog equivalent in Cali. Varmints in general. That can get you comfortable with wind holds and improvised field positions.

Start small

Reactions: Familydude
    Good luck. Unless you know where to go pretty much any hunting is guided on private lands.

Try Yelp

You guys still have internet access to gun/hunting related web pages in Cali? Sorry, had to lol.
    We do, tons of info but was a bit confusing since I’ve never gone. Public land, private land, what’s recommended, who to stay away from, etc. Much like many other threads on the hide, after gathering all the info you can, you turn to those with inside knowledge and experience.

Reactions: SniperBro
    Good luck. Unless you know where to go pretty much any hunting is guided on private lands.

Try Yelp
    I checked out Yelp last night. Some place called Hogs Wild or something. Was hard to tell if they were even still in business. A simple phone call would solve that I know however, some of their ratings were horrible, others glowing.

The 3 of are all looking. Just don’t want to get roped into a crappy experience with the limited time we have.

You might try visiting some local gun shops and or taxidermy and asking around. Also might have to head a north into Santa Barbara/ San Louis county.

You might try visiting some local gun shops and or taxidermy and asking around. Also might have to head a north into Santa Barbara/ San Louis county.
    Much appreciated. Sifting through it all now. Got 2 to 3 possibles. Once again, I appreciate the insider knowledge.

I recommend a real hunt and not a game ranch. Maybe just sour hunting for you and youll never know the truth. Tajon is wild not bullshit.

Reactions: Mr. Z
    I recommend a real hunt and not a game ranch. Maybe just sour hunting for you and youll never know the truth. Tajon is wild not bullshit.
    Already checked out the website based on your previous recommendation. Looks very cool. Sent the info to my coworkers and told them to start squirreling away their money. We want a challenge, but aren’t experienced enough to go out on our own and track, etc. This seems like the perfect balance.

Thanks all!!

Much appreciated. Sifting through it all now. Got 2 to 3 possibles. Once again, I appreciate the insider knowledge.
    La mesa fine firearms and the Bow and arrow shop in Lakeside are the shops you may want to hang around

La mesa fine firearms and the Bow and arrow shop in Lakeside are the shops you may want to hang around
    Thanks. Wanted to check out La Mesa Fine Firearms to see what they’re all about.

There is much to be said for hunting wild animals.

Many of those “hunting” outfits are really just game farms and harvest operations.

That said I still shoot canned pheasants every year and have a ton of fun doing it. There just shouldn’t be a price tag hanging on the ear of that big buck.

.308 Win and 6.5 C are just fine for hunting deer. I have seen a guy bring down a Canadian moose with Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor 143 grain ELD-X. Accuracy more than size. California has zones that you can hunt. There is a YouTube channel called a I think, loljeeb. They are a small group Hmong guys who hunt by driving. Check them out and get used to lots of walking.

I was born in California and lived there until I was ten years old. In 1974, we moved to Texas and I have been here since then.